You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash tables @ 25/50?

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I've never stepped up that high but I always find it easier stepping up gradually at my levels.

So I will always just open one or two tables at the next limit up rather than going from one to another in one step.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    I  have been playing cash at 10/20 and 15/30 for about five weeks now, usually sitting down for 3 x one hour long sessions a day at four tables.

The figures show that it has been successful and I am looking to move up.

Logically next its 20/40 and on to 25/50, but certainly at the latter there are a few more known names about.

How big a step is it ?

What adjustments do I need to make to my game ?

How important is table selection ?

Should I start by just playing one or two higher level tables mixed in with lower levels ?

Looking at the big pots I have won, many of them to be honest have been down to poor play by my opponents rather than my own brilliant play !

Will I still be able to gratefully receive these donations at higher levels ?

Thoughts please, guys.
  • edited February 2012
    Do a bit of scouting, watch some tables for 15-20 mins to see if there is any value in sitting down. Begin by mixing in 30nl and 40nl, check to see if your profitable at 40nl then if you are happy and want to move up further start mixing in some 50nl games.
  • edited February 2012
    What adjustments do I need to make to my game ? 

Mental adjustment, sounds silly, but when i moved up to 100nl(i play 30nl-50nl~100nl), i felt for the first time well out of my depth, i was making all the wrong moves, not because of the other players, but the mental-block i had of trying to adjust to the stakes . . . this took a while, and my advise here is to get your head around the new stakes . . . play 1 table and x amount of your reg tables to begin with.

How important is table selection ? 

Very but don't worry to much at the beginning, trust me this will naturally come to you, you will know who the fish, and who the sharks are; there's no room for ego, avoid the players better than you. Good idea at the start, to play on a table with shallow stacks, they are generally fish, but don't make it a habitual event as its not profitable in the long run.

Should I start by just playing one or two higher level tables mixed in with lower levels ? 

Yes, as i mentioned above, imo a gradual climb is better.

Will I still be able to gratefully receive these donations at higher levels ?

On a Friday/Saturday night, definitely. You will be surprised the amount of bad players there are, but don't expect donations; make'm happen.

Gl! 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Cash tables @ 25/50?:
    What adjustments do I need to make to my game ?   Mental adjustment,
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    THIS!!!!

every time I've moved up/taken shots in the past I've just self - imploded  :(

• edited February 2012
    if your crushing nl20/30 whatever then move up and play the same game, nl50 aint a massive step up, its still poker, its still the same rules, flushes beat straights etc just stick to what works until it dont work anymore
  • edited February 2012
    Gotta agree with WhoamI and DoH, I occasionally play NL20 - N:50 cash, and have had a couple sessions at NL100.

I am far from amazing at cash but am a profitable player, but when I played NL100 for the first time I managed to keep convincing myself that everyone was bluffing me :/
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Cash tables @ 25/50?:
    NL100 for the first time I managed to keep convincing myself that everyone was bluffing me :/
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    hahahaha YES, me too.
  • edited February 2012
    im not the best person to ask mate. 3 times i worked up to nl50 only to be knocked back down again. mine isnt a mental problem i "think" i can beat it. mine is poker skill. yes i have had winning sessions at nl50 and nl100 and feel i can "hold my own" but the truth is over a few weeks i am a losing player at this level. playing less tables will help to a point but if your like me and get a little bored the be careful the range doesnt open up too much as these players will punish you.table selection is an absolute must as i find quite a few nl100 + players will drop down to find more tables to play and to feed on the weak and needy :-). gl mate and if you do crack it (which im sure you will) let me know how you do it . tnx phil
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks for all the replies. Some useful stuff to ponder on here.

I have actually climbed up the ladder once before.

In October 2007 I went out to Germany to work there for 3 months. I withdrew my bankroll and left my laptop at home, as I was living on a boat with no internet.

But I missed my poker and found an internet cafe in Koblenz where I could play. But I did not have time to play my normal tournaments, so I deposited  £50 and decided to try cash. I think I started at one 20nl table, and could do no wrong. Just playing the odd hour here and there I had £400 within a few days, and knowing nothing about BRM was up to £1NL. I hit my peak at the end of the second week with about £1300, then lost the lot in an hour playing £4NL. I didnt have a clue what I was doing.

Think I would like to take it a bit steadier this time !