You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Multi-tabling Advice

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I am currently playing NL4 a bit and really enjoying it. I've never multi-tabled so I'm thinking of maybe giving 2 ago and see how I fair. My questions are:
1. What kind of BR do I need for 2 tables(I always sit with the max)
2. Should playing 2 tables affect my opening range

All answers and any other advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Multitabling will affect your reads on players. If you are playing 2 tables then it won't make a huge difference (only 10 players to keep track of) but if you are playing more then you will probably lose the more subtle reads so playing marginal hands and hero calling successfully can be difficult. Not that I would recomend doing either at NL4.

As for BRM just keep it the same. You should have 20 buy-ins to play cash so you need £80 to play NL4. This applies if you are playing one table or ten tables. The exception is if you are prone to tilt and find that a beat on one table will affect your play on other tables. I find that playing 6-8 tables actually improves my ability to handle tilt because I find that I don't watch the results of hands. Say that I get into a raising war with KK pre flop and we get it all in then I stop looking once I see what he has. I just make a note and top up if necessary next time the table pops up.

Opening range at NL4 should be pretty tight. You only bet for value at this level so you need hands that will play well on the majority of flops ATs+ AJo+ and TT+ raise to 20p (more if previous limpers) 3-bet with QQ+ and AK and make small raises or open limp with small pocket pairs for set-mining only. Playing lots of tables makes waiting for these value hands less borring.

Run good and happy grinding
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks for the reply jugglegeek. I played 2 tables for the first time yesterday for a couple of hours. Found it tough going at the start but settled into it eventually. I think it will take a few more sessions before I'm comfortable.
    I took your advice on opening range and how to bet and found while I was folding more than usual at least I wasn't getting into awkward spots post flop. I ended the session up around 1.5 buy ins. Thanks again
  • edited January 2012
    Hi lyonsie.

Juggle has it pretty much covered. Its good advice to follow.

Personally, i dont like to have more than 10% of my roll in play at any one time. My current roll is £320 and i am comfortable playing 4 tables which gives me a limit of £32. This allows me to play 4xNL8 tables or 2xNL10 tables and 2xNL4 tables, you get the picture. It is a personal thing. 

When i first opened up two tables i couldnt keep up lol. I found that if you try opening a 10 seater NL4 table alongside your 6 seater table that the 10-seater plays fewer hands per hour due to more people making decisions and this could help you if you find it a bit frantic. This obviously works when you move to 3 tables etc.

I found using the 10-seater tables as a stepping stone worked really well, even if it just gives you a few more seconds.

Good luck.
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks DrSharp. I've never played on a 10 person table so I might give it a go. Played 2 tables for an hour today and it went okay although there was a couple of times I found myself rushing decisions but I'm sure with practice I'll get use to it. Is it right to C bet a flop at NL 4 if theres been no action before you and if you do and get called should you check/fold if you miss the turn.
  • edited January 2012
    Lyonsie, there are certain circumstances needed for c-bets at NL4 and you will find these conditions in the link below. Its a guide for small stakes cash and there are 3 parts i think. Have a look over it, digest it, stick to it and watch your roll grow. When it does, find DOHHHHHHH, and give him a big thankyou! Good luck sir!