You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was this rubbish play

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
TheWzlSmall blind 15.0015.003715.00sparrolegsBig blind 30.0045.001685.00 Your hole cardsJA   HotwhealsRaise 150.00195.001775.00gremli22Fold    wayne1958Call 150.00345.002060.00TheWzlFold    sparrolegsFold    Flop  A88   HotwhealsBet 172.50517.501602.50wayne1958Call 172.50690.001887.50Turn  2   HotwhealsBet 345.001035.001257.50wayne1958Call 345.001380.001542.50River  2   HotwhealsBet 690.002070.00567.50wayne1958Call 690.002760.00852.50HotwhealsShowQA   wayne1958MuckJA   HotwhealsWinTwo Pairs, Aces and 8s2760.00 3327.5

Comments

• edited January 2012
    No not really.

River is a worry. 

Think alot of it comes down to your percetion of his range when he raises pre.

As played your kind of stuck with your hand tbh.  I'm hating my hand on river as played, but calling is totally understandable.

Something can be said for losing the min.  A decent portion of players may bet worse + will keep firing with PP's.  But you;re crushed by another portion. 

As said, comes down to your perception of his range in EP.
  • edited January 2012
    His initial 5x UTG would worry me slightly, it's a pretty strong raise and first to act can't have air IMO unless he's a maniac.

Still, being on the btn helps so don't mind flat.

Flop pretty bone dry and he bets standard half pot so flat is fine.

When he bets turn I doubt he's EVER bluffing so I reckon this is where you need to make your mind up, call here and call most rivers/hope for Jack or give him credit for better Ace which tbh I would and fold.

As played river is snap call if you call turn. 
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: was this rubbish play:
    His initial 5x UTG would worry me slightly, it's a pretty strong raise and first to act can't have air IMO unless he's a maniac. Still, being on the btn helps so don't mind flat. Flop pretty bone dry and he bets standard half pot so flat is fine. When he bets turn I doubt he's EVER bluffing so I reckon this is where you need to make your mind up, call here and call most rivers/hope for Jack or give him credit for better Ace which tbh I would and fold. As played river is snap call if you call turn. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I disagree with this

If you know that the player can fire 2 bullets but not 3, then calling the turn and folding the end is fine imo

Im more one for folding this preflop readless personally, a 5x raise utg is normally strong and we cant get much value from AJ.

I usually prefer 3 betting or folding hands like AJ otb and we cant 3 bet an utg opener with these stacks unless we are happy to get it all in preflop imo. Obv cant do that readless!
  • edited January 2012
    I'd mis read the utg pre raise, tho was 25/50 so srd raise.

Agree totally with greghogg on river action.  As said the river bet is a worry.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: was this rubbish play : I disagree with this If you know that the player can fire 2 bullets but not 3, then calling the turn and folding the end is fine imo Im more one for folding this preflop readless personally, a 5x raise utg is normally strong and we cant get much value from AJ. I usually prefer 3 betting or folding hands like AJ otb and we cant 3 bet an utg opener with these stacks unless we are happy to get it all in preflop imo. Obv cant do that readless!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Given reads you can do anything, heck you can make a case for 3bet/calling pre lol, but sadly we danny have such information so in a vacuum after flatting turn river is a super quick snap as board hasn't changed.

I also agree pre is leaned towards a fold for sure.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: was this rubbish play : Given reads you can do anything, heck you can make a case for 3bet/calling pre lol, but sadly we danny have such information so in a vacuum after flatting turn river is a super quick snap as board hasn't changed. I also agree pre is leaned towards a fold for sure.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    readless i fold pre, or, if i call pre, im defo folding turn, so i wont be in the situation you suggest.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: was this rubbish play : readless i fold pre, or, if i call pre, im defo folding turn, so i wont be in the situation you suggest.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Yep I said fold turn too in first reply :).
  • edited January 2012
    thax guys, i was in frame of mind to go all way after flop, had a feeling it was a-high v a high, just 1 of of them hands ,
  • edited January 2012
    if im callin a 5x utg raise with AJ and flop the ace then im going broke. callin flop/foldin turn is daft imo, if that is gonna be your line just fold pre. if the guy has been opening alot of pots and betting lots of streets then i pretty much take your line, or i 3bet pre with the intention of gettin it in. if the guy aint played a hand for about an hour or you have just moved to the table so your completly readless for whatever reason then fold pre. you cant call, flop the world then fold