You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

TRICKS OF THE TRADE

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat

i was in a multi torny last nite as i am  most nites  lolol. anyway  something happened to get me thinking .the situation is ..... final table 6 left in.... im on the small blind witch i think are  1000/2000.  ive got about 13000 chips .the player on the bigblind has more chips than me i think about 25000. the button is the short stack with about 7000 chips and the rest av between 12000 and 20000. im not to sure about the stack sizes but its not far off..at the  time its a very plasid table not many callers .you no wat i mean every1 watchin every1 else not wantin to get involved...if any1 was the aggresser it was me . anyway im sat there on the smallblind with 5 7 basicley  waitin for my turn so i can dek.. the first person to act deks so its up to the 2nd player to act  its just at that moment i notice the bigblind has sat out. so like i beleive any1 would im hopin everyone  else deks so i can take the bigblind...who woudent be?.....at least im honest about wat i intended to do....in that situation is any1 just gunna dek and let the bigblind keep his chips and my 1000.small blinds...... noooo   i dont think so... anyway .everyi else deks  so i stick the min raise in to take the blinds and just at that moment the bigblind sits bak in and then gos all in...so feelin a bit of a mug i dek.........now i afto admit a few words were said at the time witch shall we say wernt in the spirt of the game...at the time i felt id been tricked and mugged. and to be honest part of me still does. lolol. anyway after the game the player in quiestion said that it wasent a trick to get me to bet  .he was satout by mistake and just at the time i minraised him he rearlised he had  9 9 and sat bak in.........now then..if thats wat the man said happened fair enough......wat does enyone else think..?  douse this type  of trickry go on....

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Probably goes on. It's another tool in an online players arsenal if they are seeking to find an 'edge'. I don't agree with it if its intentional but what can yeeeeeeee do!  GL at the tables
  • edited November 2009
    I know the person you refer to and he's one of the good guys. I don't think it was done on purpose because the timing, what with internet-lag, would have to be perfect. If the guy was sat with a strong hand he wouldn't take the chance of hitting the button too late, would he. I know the guy and he's not that devious. The tactics, if intentional make no sense. Many times I've reacted too late and the 'sat out' button appears, and sometimes you don't notice it.

Don't put too much into this.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi ghost

I have been in that situation where I have left the pc for a short while to get a drink, or nature screemed :), come back to the pc and find I got AA or a pp and had to dive to push the all in button just before time ran out scary, beleive me, so it is impossible to say if someone does it deliberatly or not, it happens :)
  • edited November 2009
    i would never use this tactic, but it probably does go on. i was watching the table when it happened last night, and i must admit your insults were not in the spirit this particular game was played. personally i don't think the player involved was trying to trap you, however, when you try and steal the blinds in the future(as we all do when a player is sat out) ,just be wary.
  • edited November 2009
    If your happy enough to take a big blind with no hand when you see they have timed out previous hand (and thats not me having a go because i would have taken it too), then you have to happy that sometimes you will get caught with your fingers in the till. A lot of us know of the player you are talking about and to be honest his game is good enough that tricks so to speak are not really required in his play. I'd be happy to use this if i thought it would be a profitable move though just as i am happy to set traps once i've been set mining or floped the nuts. If the system and rules allow it then why not.

People on the forum will talk about fairness etc but nobody is worried about fairness when they are nicking blinds from somebody who may have disconected or had no choice to sit in that hand (nor do i think they should) but when it's reversed nobody likes it.

If a player creates a way to force a bet when his opponent is light then in my opinion thats fine, you don't have to call you just have to hold your hands up and not raise his blind light again. We get away with stealing sitouts money far more often than they pull an all in on us so it's still a profitable move :) Like i say i'm not having a pop as i think you did exactley what most people would. But i think turnaround is fair play as well
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: TRICKS OF THE TRADE:
    I know the person you refer to and he's one of the good guys. I don't think it was done on purpose because the timing, what with internet-lag, would have to be perfect. If the guy was sat with a strong hand he wouldn't take the chance of hitting the button too late, would he. I know the guy and he's not that devious. The tactics, if intentional make no sense. Many times I've reacted too late and the 'sat out' button appears, and sometimes you don't notice it. Don't put too much into this.
    Posted by elsadog
    I HAVE NO REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THE PLAYER INVOLVED WOULD DO THAT ON PURPOSE .  LIKE A PREVIOUS POSTER SAID, HE IS FAR TO GOOD A PLAYER , HE DOESN'T NEED TO RESORT TO DOING THAT .IF THIS WAS PART OF HIS GAME , IM SURE THERE WOULD BE POSTS UP BY NOW , TELLING US SO !!!!!  HOWEVER , THIS DOES GO ON . I HAVE COME ACROSS SEVERAL PLAYERS WHO DO THIS.  RECENTLY I SAT WITH A PLAYER WHO I HAVE SEEN DO THIS BEFORE . WHEN HE STARTED GOING ON AWAY AGAIN , I WARNED THE OTHER PLAYERS ON THE TABLE TO BE CAREFUL AND EXPLAINED WHY .
  • edited November 2009
    my honest opinion on this matter is that ghost is being a very sore loser
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: TRICKS OF THE TRADE : i no the person your talking about ... and hes a cheat.its bang out of order.. snake in the grass. its not in the nature of the game... ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss  snake. you should be ashamed of yourself dipy. thers a group of you all. u no who u all are. snakes. iff u take this post off rich il personly fone you 2 sort it out...
    Posted by NICKI
    Wow your a bit random and venomous arn't you. I can't say i've ever heard another forum member with a bad word to say about him so i take it this is a personal greivance and not a noticable charachter trait of this person
  • edited November 2009
    hey guys

again i have had to remove a couple of posts in this thread. please keep all language inline with the community house rules. abusive language and/or personal attacks will not be tolerated and offenders will be warned for their behaviour.

lets keep this community a place for open, friendly debate.

thank you!
  • edited November 2009
    aces hes just someone on the wind up, hes just said if rich takes away any of his posts hes gonna ring him personally, i think he needs ejecting from the community
  • edited November 2009
    i missed last nights posters freroll due to work commitments but caught the last3  and heads up, and the chat from ghost made it clear something had happened.  Not having seen the incident, I am in no postion to speak with any authority, but givn that this thread has asked for opinions, I'll add mine.

I do not think there was any underhand tactics used.  As stated above, we are talking about one of the best and well respected players and contributors on this site, who is helpful to anyone that asks it.  His explanation should be taken at face value.

On the wider question of whether this tactic is used, i suppose it will be at times, but it must be very uncommon and have limited value.  It only has value where the initial raiser has a weak hand and would otherwise fold, so if a sat out player suddenly sits back in and re raises or goes all in, tey are only going to get 2 big blinds of value.  Better than nothing, of course, but not a massive pot.

It wouldnt be a tactic I would adopt, and if anyone does it, simply put a note of it against them, and look out for it happening again.  If so, you know its a ploy they use and can side step it in future.

Ray
  • edited November 2009
    Re: NICKI................how do these people get out without a minder?
  • edited November 2009
    If your happy enough to take a big blind with no hand when you see they have timed out previous hand (and thats not me having a go because i would have taken it too), then you have to happy that sometimes you will get caught with your fingers in the till. A lot of us know of the player you are talking about and to be honest his game is good enough that tricks so to speak are not really required in his play. I'd be happy to use this if i thought it would be a profitable move though just as i am happy to set traps once i've been set mining or floped the nuts. If the system and rules allow it then why not. People on the forum will talk about fairness etc but nobody is worried about fairness when they are nicking blinds from somebody who may have disconected or had no choice to sit in that hand (nor do i think they should) but when it's reversed nobody likes it. If a player creates a way to force a bet when his opponent is light then in my opinion thats fine, you don't have to call you just have to hold your hands up and not raise his blind light again. We get away with stealing sitouts money far more often than they pull an all in on us so it's still a profitable move :) Like i say i'm not having a pop as i think you did exactley what most people would. But i think turnaround is fair play as well
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    I think ACESOVER8s has got this just about spot-on. I've been caught like this myself on a couple of occasions and seen it happen to others.
    What I have managed to learn from this is that as much as it may annoy you, you must not let it ruin your composure, I try to think 'oops, I got caught' and move on. You lost your game for a while there along with a lot of sympathy, which was a shame because you were playing well to this point.
    I'm sure the player concerned didn't do it deliberately as I've seen him before and believe him to be above underhand tactics.
    Congratulations on a good cash anyway, good luck at the tables.
  • edited November 2009
    i missed last nights posters freroll due to work commitments but caught the last3  and heads up, and the chat from ghost made it clear something had happened.  Not having seen the incident, I am in no postion to speak with any authority, but givn that this thread has asked for opinions, I'll add mine. I do not think there was any underhand tactics used.  As stated above, we are talking about one of the best and well respected players and contributors on this site, who is helpful to anyone that asks it.  His explanation should be taken at face value. On the wider question of whether this tactic is used, i suppose it will be at times, but it must be very uncommon and have limited value.  It only has value where the initial raiser has a weak hand and would otherwise fold, so if a sat out player suddenly sits back in and re raises or goes all in, tey are only going to get 2 big blinds of value.  Better than nothing, of course, but not a massive pot. It wouldnt be a tactic I would adopt, and if anyone does it, simply put a note of it against them, and look out for it happening again.  If so, you know its a ploy they use and can side step it in future. Ray
    Posted by Buistyboy
    I agree there is almost no value in it Buistyboy and obviously a player can only use this once as it's not going to work multiple times. People will get wise and raise their blind when they have the goods prepared to call the all in. However i don't have a problem with people doing it. It is no different to getting caught stealing on a button raise.

They only reason this gets to people is because they think their entitled to the free blind and are dissapointed when they get trapped (not specifically this poster just people in general) so it gets you a bit if you thought you were getting something for free when actually you just paid your money and got stiffed :)
  • edited November 2009
    just sat and discussed this, at the end of the day we all do it every now and then, a sneaky raise to take the big blinds and i have no prob with this....... however when you get caught with your fingers in the till you will get burnt...... if your intention was to take the bb why not just fold when he went all in etc.... ive done this many times....... it seems like a case of moaning because you cant take anymore cookies out the jar when no ones looking....