You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ere, these timed tourney thingies..........

Ok guys. Anyone had a go at these yet. Just played my first one, £3.30 for 30 minutes. 

Was'nt sure how to go about this sort of thing to be honest when i started. Initially, as the table loaded, i thought maybe with the blinds getting pretty big fairly quickly that it might pay to see plenty of cheap flops and see if i can hit something as it would'nt be long before it was a shove or fold situation. I mean, starting stack was 40xbb, and the blinds went up every 5 minutes.

Strategy soon changed as there was plenty of flops going multi way and plenty of shoving from the off. Dont know if this was a particular aggro table or wether this was the norm but decided to do exactly opposite to what everyone else was doing, so i sat and waited. Stack was down to 1,700 and blinds at 100/200 when i woke up with A,Q. 300 from the blinds and then 2 limpers made the pot 600, i was on the button and shoved the lot in. I got a call from the big stack (6000 chips) and my AQ held against his A,4 suited and i doubled up. Next hand JJ, i raise to 600 and get called by same player, flop comes J high and he shoves, easy call and i have 8k.

This is when i got moved. 2nd table was very different. Alot more cagey and i managed to steal blinds to tread water for a while. I ended up with £11.80 back after pretty much shutting down, but now feel i could have got more as everyone seemed to let the timer run down to keep what they had. Not a bad half hours work but the blinds are a bit quick for a nit like me.

I know some of you will be wondering what the heck i am blabbering on about, but the question really is about a good strategy for these things. Am i right just trying to do the opposite of everyone else? Should i have been ultra aggro on the second table toward the end? How long can you wait for a good hand?

To be honest, the game seemed quite weak, with players shoving with very marginal hands. Anyone else find owt about these?

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Haven't tried these yet and was about to but having seen the blind levels decided against it. 

Just seems too crazy for me, 2nd level of a 30 min one leaves you with 20bbs from starting stack, I know it's fast but just impossible to play any sort of skillful poker that shallow.

Of course if you want a gamble that's fine but I would much rather stick my 5 bob into a normal tourney where there is a substantial top prize and some sort of structure.
  • edited January 2012
    deep stacks are crazy for you dude :-). i tried it once, didnt like it , moved on .
  • edited January 2012
    wait for big hands - shove - win money

Kinda DYM'ish
  • edited January 2012
    I am with rancid. I think 30 mins is least as the 15 min ones are for nose bleeders. Play it like a dym and hope you get a couple of double ups. In the 2nd last level there will usually be at least one caller. When blinds are at 200/400 most people either shove or try to let the timer run down.
    Not for the faint hearted
  • edited January 2012

play the 60min timed at least you can play some poker for 45 mins sit tight push your big hands by the last level if your in top 10 get super aggro as everyone seems to slow down as the clock runs out.

• edited January 2012
    Played a 30 min one of these earlier. They're a bit of fun but don't really allow for any real poker. Fold or shove from the off seems the way to go. My gut feeling is these will be gone by summer.