You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Amazed Nay Astounded!!!!

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
With Sky having said on numerous occasions that the launch of PLO is coming, I was wondering how many players already play PLO or are you all Sky loyalists who wouldn't play anywhere else? lol

Great Game and can't wait for it to arrive here. IMO this is the only cash game to play once it arrives

Edit*

I have altered the title of this post from "Pot Limit Omaha.....Do You Play" to the above just to display how astounded i am that NO ONE in the Sky Poker Community on line today has a view on PLO ????? Tis the game of the future people and as this community often has a view on things such as "Humpty Dumpty's Unatural End" and "Falling off a chair after winning a hand" (not that there's anything wrong with that) I felt sure i'd get some good disscusion from this. Have i stumbled into a forum of Holdem Purists???

Comments

• edited November 2009
       I must admit that my game of choice is HORSE, which is by far the most skillful game out there, just wish i was any good at it.  And my second would be omaha hi lo. The skill sets required vary drastically from texas and give extra leeway to the analytical and paranoid players. Omaha will be a great addition to the site and will see new players arriving and new skills being learnt
  • edited November 2009
    I enjoy agame of PLO and would certainly donate some money. Don't see why the Holdem players should get it all.

Maybe the lack of response is because PLO and Hi Lo PLO were discussed a few days ago on here.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Amazed Nay Astounded!!!!:
    I enjoy agame of PLO and would certainly donate some money. Don't see why the Holdem players should get it all. Maybe the lack of response is because PLO and Hi Lo PLO were discussed a few days ago on here.
    Posted by elsadog
    Over saturating the forum with PLO eh lol considering the daily smattering of bad beats, fixes and sitting out on the big blind discussions i'll not feel too bad about that :)

Did anyone happen to speculate on when Omaha will land on Sky during those threads?
  • edited November 2009
    i have played a fair bit of PLO but not that keen on it, seems to be more of a gambling game than hold em an not alot of skill involved. however i have only played PLO at $0.25/$0.50 and there was alot of callin stations
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Amazed Nay Astounded!!!! : Over saturating the forum with PLO eh lol considering the daily smattering of bad beats, fixes and sitting out on the big blind discussions i'll not feel too bad about that :) Did anyone happen to speculate on when Omaha will land on Sky during those threads?
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Think Rich said it was being looked at by the suits.
  • edited November 2009
    i have played a fair bit of PLO but not that keen on it, seems to be more of a gambling game than hold em an not alot of skill involved. however i have only played PLO at $0.25/$0.50 and there was alot of callin stations
    Posted by freechips1
    I'ts got skill and probably less gamble than NL Holdem, People who go to it from only playing holdem have a very different understanding of the hands.
  • edited November 2009
    i have very little understanding of omaha, but it does seem to be a game growing in popularity and i look forward to seeing it arrive on sky poker.  It seems to me that it is a harder game to evaluate the strength of starting hands in, and that is a challenge i would enjoy having a go at.
  • edited November 2009
    i have very little understanding of omaha, but it does seem to be a game growing in popularity and i look forward to seeing it arrive on sky poker.  It seems to me that it is a harder game to evaluate the strength of starting hands in, and that is a challenge i would enjoy having a go at.
    Posted by Buistyboy
    A very simplistic way to look at it Buisty is as a game of Str8's, Flushes & Houses. A Pairs worth nothing (well not a lot anyway) in this game lol.

I think a lot of the sky poker players who only play on here (therefore not had the chance to play Omaha) are going to love it once it arrives. And while they learn then a lot of other players who know the game are going to have a good run. I honestly think it's going to take off on here as there are a lot of people who just love poker 
  • edited November 2009
    I've dabbled on the lowest stakes PLO elsewhere & i'm in no doubt that i've played starting hands & continued in hands when I really shouldn't but it's fun to learn & I can't wait for it to arrive here.
  • edited November 2009
      Also with omaha being a game where the nuts are truly temporary, expect the number of bad beat moans to increase dramatically
  • edited November 2009
      Also with omaha being a game where the nuts are truly temporary, expect the number of bad beat moans to increase dramatically
    Posted by Talon
    LMAO Talon, hadn't thought about how it would affect the forum, Cue 2000 threads of this is fixed lol :)
  • edited November 2009
    I've never played PLO, only just getting the hang of no limit, how different a game is it, and is it hard to pick up.
  • edited November 2009
       I play with a friend who thinks he quite a hotshot at poker.  I explained all the rules of omaha to him and he said he understood. I then proceeded to fix the top 8 cards on the deck to give him 4 aces.  He was very surprised and totally shocked when i beat him and cleaned him out. I just could not stop laughing, but i gave him his chips back and he learnt a valuable lesson.
  • edited November 2009
    i  love  playing  omaha   great   game
  • edited November 2009
    I've never played PLO, only just getting the hang of no limit, how different a game is it, and is it hard to pick up.
    Posted by chirker
    As Talon makes an excelent point of above it is a VERY different game where your starting hand selection is very important.

Being dealt 4 aces is a nightmare, Why?? because of the 4 cards your dealt you have to use 2 but only 2, you have no chance of making trips as the other 2 Aces are in your hand and all 4 cards you hold are of different suits so you can't make a flush. As there are all of the same value so no straight, as a starting hand this is not a good thing lol

*EDIT* from previous moment of using 1 card from starting hands :)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Amazed Nay Astounded!!!! : As Talon makes an excelent point of above it is a VERY different game where your starting hand selection is very important. Being dealt 4 aces is a nightmare, Why?? because of the 4 cards your dealt you have to use 2 but only 2, you have no chance of making trips as the other 2 Aces are in your hand and all 4 cards you hold are of different suits so your also unlikley to make a flush. As there are all of the same value you also need 4 to a straight so as a starting hand this is not a good thing lol
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    In actual fact with 4 aces you can't make a flush.
  • edited November 2009
    Correct me if i'm wrong (& i'm still a novice at PLO so may well be) but isn't the best starting hand AAKK double suited (i.e. 2 hearts & 2 diamonds)?
  • edited November 2009
    AAKK double suited is certainly very nice, but the good thing about Omaha is that the preflop hand considerations are not as simple as saying AA is better than KK and 77 is a little better than AK. 

For that reason, hands like KQJT double suited are considered by many to be the ideal starting hand - to coin some old lingo, you want a hand that melds in some way.

I am planning on writing a few basic articles on Omaha before it's arrival on Sky Poker for you all to have a look through :) Might take me a while mind, so bear with me and all that jazz.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • edited November 2009
    AAKK double suited is certainly very nice, but the good thing about Omaha is that the preflop hand considerations are not as simple as saying AA is better than KK and 77 is a little better than AK.  For that reason, hands like KQJT double suited are considered by many to be the ideal starting hand - to coin some old lingo, you want a hand that melds in some way. I am planning on writing a few basic articles on Omaha before it's arrival on Sky Poker for you all to have a look through :) Might take me a while mind, so bear with me and all that jazz. Cheers, Dave
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    OK so now my brain DEFINATELY hurts lol
  • edited November 2009
        Then the variations come into play and in hi lo you might want A234 double suited. To give yourself a good shot at both pots
  • edited November 2009
    AAKK double suited is certainly very nice, but the good thing about Omaha is that the preflop hand considerations are not as simple as saying AA is better than KK and 77 is a little better than AK.  For that reason, hands like KQJT double suited are considered by many to be the ideal starting hand - to coin some old lingo, you want a hand that melds in some way. I am planning on writing a few basic articles on Omaha before it's arrival on Sky Poker for you all to have a look through :) Might take me a while mind, so bear with me and all that jazz. Cheers, Dave
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    So basically then you're looking for 4 cards that could hit the board in numerous ways rather than relying on just 2 of them to hit in some way?
  • edited November 2009
    That's right, silentbob. The thinking is pretty similar to hold'em in some ways. We all like suited connectors in hold'em, right? Why? You're looking for hands that have something going for them and with a tiny bit of sneakines in there, so when we hit our flop we can stack that guy with the top pair, etc.

Hold'em: 87s, flop comes A-8-7, opponent has AJ.... time to do the happy dance.

Now let's talk Omaha.

AAKK is obviously very nice. You want double-suitedness so you can make two flushes You've also got AA, KK and AK should it come QJT. All good, right?

But what if the flop comes J-8-7? Now we've got AA on a textured board. T-9 has us drawing very slim all of a sudden. Preflop pairs play a lot worse post-flop in Omaha than they do in Hold'em because after the flop there is a much greater chance that you've been out-flopped.

With a hand like AAxx you're going to be raising before the flop and then bombing away. Big draws will be sticking around and you have to buckle up and hope your AA holds. Sometimes it does, very often it doesn't. Omaha is a game where you're often wanting a monster draw on the flop rather than a made hand. It will be a learning curve for us all but a LOT of fun at the same time.

• edited November 2009
    im not a massive fan of ohama, it just seems like you never know where you are, like your hand can always be beat.
  • edited November 2009
    Correct me if i'm wrong (& i'm still a novice at PLO so may well be) but isn't the best starting hand AAKK double suited (i.e. 2 hearts & 2 diamonds)?
    Posted by silentbob
     Some might say that  bob ...i like  ..9 10 J Q  but then I don't play cash  PTL Omaha    ..
    (Swings are to great) If anyone wants to learn this game, read up on it before putting any cash on the tables.
    To play this game is definitely swimming in Shark infested murky waters....
    I do play  PL  Hi Lo Omaha though.. but again you need to read about the game  before parting with cash .....
    If you know anyone who will tell what "The Bible" of  Hi Lo Omaha is, get it ..  The Pro's know it and read it maybe once a week or month ( for revision).....   glk and don't get involved with these game unless you really want to, because the Sharks will teach you the hard way ....

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Amazed Nay Astounded!!!! : In actual fact with 4 aces you can't make a flush.
    Posted by elsadog
    Absolutly Correct Elsadog, or the str8 i've had a moment of madness lol
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Amazed Nay Astounded!!!! : So basically then you're looking for 4 cards that could hit the board in numerous ways rather than relying on just 2 of them to hit in some way?
    Posted by silentbob
    Yes. You want hands that are going to give you all sorts of options, not just two big pairs. This is my own preference on how to play the hands and not everyone's view, but I think these KQJT type hands play a lot easier and more profitably than the AAKK ones (for reasons see my post above).

Imagine you have Kh-Qd-Jh-Td vs a guy who has As-Ac-7c-3h. Preflop you're only a 45% underdog. On a flop of Th-9s-7h you're a 75% favourite despite the fact you're still technically behind with your pair of 7s vs the AA!

It's a fun ol' game this one... :)
  • edited November 2009
    Omaha is a fantastic game and can be a gold mine on the small limits playing against people who don't understand it fully! :)
  • edited November 2009
    im not a massive fan of ohama, it just seems like you never know where you are, like your hand can always be beat.
    Posted by nirvana29
    The one mantra to remember nirvana is to play as close to the nuts as possible. If you think it's out there and the betting is telling you that nut flush or full house is out there, it probably is...

Remember that and you'll find yourself in less spots where you're sat there with a medium strength hand wondering what on earth is going on... :)
  • edited November 2009
    Omaha is a fantastic game and can be a gold mine on the small limits playing against people who don't understand it fully! :)
    Posted by CLIOKID
    Yep, i wouldn't be getting involved in High buy-ins because the only people likley to sit at these tables know the game (better than me) and have the money to suffer the swings but at low stakes theres going to be a lot of people loving the game and hopefully even more wanting to learn it