You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The awkward 20-20bb stack in a tourney / SnG

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
What's the best way to play this stack size as the open raiser with hands that miss / get compromised by the flop?

For example, you open raise AK, get one caller, miss the flop, then your c-bet gets raised and you're forced to fold your hand (against a standard solid player) and are left with a shove / fold stack.  Another example being QQ on an A high flop with the same action.  Obviously you'd be happy getting it all in pre flop with these hands but are there any ways to avoid the above situations (other than fold pre) or have I simply answered my own question?

Cheers

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Always have a plan when you raise so if there are shortstacks in the blinds know that they might well shove and therefore try not to be raising too light.

On raising and cbet/folding I think this is ok as long as you don't cbet 100% and are doing it on good flops that hit your range, also when raising pre always minraise, 2.2-2.5x is often useless imo and gets the same affect but with a bigger pot meaning cbet needs to be bigger.

Overall this size stack is best for reshoving, but again at the right times so not vs a guy who realistically can't raise/fold - 16bbs, but instead vs the aggro 30-40bb stack who is constantly battering the shorties with minraises as they willl be raising light loads.
  • edited January 2012
    You've pretty much covered it pilkington.

Alot of it is going to be down to your unopened bet size pre.

20bb's I dont love a shove in unentered pots, but if you believe you'll get called by worse (from info at table) then its a must.

But 20'bbs is a playable (ish) stack.

Think you have a glass is half empty mentality on the Q's A high flop type spot.  Player dependant but you mostly know where you are, leaving you with a shoving stack if it goes south.

Much easier to play a shoving stack than 20 />bigs, i'd mostly welcome it.