You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Think i may have overplayed 99

ommomm
edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Hi

Just want anyones thought on this hand i played on last nights roller. I had just lost 1/3 of my stack (chipleader 1/7 after bubble burst) after calling all in with AJss against 99. Still had approx 57k (2/7).

I picked up 9h9s in bb (1200/600) and table was 4 handed with btn raising to 3600 with 33k behind. i reraised to 12000 and btn snap called all in. I called within a few seconds without really thinking about it as it was only another 21k to win 53k, btn showed 7d7h 

The btn had just moved to the table as i had previously knocked out the bubble. I had played with the btn earlier on and thought he was tight agressive, however we were down to 7 and we were only 4 handed, my image didnt really matter as he had just been moved. (Although he probably saw ,me lose with the AJ)

The flop came AcQs7s turn 10s river 3h.

I was left with approx 18k (just happened to raise and then call an all in with AQ 7 hands later vs same player who had AK and was out in 7th)

After sleeping on it and reviewing my play this morning i feel a couple of things:

Before calling the best i could have hoped for was to be up against AK, AQ or even AJ, so to see 77 was a godsend, just so happens it didnt go my way.

At worst i could have been crushed against AA, KK, QQ, JJ or 1010.

Also i had him covered so maybe i should have taken more time to consider what he would be pushing with and hoping to be up against?

Considering the stack sizes maybe i should have just called from the blind and got away from it as i was oop and 2 overcards hit?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Comments

• ommomm
    edited February 2012
    Hi

Just want anyones thought on this hand i played on last nights roller. I had just lost 1/3 of my stack (chipleader 1/7 after bubble burst) after calling all in with AJss against 99. Still had approx 57k (2/7).

I picked up 9h9s in bb (1200/600) and table was 4 handed with btn raising to 3600 with 33k behind. i reraised to 12000 and btn snap called all in. I called within a few seconds without really thinking about it as it was only another 21k to win 53k, btn showed 7d7h

The btn had just moved to the table as i had previously knocked out the bubble. I had played with the btn earlier on and thought he was tight agressive, however we were down to 7 and we were only 4 handed, my image didnt really matter as he had just been moved. (Although he probably saw ,me lose with the AJ)

The flop came AcQs7s turn 10s river 3h.

I was left with approx 18k (just happened to raise and then call an all in with AQ 7 hands later vs same player who had AK and was out in 7th)

After sleeping on it and reviewing my play this morning i feel a couple of things:

Before calling the best i could have hoped for was to be up against AK, AQ or even AJ, so to see 77 was a godsend, just so happens it didnt go my way.

At worst i could have been crushed against AA, KK, QQ, JJ or 1010.

Also i had him covered so maybe i should have taken more time to consider what he would be pushing with and hoping to be up against?

Considering the stack sizes maybe i should have just called from the blind and got away from it as i was oop and 2 overcards hit?

Any thoughts would be welcome.
  • edited February 2012
    Please post hand

if you dont know how check out the top page of poker clinic there is a thread which will explain it.

Then we can give a proper opion
  • ommomm
    edited February 2012

Younggun, Do not seem to have much joy copy and pasting, have followed the instructions but doesn't seemed to have worked properly. Any advice?

• edited February 2012
    do not copy and past from client

use browser

firefox works, others may not
  • ommomm
    edited February 2012
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    tempusfuge Small blind  600.00 600.00 54956.00
    omm Big blind  1200.00 1800.00 56323.75
     Your hole cards

THEROCK573 Fold     
    SUPERSNEDD Raise  3600.00 5400.00 36077.25
    tempusfuge Fold     
    omm Raise  12000.00 17400.00 44323.75
    SUPERSNEDD All-in  36077.25 53477.25 0.00
    omm Call  26477.25 79954.50 17846.50
    omm Show

SUPERSNEDD Show

Flop

• A
    • Q

Turn

River

SUPERSNEDD Win Three 7s 79954.50  79954.50
  • ommomm
    edited February 2012
  • edited February 2012
    you'r 3 bet is way to big, 7.5k would have worked just as well. Depends on my oppo on how i play 99 pre.
  • edited February 2012
    All that for a bad beat lol
  • edited February 2012
    A lot depends on where you are in the tournament at the time. With 56k at the start of the hand I would guess you were handily placed, with no reason to get to involved with another big stack.

Sneddys made a standard raise from the button so he could be on a wide range. But 99 does still not dominate many hands in that range.

Obviously you are not folding, so the options are calling or reraising. And a call is not such a bad option here out of position. 99 is not like JJ, where you can be strong  against hands like A9, A10 etc. So really you are setmining as you would be  with 22. If you had called you would have got away on that flop.

But a raise is usually the better option , so its all a matter of betsizing preflop. What were you trying to achieve with a 12k bet ? And had you thought how you would respond to him sticking it in your eye ?

12k looked like you were trying to push him off it, but because it was a big chunk of the stack in front of you at that time didnt give yourself much room to fold. So if you were willing to risk them all, a shove would have been better and may have got through. If he had called it, that would have been a bad beat ! The way you played it was just poor play I am afraid.

Correct play was a minreraise, to ask the question. You could then fold to his shove. Or if he called you would still escape on the flop. Either way you would still have a workable stack.
  • ommomm
    edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Think i may have overplayed 99:
    A lot depends on where you are in the tournament at the time. With 56k at the start of the hand I would guess you were handily placed, with no reason to get to involved with another big stack. Sneddys made a standard raise from the button so he could be on a wide range. But 99 does still not dominate many hands in that range. Obviously you are not folding, so the options are calling or reraising. And a call is not such a bad option here out of position. 99 is not like JJ, where you can be strong  against hands like A9, A10 etc. So really you are setmining as you would be  with 22. If you had called you would have got away on that flop. But a raise is usually the better option , so its all a matter of betsizing preflop. What were you trying to achieve with a 12k bet ? And had you thought how you would respond to him sticking it in your eye ? 12k looked like you were trying to push him off it, but because it was a big chunk of the stack in front of you at that time didnt give yourself much room to fold. So if you were willing to risk them all, a shove would have been better and may have got through. If he had called it, that would have been a bad beat ! The way you played it was just poor play I am afraid. Correct play was a minreraise, to ask the question. You could then fold to his shove. Or if he called you would still escape on the flop. Either way you would still have a workable stack.
    Posted by penguin7
    Thanks Penguin, some great feedback. Agree with what you have said, should have thought about the situation a bit more. Think i got caught up as we were 4 handed and treated my hand as a monster, the 12k was to either get him off his hand or i was prepared to call because i had him covered. Just didnt think about what situation that would leave me in if i lost. Thought that if i minraised i would have to play the hand oop and give up on most flops so i might as well have folded preflop. Will look at bet sizing in the future.
  • edited February 2012
    once you 3bet you have to get it in imo, even if you minraise. Im not flatting here 4handed v a competent btn