You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How can I beat the low stakes when I lose all my money to runner runners?

blondbirdSmall blind £0.02£0.02£1.27
selzzzBig blind £0.04£0.06£1.93
 Your hole cards

tadamsCall £0.04£0.10£3.26
acemachineRaise £0.20£0.30£2.37
iain1972Fold    
GoodManFold    
blondbirdFold    
selzzzCall £0.16£0.46£1.77
tadamsFold    
Flop

• K

selzzzCheck    
acemachineBet £0.23£0.69£2.14
selzzzCall £0.23£0.92£1.54
Turn

selzzzCheck    
acemachineBet £0.46£1.38£1.68
selzzzRaise £0.92£2.30£0.62
acemachineAll-in £1.68£3.98£0.00
selzzzAll-in £0.62£4.60£0.00
acemachineUnmatched bet £0.60£4.00£0.60
selzzzShow

acemachineShow

River

selzzzWinStraight to the 6£3.70 £3.70

Comments

• edited January 2012
    unfortunately, this is ON-LINE poker,
    and these bad beats do happen every single day,
    to all players.
    i have been trying to figure out how to beat this level myself,
    for about 18 months now.
    every one keeps on saying how easy it is to win at this low level.

think u just have to decide which is the best way to tackle it.
    playing just 1 or 2 tables is in my opinion,is not ideal
    although i,m sure there are a number of players
    who would disagree.
    i have recently gone up to 4 tables and this has deffo helped.
    as if i lose a hand on 1 table,i am probably winning on another
    so over a long period ie; 3/4/5 hours of playing
    i am usually in some sort of profit.

i am currently writing a post "trying 2 cash @nl4"
    in the general poker chat section,
    so you can always post in there
    if you want to,
    always nice to hear players thoughts and to hear about how they are doing.
     anyway,keep going acemachine,
    and best wishes

devon

• edited January 2012
    Like the raise pre.

Why half pot on a flushing flop with a King on it. This is where we should be shoveling the chips in, you get value from flush draws (they'll call anything at NL4) and any King. Make it 3/4 pot at the very least, i would love the overbet here.

Again, betsizing on the turn is weak, make it 3/4 pot and set him in.

Its an awful beat on the end but at NL4, its all about value for your hands and a set is a very big hand. Unlucky, if you play enough it does come around. Trust me, i have been there and done it.
  • edited January 2012
    You are right Devon, multi-tabling is the way to reduce variance if you think you have the beating of the games you are playing. That said you should be comfortable that the amount you play at still allows you to make optimal decisions. I've upped my tables massively in recent months and am showing a decent profit but I find that 8-9 is about right for me. When I have 11-12+ open it just becomes a click-fest and my thought process suffers(maybe I'm just slow). Of course the other factor is Bankroll management, how much of your roll are you comfortable having on-screen at any one time?

Report back with how you're faring.

Good luck to you too Devon, maybe see you at the low/mid stakes soon.
  • edited February 2012
    @Spanky:Sorry to be a pedant but multitabling does NOT reduce variance. The variance is inherent in the game.
    Multitabling does it even it out though and you'll see variance working for as well as against you more often in a shorter time span ("Progression to the Mean")

@OP:I found multitabling also drastically lessened the effect of bad beats, you're on to the next hand so quickly and just haven't got time to dwell or worse spew bile in the chat box.

Be honest with yourself are you really not beating a level because of Bad Beats?
    I've had to be and I'm sure most have at some stage before it clicks and they adjust.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: How can I beat the low stakes when I lose all my money to runner runners?:
    @Spanky:Sorry to be a pedant but multitabling does NOT reduce variance. The variance is inherent in the game. Multitabling does it even it out though and you'll see variance working for as well as against you more often in a shorter time span ("Progression to the Mean") @OP:I found multitabling also drastically lessened the effect of bad beats, you're on to the next hand so quickly and just haven't got time to dwell or worse spew bile in the chat box. Be honest with yourself are you really not beating a level because of Bad Beats? I've had to be and I'm sure most have at some stage before it clicks and they adjust.
    Posted by step7
    No probs Pedant!! No you are quite correct in what you say. What I was trying to express is that if you play a larger size sample and you are playing in a corrrect manner to beat the level you are at, ie. (consistently a favourite when the money goes in) then you can expect to show a profit in the long-term. I'm just too thick to put it across properly.
  • edited February 2012
    LOL no probs spanky, just didnlt want anyone thinking multitabling was going to magic the chasers and suckouts away!

Another tip for you acemachine, exercise some pot control and don't pay off big bets when the draws land - I know it hard when you've waited for 4 orbits for a decent starting hand and its hit, I'm the world's worst but working on it! Pot control on the turn and allow yourself the luxury of the odd bluff catch on the river when it looks right, the board in your post just got too scary to get any more money in. 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to How can I beat the low stakes when I lose all my money to runner runners?:
    blondbird Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £1.27 selzzz Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £1.93   Your hole cards 10 10       tadams Call   £0.04 £0.10 £3.26 acemachine Raise   £0.20 £0.30 £2.37 iain1972 Fold         GoodMan Fold         blondbird Fold         selzzz Call   £0.16 £0.46 £1.77 tadams Fold         Flop     10 4 K       selzzz Check         acemachine Bet   £0.23 £0.69 £2.14 selzzz Call   £0.23 £0.92 £1.54 Turn     6       selzzz Check         acemachine Bet   £0.46 £1.38 £1.68 selzzz Raise   £0.92 £2.30 £0.62 acemachine All-in   £1.68 £3.98 £0.00 selzzz All-in   £0.62 £4.60 £0.00 acemachine Unmatched bet   £0.60 £4.00 £0.60 selzzz Show 5 3       acemachine Show 10 10       River     2       selzzz Win Straight to the 6 £3.70   £3.70
    Posted by acemachine

What do you do when you are Constantly getting your money in on the flop and are well in front and keep getting beaten by the turn but usually the river to make it really sick.

I went 17 Buy ins in 2 days and everyone but one was a Turn or river beat, what should I do?

Take up knitting?
  • edited February 2012
    I'd stick at it if you getting your money in good that often - if you can't handle the beats I can recommend a good knitting supplies shop ;)