You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Post Flop Tough Spot, (You Decide)

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Not sure this DYM went totally to plan.
Loose-agg player on button, any2 to see a flop.
Thinking ok to call pre in SB with suited K, vs this oppo,
he only min raises which disguised his cards prety well,
I hit top pair with 4 to the flush, decide to check and RR a min c/bet,
I thought the 3 bet 1/2 pot RR was strange, so decided to shove.

Was the shove the correct play or was oppo just unlucky with his call?
Red_King Small blind  25.00 25.00 1895.00
xxxxxxx Big blind  50.00 75.00 1710.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

charlie751 Fold     
Harry671 Fold     
pab-lo Fold     
Mr_Shh Fold     
Red_King Call  25.00 100.00 1870.00
xxxxxxx Raise  50.00 150.00 1660.00
Red_King Call  50.00 200.00 1820.00
Flop

• K

Red_King Check     
xxxxxxx Bet  100.00 300.00 1560.00
Red_King Raise  200.00 500.00 1620.00
xxxxxxx Raise  250.00 750.00 1310.00
Red_King All-in  1620.00 2370.00 0.00
xxxxxxx All-in  1310.00 3680.00 0.00
Red_King Unmatched bet  160.00 3520.00 160.00
Red_King Show
  • K

xxxxxxx Show
  • K
  • A

Turn

River

• J

Red_King Win Flush to the King 3520.00  3680.00

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Sooo... post flop the shove i'll agree with as if you're playing this type of hand Blind Vs Blind this flop is massive for you.

Completely disagree with this point tho : "Thinking ok to call pre in SB with suited K, vs this oppo". I just don't think its going to be profitable DYM strategy limp/calling raises OOP in the blinds with basically a raggy king against any oppo!

Raise and fold to 3bet i can understand abit more.

Maybe in the future not playing this hand type will lead to less of these instances where you're relying on a lucky river.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Post Flop Tough Spot, (You Decide):
    Sooo... post flop the shove i'll agree with as if you're playing this type of hand Blind Vs Blind this flop is massive for you. Completely disagree with this point tho : "Thinking ok to call pre in SB with suited K, vs this oppo". I just don't think its going to be profitable DYM strategy limp/calling raises OOP in the blinds with basically a raggy king against any oppo! Raise and fold to 3bet i can understand abit more. Maybe in the future not playing this hand type will lead to less of these instances where you're relying on a lucky river.
    Posted by elldixon18
    Same as above.
    NH though.

• edited January 2012
    If you are gonna play hands like K6 suited you are never going to hit a flop much better than this.  And it was pretty good for your opponent too ! So the only surprise to me was the pussyfooting around with small raises before all the chips went in. Like the shove, I dont think you would be folding if he had shoved first.

His hand was towards the top of his range, with the backdoor flush draw too and you were still 40%.
  • edited January 2012
  • edited January 2012
    Raise or fold pre, I prefer fold personally OOP w/K rag gonna be hard to play.

I agree with Rancid c/c flop, clicking it back is really bizarre and achieves nothing, just flat the HP bet with TP + NFD and see what turn brings, when you raise mostly only better gets it in, you are the one with a FD remember lol.
  • edited January 2012
    I am tight but until you have hit the flush you are losing to a better kicker. I would have just called his hundred and kept bet size lower until my hand was made. But I do play tight and DYM's are a tight format.
  • edited January 2012
    flat flop
    Posted by rancid
    vis. 

Fold pre both times u have an opportunity to tho. 

• edited January 2012
    For those who flat, is this because its a DYM? Would you raise in a cash game?
  • edited January 2012
    Dont think I would be flatting in cash or a tourny, but DYMers are nitty !
  • edited January 2012
    Dont think I would be flatting in cash or a tourny, but DYMers are nitty !
    Posted by penguin7
    Cheers penguin. Thats what i was sort of thinking but had me worried there for a moment. :)
  • edited January 2012
    @ DrSharp - I'm calling because I'm not 100% sure raising gets called by worse. Only things that we want to call are worse FD's and maybe A7/medium pairs, all else that calls should be ahead i.e bigger Kings, by just flatting we let him bluff off and also have FD to hit if we're wrong rather than it being the only way to win like here. 
  • edited January 2012
    Don't get fooled by your hand, if you raise your only playing the FD
    If your happy c/r as a semi bluff then raise more tbh
    But your hand is not a semi bluff hand

Problem is if you get it in what worse hand do you expect to get it in against

• edited January 2012
    Thanks for the feedback guys,
    I think I played the hand pretty badly from the call pre, to the min raise,
    then hit one of those flops that can get you into a lot of trouble.
    Expected the c/bet to be bigger tbh, so min raised to see if it was a bluff.
    The HP bet is either a bluff u/pair or he's probably ahead, big decision.
    I shoved guessing I'm probably behind but thinking, how does he like his hand now.
    Oppo's original min bet sizes played the AK very tight, even for DYM, can't fault his call tho.
    Didn't see the point in flatting the flop as not hitting the flush on turn leaves a bigger decision.