You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HU SnG - Why Didn't My Bluff Work?

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I've removed the player name but he is known round the forums and he'll know who he is.

Any thoughts of why you think my bluff didn't work here? I think it looks massively believable that his hand (after seeing his cards) is never gonna be good here.

Do you think it was bad play from me? His call was based on the fact he know's I have some 'play' but I was quite shocked to hear that lol, I don't think I'm that wild and I usually play pretty straight forward (obviously not 100%, as below)
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Lambert180 Small blind   10.00 10.00 990.00
XX Big blind   20.00 30.00 980.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

Lambert180 Raise   30.00 60.00 960.00
XX Raise   60.00 120.00 920.00
Lambert180 Call   40.00 160.00 920.00
Flop

XX Bet   80.00 240.00 840.00
Lambert180 Call   80.00 320.00 840.00
Turn

XX Check        
Lambert180 Bet   200.00 520.00 640.00
XX Call   200.00 720.00 640.00
River

XX Check        
Lambert180 All-in   640.00 1360.00 0.00
XX All-in   640.00 2000.00 0.00
Lambert180 Show
  • A

XX Show

XX Win Two Pairs, 5s and 4s 2000.00   2000.00

Comments

• edited January 2012
    What a pathetic 3bet pre ... he must be an idiot.
  • edited January 2012
    oppo is a station )
  • edited January 2012
  • edited January 2012
    He puts u on overs and board isnt scary enough for him to fold

Thing is it doesnt really look like u have much, A10/AJ/KQ/KJ/Q10 all hands around that, firstly you call pre so unlikely you have overpair.

Secondly you flat the flop which you wouldnt do if you had a hand, considering the fd is out unless your on a draw.

Turn and river are very safe and he obviously thinks you can bluff here with overcards/ missed draws

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: HU SnG - Why Didn't My Bluff Work?:
    He puts u on overs and board isnt scary enough for him to fold Thing is it doesnt really look like u have much, A10/AJ/KQ/KJ/Q10 all hands around that, firstly you call pre so unlikely you have overpair. Secondly you flat the flop which you wouldnt do if you had a hand, considering the fd is out unless your on a draw. Turn and river are very safe and he obviously thinks you can bluff here with overcards/ missed draws
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Hang on, so it looks like I'm on a draw, then 4 to an OESD come out on the board, and that's not worrying? Even if I had cards around the straight on the flop but still didn't hit it, I'm gonna have a better pair than 4s. I wouldn't say the turn and river are VERY safe... I'd say it opens up a massive range of hands that you're behind to Ax to make a better pair or Ax to make the straight just to name a couple.
  • edited January 2012
    I'm gonna be honest and tell you I put you in the Q10ish area, you prob wouldn't try 4betting a hand like that, when you called the flop I just thought overcardssss, tbh the river was a bit scary, but I gave you credit for being able to make a big move especially considering we were playing these games as a fun little HU challenge.

Essentially, I was trapping with bottom pair : )
  • edited January 2012
    I'm gonna be honest and tell you I put you in the Q10ish area, you prob wouldn't try 4betting a hand like that, when you called the flop I just thought overcardssss, tbh the river was a bit scary, but I gave you credit for being able to make a big move especially considering we were playing these games as a fun little HU challenge. Essentially, I was trapping with bottom pair : )
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Lol ok. Clearly I was owned by your 5-2 win last night, have to give it another go sometime.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: HU SnG - Why Didn't My Bluff Work? : Lol ok. Clearly I was owned by your 5-2 win last night, have to give it another go sometime.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I had a bit of run good on my side : ) had AA twice and got paid both times, although you did bink a 2 outer at one point :P

Deffo up for it again soon!
  • ybyb
    edited January 2012
    give off on the flop imo, i think you're nowhere near deep enough to be floating profitably, especially when you have so little equity on that board
  • edited January 2012
    give up on turn, turn card changes nothing - a better turn card and oppo folds
    paired boards are very bad to bluff on
    only way your knocking oppo off a hand is by betting more on turn and river

• edited January 2012
    give up on turn, turn card changes nothing - a better turn card and oppo folds paired boards are very bad to bluff on only way your knocking oppo off a hand is by betting more on turn and river
    Posted by rancid
    I shoved the river, I can't bet any bigger than that
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: HU SnG - Why Didn't My Bluff Work? : I shoved the river, I can't bet any bigger than that
    Posted by Lambert180
    turn is more important than river
  • edited January 2012
    no scare cards come.....ur barreling awful cards, if u got a poket pair bigger than the board ur obv making it bigger pre
  • edited January 2012
    no scare cards come.....ur barreling awful cards, if u got a poket pair bigger than the board ur obv making it bigger pre
    Posted by bolly580
    Pre flop I've min-raised pre which I will do with about 80-90% of cards, then he just min-re-raises, and I'm never folding to a min-re-raise there in position heads up. So I don't think I can be put on any hand at all preflop, so it's more down to my betting post flop and I bet the exact same way with a strong hand on that board.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: HU SnG - Why Didn't My Bluff Work? : Pre flop I've min-raised pre which I will do with about 80-90% of cards, then he just min-re-raises, and I'm never folding to a min-re-raise there in position heads up. So I don't think I can be put on any hand at all preflop, so it's more down to my betting post flop and I bet the exact same way with a strong hand on that board.
    Posted by Lambert180
    It wasn't quite a min3bet!
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: HU SnG - Why Didn't My Bluff Work? : It wasn't quite a min3bet!
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Oh yeah, just looked, you're right, still though, in position I aint folding anything that I'm willing to raise with to that bet.

Let me know when you're up for a rematch.