You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice for when you have a large chip stack in a MTT

Hi guys,

Whenever I have a lot of chips say 2/3x the tourney average I dont seem to be able to bully. I seem to sit tight and let the other players catch me up. So do you have any suggestions? i.e. play position a lot more, rather than your cards.

Thanks for your time.
Dave

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Impossible to answer unless you indicate what stage of the MTT you are at.

One useful general tip though - target the player, not the table. Pick a player and bully him. Never let him see a flop - make him have either the nuts or the nerve to call you. Steal every one of his blinds without mercy. Isolate every one of his raises.

Just pick him carefully (i.e. don't try this on me!)
  • edited November 2009
    I've got the same problem mate. Some times I seem able to bully but other times I end of being very tight.  I am not sure if I am doing it without thinking but am now trying to analyse my play more. Maybe too much.

Other people on this site have told me to be more agressive. When I get the chance next time I will.  If I am in the money, then great, not bothered if I win the tournament, just want to have fun and try new techniques.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Advice for when you have a large chip stack in a MTT:
    Hi guys, Whenever I have a lot of chips say 2/3x the tourney average I dont seem to be able to bully. I seem to sit tight and let the other players catch me up. So do you have any suggestions? i.e. play position a lot more, rather than your cards. Thanks for your time. Dave
    Posted by Grimstar30
    If you never called in this situation you wouldn't go far wrong. Either raise it up or get the heck out of there. Certainly raise every unraised pot from the button or cut-off.
    True cliche coming up: You can bet with anything but need a hand to call.
  • edited November 2009
    I think all the advice already given is relevant but would add that it's definitely not worth taking on anyone who can really damage your stack or knock you out unless you have the nuts or close to it. You can wait until you go deeper before you play the other big stack(s), near the bubble or when the payout structure starts to increase rapidly you can apply prerssure to most players. I'm posting because I got silly in the £400 BH earlier and made a play on the only guy in the tourney who could knock me out (I was 2nd of 20) so I hope you learn from my mistake. I was just comfortable setting 18 of the remaining players in and hit the all in button with my flush draw before looking who I was up against.
  • edited November 2009
    like   big bluster said  bully  and  pick  on the  weak  players
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Advice for when you have a large chip stack in a MTT:
    In Response to Advice for when you have a large chip stack in a MTT : If you never called in this situation you wouldn't go far wrong. Either raise it up or get the heck out of there. Certainly raise every unraised pot from the button or cut-off. True cliche coming up: You can bet with anything but need a hand to call.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Squeeze, squeeze and more squeeze.

And never limp yourself.
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for your advice guys, just trying to add a few more elements to my game :)