You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hitting top pair with junk from the blinds.

Sorry guys, can't seem to find the hand but i will explain the situation.

Basically, micro stakes where ABC poker rules. I hold 9,4 offsuit on the big blind. Its a 10-handed cash table and is a limpalotathon. There are 5 limpers, including the small blind, and i naturally check in the big blind so we are going 6 handed to the flop, with a pot of 6xbb.

Flop is 2, 9, 5 rainbow, the small blind checks, whats my move? Donk lead out against multi opponents? Check call? Check fold?

As played, i checked and faced a pot sized bet from the button. Do i call? How far do i take this hand?

I know its probably a simple question, but just trying to improve, thanks.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Hitting top pair with junk from the blinds.:
    Sorry guys, can't seem to find the hand but i will explain the situation. Basically, micro stakes where ABC poker rules. I hold 9,4 offsuit on the big blind. Its a 10-handed cash table and is a limpalotathon. There are 5 limpers, including the small blind, and i naturally check in the big blind so we are going 6 handed to the flop, with a pot of 6xbb. Flop is 2, 9, 5 rainbow, the small blind checks, whats my move? Donk lead out against multi opponents? Check call? Check fold? As played, i checked and faced a pot sized bet from the button. Do i call? How far do i take this hand? I know its probably a simple question, but just trying to improve, thanks.
    Posted by DrSharp
    as played i would fold

u can donk lead the flop if u want but i wouldnt bet more than 2/3 of pot. ob. a b/f
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks Gregg!

I check folded. Did'nt know if this was too weak! :-S
  • edited January 2012
    At micro stakes with no reads I think check fold is the most profitable play. Generally limpped pots are small so if you do bet then your 1/2 pot bet will look very small. If there are six to the flop then it's 3xBB into a 6xBB pot. 100BBs deep you will get called by players with any one pair hand and any two over cards. You might take down the pot from an early possition bet if the rest of the table is playing tight and will fold these hands but then you could do that without a hand!

junk in the blinds are for making two pair hands that beat top pair top kicker
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Hitting top pair with junk from the blinds.:
    At micro stakes with no reads I think check fold is the most profitable play. Generally limpped pots are small so if you do bet then your 1/2 pot bet will look very small. If there are six to the flop then it's 3xBB into a 6xBB pot. 100BBs deep you will get called by players with any one pair hand and any two over cards. You might take down the pot from an early possition bet if the rest of the table is playing tight and will fold these hands but then you could do that without a hand! junk in the blinds are for making two pair hands that beat top pair top kicker
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Thats pretty much my view. I have sort of been treading water money wise and checked my stats out and i seem to becoming a bit passive/trappy so am trying to up my raise % and 3-bet% to get some aggression back in my game. Just wondered if this was a spot where i was too passive.
  • edited January 2012
    Yep easy check fold especially 10-handed where hand values go down.

If you do bet out even 3/4 pot you're always getting flatted and then you're in trouble when the turn brings an overcard and you have to decide whether to bet again or check fold. 

Like Juggle said if you can hit two-pair/trips in the BB then happy days bet pot and go crazy but TPNK is pretty much no hand 6-handed OOP.
  • edited January 2012

Aggression sharp is good, but choose your spots

Leading into a multi way limped pot is suicide )

c/c is ok, but hey c/f is easy right

what does oppo pot bet mean, either bluff or got your beat so…….

You need solid reads here to consider c/c