You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash: Pre-flop raise issue

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all.

I've been quite successful on SNGs but I'm trying to make the transition to cash tables. So far I'm not doing too bad but I'm unsure if the amount I raise pre-flop is ok.

I generally raise 3x but people are able to play more deep in cash games so I'm wondering if I should open with a larger amount... maybe 4x or 5x?

At the minute I'm playing low limit cash games and there seems to be a lot of loose players who call a lot. Would raising to a larger amount help?

Cheers.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    So difficult to know how much to raise etc without being on the table ie player,players,history, but if i have pp on these stakes i go 6x generally ie on 5p/10p i make it 60p,If i have ACES down to 10s i only want 1 oppo so would bet to isolate just one player,Hope this helps.
  • edited January 2012
    Cheers for the help guys. xD
  • edited January 2012
    Welcome to the forum Mogul. The best advice by a long way is to read this:

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/poker-school/beat-small-stakes-cash-games-1?tracking=pokersleftnav

It will tell you all you need about beating low stakes cash, and focuses a lot on pre flop raising amounts. I can assure you that if i hadn't posted this link, then someone else would have done! Good luck, see you at the tables.

• edited January 2012
    5x at 4nl

4x is enough at 10nl usually, unless the table is really fishy then bet your big hands 5x.

3x is usually my prefered raise size at 20nl+, but i will change it dependant on the table, the players, my hand and my position.

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Cash: Pre-flop raise issue:
    5x at 4nl 4x is enough at 10nl usually, unless the table is really fishy then bet your big hands 5x. 3x is usually my prefered raise size at 20nl+, but i will change it dependant on the table, the players, my hand and my position.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Your preflop raise sizing should not change dependant on your hand. Position, yes but not the hand. 

You should be raising (whether thats a 3bet or standard preflop raise) to the same amount with AA as well as say 76s. If not, it could  be possible for your opponents to figure out your "hand type" based on your sizing and is a common leak in regs even in the biggest Sky games.

Sim