You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SPT Luton £220 f/o, early hand AK in sb after action

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Level 3 Blinds 75/150
Hero stack is  c. 16k 

My assumptions based on about 2 hours of play are as follows...

Utg +1 is loose agressive- stack size c.20k has been opening alot in ep.

Mid position, loose passive  stack size c.15k has been playing lots of hands and seeing lots of flops

Button is loose agressive- stack size c. 8.5k has been playing lots of hands and using position. Also clear very experienced player as talking about playing in WSOP lots and had a gold wsop card guard- previous round he limped with 23 o/s otb and stole it on the flop then showed the 3 high. 

Utg +1 makes it 375 
Mid flats for 375
Button makes it 1200

Hero has AK in the Small blind. My image i guess is tight as i have only played about 5 hands in two hours

I decide to cold 4 bet to 2850, based on the fact that i think the button is squeezing and the other two are light. Ob if utg +1 remains interested i would snap fold. If button flats, i would jam any flop, if he goes all in, im probably gonna just have to fold, but with the price i could call and hope he has QQ... hmmm

BB who has about 28k, tank folds (he later tells me he had JJ)

all others pass fairly quickly which im more than happy with. button later tells me after i exit that he had pure air

What do you think of this play in this situation. Is "bluffing" with AK a good thing to do?  Is flatting or folding better?

Just an interesting spot imo

Your thoughts please, ty. 

Comments

• edited January 2012
    I don't think it should be a bluff at all, you said UTG +1 is loose aggro so he has a far from premium range, the guy who called was also loose, the button as you said is a good player who will recognise the other players being loose so is most likely to squeeze against them.

Basically none of the oppo's have done anything to make you too worried
  • ybyb
    edited January 2012
    i'd 4bet to ~2500 with the intention of getting it in against the button

tis for value rather than a bluff though
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: SPT Luton £220 f/o, early hand AK in sb after action:
    i'd 4bet to ~2500 with the intention of getting it in against the button tis for value rather than a bluff though
    Posted by yb
    thanks this was my intital thinking btw and during the hand, but when i spoke to tommyd about this hand after (he wasnt on my table) he said that i should prob. fold if the button ships

• edited January 2012

4bet is fine for value, dont see how you could fold if btn ships

• edited January 2012
    if you are gonna be 4bet folding AK then you mays well 4bet fold with any 2 cards....
  • edited January 2012
    i like how u played it but doubt id consider the fold unless i had a good solid read that anyone who 5 bets u is always gonna have KK/AA

play to win innit
  • edited January 2012

If your considering 4 bet folding then just flat the 3 bet or fold

Your probably way ahead of btn range here so flat, check flop to induce bluff would be ok

Looks like a squeeze from btn anyway

By 4 betting your never folding versus btn, probably just fold out all btn’s range in this spot if your image is tight

Do agree to a certain extent with Tommy that btn could turn up here with AA/KK but doesn’t seem very likely.

Picking up the pot with 4 betting AK oop doesn’t seem bad does it

4 betting here will fold out better hands apart from AA/KK – not sure about QQ though :S

• edited January 2012
    if you are gonna be 4bet folding AK then you mays well 4bet fold with any 2 cards....
    Posted by scotty77
    Pretty much agree with this, once you decide to 4-bet then you certainly can't fold if the button shoves especially as he only has 8.5k.

Now if the BB shoved on you its a different matter. That's pretty much an instafold for me.
  • edited January 2012
    4bF is fine with reads, here our reads say we are 4bet calling vs button and folding vs the rest.

Posted by scotty77

We have sick blockers to their contiuning range though, it's ldo better to have the blockers than to not, considering that we are planning for what could happen before we make the cold 4 I think C4F is fine here vs the ep players.
  • edited February 2012
    I don't think it should be a bluff at all, you said UTG +1 is loose aggro so he has a far from premium range, the guy who called was also loose, the button as you said is a good player who will recognise the other players being loose so is most likely to squeeze against them. Basically none of the oppo's have done anything to make you too worried
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Sorry, just came to chime in that just because we're ahead of their range doesn't make it not a bluff. Whenever we're not ahead of their CALLING range that we've turned out hand into a bluff.

I dont think the button is ever going to 5b bluff you, but if he jams we're getting 1.66:1 by my calculations. Dont have stove on this PC, but would be easy enough to do the math, 6 combo's of QQ, 3 of AA and KK. Even if he never has AK it seems like a +cEV call but cEV isnt = EV. Would depend on how soft the table was, how losing that % of your stack would affect your ability to gain further chips and a bunch of other tangibles its really hard to give an exact value.

I think 4b/call to BTN jam > 4b/Fold to BTN jam > Fold