You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

when to leave

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
i consider myself a reasonably good microstakes player, and I could probably fair up pretty well against some of the higher stakes, say £100 maybe even £200 nl when i'm actually tuned in and playing properly.  The problem i have is one or two bad beats and I'm my own worsed enemy.  I managed to take the free games and develop it into a workable bankroll, and then lose half of it whilst on tilt that resulted from a few bad beats.  I know I can (when thinking about what I'm doing) murder the limits i'm playing at at the moment, and I dont mean to sound arrogant.  I just go ape when I see players floating me and hitting miracles.  Just a suggestions on how to cope with tilt, and how long some people might walk away for after a particularly bad run, because to be honest, tilting is the worsed part of my game.  When I'm thinking about what I'm doing, I play very well, and generally I'm up every night, just when i'm tilting, i can lose three to four times the amount i make, per night and its pretty demoralising.  Any relaxation methods guys?  One request... please dont send replies that berate or are unconstructive criticisms as they will be ignored.  keep it nice!

Comments

• edited January 2012
    i find it helps if i look at the big losing hand straight away on hh. you have to "make peace" with what just happened to your money.
    some people dont tilt, doesnt affect me so im lucky, some people i know go nutz.
    look at hand. was it a) bad play on my part. if it was then no point getting upset about it, just dont do it again!
    b) bad play by them, this should make you happy, its easier to take money off of bad players!
    c) poker gods, even we cant control the gods, glass of wine move on.
  • edited January 2012
      To answer your question. Whilst you are sat down you wil know if you start to make bad decisions and chasing and this is the time to immediately walk away. It doesnt matter if you are up or down at this point, this is when you must leave because you will only end up losing lots or just relying on major suckouts to win.

Getting emotionally involved/tilting during a game is a really bad thing to do because it very quickly leads to bad decision making.The only real cure for tilt is to step away from the table turn the computer off and go and do something else.You should even consider returning until you have calmed down and are thinking clearly.

Got to agree with poddy here about going through the HH to check if there were not mistakes made in hands. Berating others play when we lose is easy, harder is admitting that we could have made a mistake ourselves.

And a final point about bad beats. You can only receive a bad beat if you get your money in good, so getting a bad beat means you are playing the game right.