You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3 bets sizing preflop.

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I'm basing this discussion on the NL4 cash games;
i know that 4xBB +1 for every limper (something like that) is optimal for an initial raise at these levels, How about when someone makes it 2BB's (8p) or 3BB's (12p) before i begin to act. Firstly, what range of hands would you c-bet and of the range of hands you c-bet what is the standard 3bet size preflop?
I normally make it 1.5x the pot,
e.g. i) pot is 28p and i need 12p to call, a raise of 12p+60p= 72p.
ii) pot is 24p and i need 8p to call, a raise of 8p+48p= 56p

I may reduce raise sizing down to only 1x (a pot sized raise) at the very least, dependant on table dynamics, position in the hand (if i am in position i may consider a slightly reduced raise amount).

I am assuming full 100BB's stack, but as a side point, would you play differently knowing openeing raiser was short stacked say £!.20 (30BB)?

Arron

Comments

• edited January 2012
    When you say 'what range of hands would you c-bet' I presume you mean 3bet ?

Hands I 3bet would be AA/KK/QQ/JJ, AKo/AQs+, not sure about 99/10's and 3betting really depends how wide they will call, you will also find it tough when overcards hit a lot of the time plus the problem of them 4betting. I've included AQs but AQo is probz fine too, AJ/A10 again not too sure, some players it might be good to do it against but some it won't.

In terms of sizing, if they make it standard 12p then I'm making it pretty big like 45p+, if they make stupid 8p raise I make it about 35p+. However it also changes if there are a few callers of the first raise, then you can make it even more.

Against a 30BB stack I might make it slightly smaller to tempt them in as easier to stack postflop but if you know they'll call the big raise do it.
  • edited January 2012
    bash the raise button till it breaks

raise more oop than ip

• edited January 2012
    I think the right raise at nl4 is whatever you can get called, be it 4x 8x or 25>x