You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Raise or flat call on this board

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hand From tonights main event Blinds 300 600 i started the hand just average stack only at the table a couple of levels so no real reads i have 88 on the button oppo min raises i take a flop i hit my 8 villan leads out my question here is should i be clicking it back him or do i flat call i see a turn card...
heellloooo Small blind  300.00 300.00 40080.38
aiken2001 Big blind  600.00 900.00 8869.75
 Your hole cards

xxxxxxxx Raise  1344.00 2244.00 29032.50
M4VERICK Fold     
neil1970 Call  1344.00 3588.00 12696.00
heellloooo Fold     
aiken2001 Fold     
Flop

xxxxxxx Bet  1788.00 5376.00 27244.50
neil1970      

Comments

• edited February 2012
    I wouldnt click it back, that just basically tells him what we have.

I might shove to represent some sort of draw (overplayed possibly, but disguises our strength) Also as he has chips he can call, we get value from fd's and all over pairs

Its hard to trap on this board so i prob play it fast. On other boards we can flat call the flop. what if the 9c comes on the turn for example? would be a sick card

• edited February 2012
    I don't mind just shoving here tbh. So many turn cards you hate, and if you shove, it looks like you have a draw, you'll get called by worse made hands.
  • edited February 2012
    Shoving here is poor, just spewing value against so much of his range.

But you still dont want to give him a cheap card. 3k+ to keep in the overpairs and draws.

Greg, nine of clubs would be a sick card for you, but unless opponent is sitting there with AK/AQ clubs its even sicker for him !
  • edited February 2012
    raise, 4k+ no shove

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Raise or flat call on this board:
    Shoving here is poor, just spewing value against so much of his range. But you still dont want to give him a cheap card. 3k+ to keep in the overpairs and draws. Greg, nine of clubs would be a sick card for you, but unless opponent is sitting there with AK/AQ clubs its even sicker for him !
    Posted by penguin7
    Depends how bad he is

The stacks are tricky and having looked at it again, a raise to about 3.5-4k is probably better, just, but its very close, i still dont think a shove is awful against alot of players
  • edited February 2012
    Shoving here is poor, just spewing value against so much of his range. But you still dont want to give him a cheap card. 3k+ to keep in the overpairs and draws. Greg, nine of clubs would be a sick card for you, but unless opponent is sitting there with AK/AQ clubs its even sicker for him !
    Posted by penguin7
    Which is why he might not want to see a turn either and he would be happy to get it in with 99+
  • edited February 2012
    me personally prob raise anything between 5.5k to 7k hopefully he has over pair might just re ship it make life easy for you
  • edited February 2012
  • edited February 2012
    Mr x looks a good player, nice bet sizing, . . . with the stack he has, he is probably blind stealing (a bit close as he is UTG). . his c bet makes it look that way(quite standard). Could he have a 10, 9 or small suited cards; Yes! quite possibly. So in this situation its a raise. 

If he had a smaller stack i would just flat call(or <20bb), as the villain is less likely to be blind stealing and therefore has a narrower range.
  • edited February 2012
    I'd jam. 

Wouldn't expect him to cbet that board without good equity, a shove from us looks like a draw.

He will call off with over-pairs, fd/overcard combos & sets.

So many turn cards kill our action against his flop "getting it in range".

shippitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

---

edit - gon thru the replies now n I've basically quoted Greg. fml.

• edited February 2012
    I'd jam.  Wouldn't expect him to cbet that board without good equity, a shove from us looks like a draw. He will call off with over-pairs, fd/overcard combos & sets. So many turn cards kill our action against his flop "getting it in range". shippitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt --- edit - gon thru the replies now n I've basically quoted Greg. fml.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    No you are okay ...he changed his mind !

The stacks are tricky and having looked at it again, a raise to about 3.5-4k is probably better
  • edited February 2012

yeah i think most the time i shove, sometimes flat & hope for good turn

• edited February 2012
    Cheers guys for the input most of you have said exactly what i did i re-raised i think 4750 the villan then snap shoves at this stage i took for an over pair to the board the off cousre i snap him off pocket 10's was shown from what has been said in the above posts i was happy enough with my play..
  • edited February 2012
    ship the flop. What advantages does making it 4k have over shoving?