You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should you ever think you're behind in this situation?

I've been thinking about this hand for the last couple of days and wondering if the situation was reversed, could I have just flat called the river instead? Obviously initial thoughts are if I've got the 9's, I'm re-raising the river 99/100 believing I'm miles ahead because there's only two hands beating me - Quads and Aces! However when I look back at the betting, what hand would call the flop, check the turn and re-re-raise the river that couldn't beat 9's full? Could *unlucky* have found reason to just call the river or is this just one occasion where the money's destined to end up in the middle? 

Ace 6 would think they're ahead as could possible back door flushes but you'd think *unlucky* would know my game well enough from playing few hours together that I'd not re-raise on paired board unless I'm 100% winning! Busted flush/straight draws might bluff the river but would lay it down to the re-raise so once that came, what would you be puting opponent on? It's got to be either Ace 6 or something that's got you crushed so when does just calling the river become acceptable? Would you just call and be happy with the already sizable pot? Isn't it the same as the board coming K Q 2 5 9 rainbow (holding pocket Queens) and having someone re-re-raise you on the river? You'd still only have the third best hand so wouldn't you just call in that spot? I'm starting to contradict myself here because as I've said, I'd be rubbing my hands together if holding the 9's but more I think about it, could you ever realistically think you're behind and just make crying call?

I'm expecting lots of ''in the long term it's wrong to just call'' and ''you shouldn't be playing poker if you're not looking to get maximum value from that hand'' replies because that's what I'd be saying aswell but thought it would be interesting hand to get some discussion going!

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceTHEKOP235Small blind £0.15£0.15£18.80dogyot960Big blind £0.30£0.45£10.64recco79Sit out     Your hole cards66   Action_DanCall £0.30£0.75£24.59*unlucky*Call £0.30£1.05£46.36BA14Call £0.30£1.35£14.39THEKOP235Call £0.15£1.50£18.65dogyot960Check    Flop  696   THEKOP235Check    dogyot960Check    Action_DanCheck    *unlucky*Check    BA14Bet £0.90£2.40£13.49THEKOP235Fold    dogyot960Call £0.90£3.30£9.74Action_DanCall £0.90£4.20£23.69*unlucky*Call £0.90£5.10£45.46Turn  3   dogyot960Check    Action_DanCheck    *unlucky*Check    BA14Check    River  A   dogyot960Check    Action_DanBet £2.55£7.65£21.14*unlucky*Raise £5.10£12.75£40.36BA14Fold    dogyot960Fold    Action_DanRaise £11.00£23.75£10.14*unlucky*Raise £16.90£40.65£23.46Action_DanAll-in<td style="padding-top:7px;padding-right:5px;padding-bottom:7px;

Comments

• edited November 2009
    You're over-analysing this. Flopping quads against the big full will happen once every 2 million hands I guess, and whenever it happens all the money is going into the middle.
  • edited November 2009
    For me the interesting part is in the River. When the bet went in, was raised and then re-raised, I was surprised at the action of *unlucky*. Major alarm bells would and should have been going off in my head.

I can understand the "check" action but would have preferred to slow play with a small bet saying I clearly have nothing but am trying to steal. But in saying that you got paid on the river so enjoy it.

Well done.
  • edited November 2009
    YOU PUSH AT ANY TIME AFTER THE FLOP IN THIS HAND HES CALLING HES HIT WHAT MUST LOOK TO HIM AS THE DREAM HAND HE CAN ONLY LOOSE AFTER FLOP TO 66 AND ON THE RIVER TO AA.
    AS BLUSTER SAYS ITS A 1 IN A MILLION SHOT JUST SMILE COUNT THE CASH AND WAIT FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS TO HIT A HAND THAT GOOD AGAIN 
  • edited November 2009
    If I was *unlucky* I'd be getting the car keys to chuck in the middle.
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for your replies - yeah definitely agree, I'd be getting the money in here every day of the week and twice on Sundays but just thought it was interesting to try and work out what he thought I could have because as Urdadi said, there should be some alarm bells going off because he knows I'm not doing that re-re-raise with junk!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Should you ever think you're behind in this situation?:
    If I was *unlucky* I'd be getting the car keys to chuck in the middle.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    If you were that unlucky getting into the car would be a major achievement. More likely to keel over and die just as you get to third base with the person of your dreams.