You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

sky poker... the danger of first impressions

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat

One of the main reasons i got myself a laptop last year was to be able to play poker online. 

For whatever reason, skypoker was one of the first sites i was aware of, and registered with.  But my early impressions of this site was of arrogant players that were quick to mouth off at bad play and outdraws.  This was based on comments made in the chatbox towards me or others, typically "idiot" or the like.

I now freely admit that this was a grossly unfair generalisation to make, as the forum in particular has impressed me with the number of players contributing advice and ideas, and making selfless contributions.  Recently, the humour in the forums has been fantastic and the blogs a great success.

What concerns me, however, is that had i not got into the habit of reading the forums and getting involved, I'd have shyed away from playing on this site.  If truth be told, i am still slightly wary of comments  in the chat box, and while I am now better educated about the rules about chat and the procedure for reporting those that disrespect the rules, it still impacts on my enjoyment of a game.

The point i wanted to make is that the recent activity to get more people involved in the forum has to be a good thing, and maybe that will help other players like me to see beyond the minority of rude players and appreciate the vast majority of good friendly players that play here.  I can name countless players on here that i would be happy to share a table with, yet cannot name a single one of those that have abused or offended me.

I encourage all that participate in the forums to welcome noew contributors and go easy on those that post threads that have previously been covered.

Ray 

Comments

• edited November 2009
    music to my ears...
  • edited November 2009
    Most people don't pay attention to the chat, just like most sky poker users don't pay attention to the forums.

EDIT:  Also I think Sky encourages the use of the phrase 'idiot' as it is one of the template phases on offer when you play via your TV.
  • edited November 2009
    thanks for raising this one scotty. the tv templates are currently under review and this one will certainly be removed.

for bringing this one to attention please enjoy free entry in tonight's double stack (8pm)  *courtesy of Sky bernie (aka 'Sky Santa' as we have just renamed him in the office)*
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker... the danger of first impressions:
    thanks for raising this one scotty. the tv templates are currently under review and this one will certainly be removed. for bringing this one to attention please enjoy free entry in tonight's double stack (8pm)  *courtesy of Sky bernie (aka 'Sky Santa' as we have just renamed him in the office)*
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    wow thanks Rich.  I'm already in the Double Stack so shall I unregister?

EDIT unregistered
  • edited November 2009
    You will always get insulting and abusive remarks in the chat box. Some players use this to gain an advantage over the table. Unless they start swearing or insulting your race, colour, nationality etc, it stands I'm afraid. However, it doesn't have to work in their favour, you need to understand firstly that it's not actually personal to you, very often it's a tactic they use in an attempt to put you on tilt.

I've had this for years and I smile now when I come across someone doing this. The knack is to think of yourself as the parent and the offender as the naughty child. I hit back with comments such as the following:

Isn't it past your bedtime?
    How on earth did you manage to get hold of your Dad's credit card, you'll be in trouble when he gets home.
    You should be in bed by now, it's school tomorrow.
    Calm down and take the medication the nice doctor gave you.
    Isn't it time you took your medication.
    It seemed fair to me (when you've just sucked out and they explode) I use this a lot :)
    It's embarrassing I know but you shouldn't be so hard on yourself (this is for the one word insult aimed at you)

You get the idea. No need to abuse or argue back, just take the higher ground and they will give up, I promise you, if anyone goes on tilt it will be them.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Scotty

you may be right scotty, but the point i'm making concerns those that DO pay attention to the chat, and DO take a look at the forum.  I'm simply suggesting that the forum may actually help players decide to stick with sky poker, as has happened in my case.

I've no experience of playing through my tv, so i cannot comment on that other than to say that i'm not in a hurry to be called an idiot. I've no common sense, I'll grant you, but I dont think i'm an idiot.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker... the danger of first impressions : wow thanks Rich.  I'm already in the Double Stack so shall I unregister? EDIT unregistered
    Posted by scotty77
    and your back in for free now!
  • edited November 2009
    thanks for raising this one scotty. the tv templates are currently under review and this one will certainly be removed. for bringing this one to attention please enjoy free entry in tonight's double stack (8pm)  *courtesy of Sky bernie (aka 'Sky Santa' as we have just renamed him in the office)*
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    Good luck Ryan!

Definitely good to get rid of the term 'idiot' from the TV play.. but surely the deeper question is who was responsible for allowing 'idiot' in the first place!!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker... the danger of first impressions : Good luck Ryan! Definitely good to get rid of the term 'idiot' from the TV play.. but surely the deeper question is who was responsible for allowing 'idiot' in the first place!!
    Posted by Grimstar30
    Dunno.  Probably some massive idiot tbf :)

• edited November 2009
    Its a good point you make Elsadog about the possible strategy behind those comments in the chat box, and your replies are useful ones to have in the locker.  I assume it happens on all sites, but i think if its your first time playing online poker and you are not expecting it, then you can draw the wrong conclusion, which is the idea behind the thread.  The forum here on sky poker can change peoples perspective in a good way.

And well done scotty on your free entry for pointing out the idiot template, and also to sky for taking action to have it removed.

Finally, lol at scottys "probably some idiot tbf". good one.
  • edited November 2009
    It happens everywhere..........either learn to live with it or turn the chat off. I must be a bit perverse because I actually enjoy it. I've had players spitting fire and my best m8 by the time the table breaks up.
  • edited November 2009
    Maybe they got Phil Hellmuth in as a consultant (?) ;-)

Well done Ryan. Nice gesture from Sky yet again!
  • edited November 2009
    Its not an issue for me now, just when i first played as this was the first site i was on. I'd be too nosey to turn the chat off lol
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker... the danger of first impressions : wow thanks Rich.  I'm already in the Double Stack so shall I unregister? EDIT unregistered
    Posted by scotty77
    you jammy IDI.......person ,WD SCOTTY MATE hope you do well in the tourney GL
  • edited November 2009
    It happens everywhere..........either learn to live with it or turn the chat off. I must be a bit perverse because I actually enjoy it.
    Posted by elsadog
    Same here now, but when I first started playing here it did get to me. I remember once in my early days raising with 89s and getting min-reraised and calling, flopped the straight flush 765 and we ended up all-in. The guy had QQ and he and his rail buddy sat there for the rest of the game firing insults in my direction. It really bothered me at the time as I was new to poker and Sky Poker. These days it doesn't bother me at all & they'll just get reported.

• edited November 2009
    Hi noseybonk

my sentiments exactly, and that is why i think the forum plays such a great role.  Without it, there'd be little advice about how to ignore it, report it, etc for newcomers.
  • edited November 2009
    I never call anyone an idiot, however i have said 'you dafty' but only in jest lol
  • edited November 2009
    It happens everywhere..........either learn to live with it or turn the chat off. I must be a bit perverse because I actually enjoy it. I've had players spitting fire and my best m8 by the time the table breaks up.
    Posted by elsadog
    Totally agree. TBH, I tend not to say too much at the tables (multi tasking and all that, lol) but do have the chat on cos sometimes it's just funny watching (reading?) people get so wound up
  • edited November 2009
    When i log into sky poker now i come straight to the forum befire loading any tables. I think the banter and chat on here is top notch. The variety of opinions through threads is great to read and debate on as well. Def think the nastiness has gone - now replaced by good humoured sarkiness!!
  • edited November 2009
    The forum has been a great way to get to know people a lot better and makes playing on the tables much more enjoyable when u bump into a forum regular.
  • edited November 2009
    The forum has been a great way to get to know people a lot better and makes playing on the tables much more enjoyable when u bump into a forum regular.
    Posted by mike1975
    i agree, i now only detest 99% of my opponents ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by mike1975
    There can be a downside. I reply to most posts about MTTs on the strategy forum (I only play MTTs), now everyone has got to know my game!
    As yet it hasn't stopped me from topping up my bankroll, but it can't do me any good in the long term as the bar gets raised!

• edited November 2009
    I don't take any notice of players who use the chat box to hurl abuse at me or other players.
    I just let it all go over my head and just play my own game.
    If they don't like the way I play, so be it. I am comfortable with my play nowadays and won't change it to please them.
  • edited November 2009

"Never complain. Never explain."
  • edited November 2009
    Its a good point you make Elsadog about the possible strategy behind those comments in the chat box, and your replies are useful ones to have in the locker.  I assume it happens on all sites, but i think if its your first time playing online poker and you are not expecting it, then you can draw the wrong conclusion, which is the idea behind the thread.  The forum here on sky poker can change peoples perspective in a good way. And well done scotty on your free entry for pointing out the idiot template, and also to sky for taking action to have it removed. Finally, lol at scottys "probably some idiot tbf". good one.
    Posted by Buistyboy

I know what Elsadog is saying but I don't think abuse of any kind is acceptable. This is a fun game or is meant to be. If you win good if you don't then there is always the next hand.  If you cannot afford to lose then don't play. 

Calling anyone an idiot is not acceptable. Nor is giving abuse to anyone. People have different levels of skill, that does not make them an idiot. All it means is they are on a different phase of the learning curve.

I do like to have a bit of banter during a game, but anyone giving abusive is a coward that sees me switch off the chat function. To be honest though, I have mainly only seen good comments on the chat box.

As for Sky having inappropriate words in the template, shame on you. Glad to see you are taking responsibility to update but to allow that type of language to pass your QA process is disappointing.

Other sites I have played on, I have not had abuse as an issue. Surprised to hear of it hear. If it does occur, do Sky have a process for complaints to be made against the agressor? Do they keep transcripts of the chats?
  • edited November 2009
    Its a good point you make Elsadog about the possible strategy behind those comments in the chat box, and your replies are useful ones to have in the locker.  I assume it happens on all sites, but i think if its your first time playing online poker and you are not expecting it, then you can draw the wrong conclusion, which is the idea behind the thread.  The forum here on sky poker can change peoples perspective in a good way. And well done scotty on your free entry for pointing out the idiot template, and also to sky for taking action to have it removed. Finally, lol at scottys "probably some idiot tbf". good one.
    Posted by Buistyboy

I know what Elsadog is saying but I don't think abuse of any kind is acceptable. This is a fun game or is meant to be. If you win good if you don't then there is always the next hand.  If you cannot afford to lose then don't play. 

Calling anyone an idiot is not acceptable. Nor is giving abuse to anyone. People have different levels of skill, that does not make them an idiot. All it means is they are on a different phase of the learning curve.

I do like to have a bit of banter during a game, but anyone giving abusive is a coward that sees me switch off the chat function. To be honest though, I have mainly only seen good comments on the chat box.

As for Sky having inappropriate words in the template, shame on you. Glad to see you are taking responsibility to update but to allow that type of language to pass your QA process is disappointing.

Other sites I have played on, I have not had abuse as an issue. Surprised to hear of it hear. If it does occur, do Sky have a process for complaints to be made against the agressor? Do they keep transcripts of the chats?
  • edited November 2009
    Other sites I have played on, I have not had abuse as an issue. Posted by Urdadi
    Amazed at this. I've played on all of them and Sky is the friendliest of the lot.
    Sure, people get drunk and words are exchanged at 2 am, but overall sky is the most pleasant by far.

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker... the danger of first impressions : Amazed at this. I've played on all of them and Sky is the friendliest of the lot. Sure, people get drunk and words are exchanged at 2 am, but overall sky is the most pleasant by far.
    Posted by BigBluster
    I agree that Sky is a friendly site. Never played at 2am. two young kids, 60 hour week job so usually in bed long before midnight.

I know longer play the other sites, just Sky, so I suppose it must be doing something right.  Also I do like the fact that experts do join in the chat rooms, people are open to giving advice and the quality of the Sky Channel 865 makes it hard place to beat.
  • edited November 2009
    I ignore all chat boxes so haven't noticed anything... but i will say, it seems more like a 'community' on here than any other poker sites i use... mainly down to this forumy thing.
  • edited November 2009
    I need to spell check before I post. Too many beers after a long long day.