You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Value bet or check-call for pot control?

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
No notes on opponent.
Pysterman Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £11.97
evilarchie Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £3.30
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

saiman78 Fold     
V0DKAFISH Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £11.20
bobbah Call  £0.30 £0.75 £10.29
MavsDad Fold     
Pysterman Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £10.47
evilarchie Fold     
V0DKAFISH Fold     
bobbah Call  £1.25 £3.50 £9.04
Flop

• J

Pysterman Bet  £1.75 £5.25 £8.72
bobbah Call  £1.75 £7.00 £7.29
Turn

Pysterman
Should I fire again?

At a good playing standard I figure I'm only likely to be called by better here and I would probably go into check-call mode. The opponent could easily have hit a set or (less likely) trips. But at NL10 (readless) should I be value betting here?

Comments

• edited January 2012

think you should be betting to try and get his stack in on river, anything from £3 - £4 is fine.

• edited January 2012
    Difficult to put him on anything thats beating you apart from JJ. But there are a lot of hands he could hold that you are beating. Difficult making a value bet because of stack sizes. You would have to be putting in about half your stack to make it work, and then can you fold it to a shove? Probably not.

So if you plan to check/call, you will lose so much value if he checks behind. And you still have a tough decision if he bets big.

I think I shut my eyes and shove. I have played this level a few times recently and there are so many players who will make a loose call with AJ, KJ suited etc. KK, QQ are also possible despite his flatting your bets

Perhaps if your flop bet had been just a little bit bigger, it would have polarised the hand more and made your decision easier.
  • edited January 2012
    His actions pre-flop don't really look like much, they just look calling station-like to me. I'm betting £3 and setting him all in on the river as long as the Jack doesn't pair. Either that, or just shoving the turn, hope he's got an overpair or AJ/KJ/QJ. He shouldn't have a 4 here. If he does, make notes, and look to be on his table more often, tbh.
  • edited January 2012
    b/c

never fold here
  • edited January 2012
    keep firing try to get as much money in as possible its a dry non scary board and like penguin said only thing you could poss be scared of is jj,44,a4 that would be sick tho but if opponent has it you are just meant 2 go broke.

I think his more likely holding are aj,kj,qj or maybe he cant fold pair like 10s,9s,8s so I would personally bet about half pot on turn half his stack.
  • edited January 2012
    You couldn't really ask for a better flop when 3betting pre, absolutely beautiful, just keep betting till you run out of money.
  • edited January 2012
    fire away for me