You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bankroll management

how many buying should you have in you bankroll to play £5 to £11 games mtts.
thanx rob

Comments

• edited February 2012
    id say about £300 for £5 games £11 games £500 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: bankroll management:
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    thats about what i fort
  • edited February 2012
    they say 5 per cent of ya bankroll but i think its ok to take a shot now n then say ya have £200 bankroll the odd £10 tourney now n then i think is ok 
  • edited February 2012
    £500 and £1100 id say but im pretty conservative when it comes to BRM.
  • edited February 2012
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I'm currently playing £11 MTT's with a £600 bankroll, which I thought I'd be happy to do, but I am actually finding it uncomfortable. I'd much prefer to have a £1000 bankroll for them.
  • edited February 2012
    For MTT's playing properly i.e. high volume I'd advise at least 100 BI's so £500 and £1100 but it should be MUCH higher than that really to feel super secure.

Remember you can easily go 15-20 games and the rest without even cashing despite playing perfect poker.
  • edited February 2012
    £100 for £5 tourneys, £200 for £10 tourneys.

Just apply a drop-down-strategy if things dont go to plan e.g <130 play £5 tourneys, <£60 play £2 tourneys+sng.

• edited February 2012
    1% of your BR for MTT's
  • edited February 2012
    £100 for £5 tourneys, £200 for £10 tourneys. Just apply a drop-down-strategy if things dont go to plan e.g <130 play £5 tourneys, <£60 play £2 tourneys+sng.
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    thats no where near
  • edited February 2012

thick i wil just go for about 750

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: bankroll management : thats no where near
    Posted by rob12345
    In you'r opinion. 
  • edited February 2012
    Have to agree with him.  MTT is highest form of variance.  1% or less is going to make your life and ability to play a lot more comfortable.

£300 for £5 and £500 for £11 would feel like an utter nightmare to me. 

Does depend on field size your playing but either way wouldnt hurt to be overrolled.

Saying that I've finally become a BR nit and only play SG @ 1 to 2% BR 6 max 6 tableing.  Makes for a much more comfortable time of it though, trust me.

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: bankroll management : In you'r opinion. 
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    looks like everyone thick that
  • edited February 2012
    Have to agree with him.  MTT is highest form of variance.  1% or less is going to make your life and ability to play a lot more comfortable. £300 for £5 and £500 for £11 would feel like an utter nightmare to me.  Does depend on field size your playing but either way wouldnt hurt to be overrolled. Saying that I've finally become a BR nit and only play SG @ 1 to 2% BR 6 max 6 tableing.  Makes for a much more comfortable time of it though, trust me.
    Posted by AMYBR
    what do u thick about going wif 700 to 800 ish
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: bankroll management : what do u thick about going wif 700 to 800 ish
    Posted by rob12345
    Stick with the £5.50s mate
  • edited February 2012
    i probably wouldn't advise entering a tournament (100+ runners) with more than 2% of your bankroll, probably 1% at a push.
    i.e. with a bankroll of £200 between £2 and £4 is what i would recommend, in my honest opinion i would be playing £2.20 MTT's and possibly £3.30's at a real push, depends on the following:
    - How confident you are in your ability and
    - How much the money means to you, if it means alot then £2.20 is the way to go.
  • edited February 2012
    I think BRM can be a personal thing tbh.  We all have different comfort zones and tilt levels. 

Say your playing £10 MTT's with a roll of £750 and go on a 20 game non cash.

How is that going to affect you?  Will it affect your judgment, or cause you to do creative things with your roll.

If topping up isnt a real issue, start off over rolled.  Have a clear plan of what you want to acheive monetary wise.

Are you looking for an income, extra income or to grind up a roll.

I have flamed dozens of BR's.  I have had huge steam issues in the past and am naturally self destructive.

But through perseverance managed to overcome my tilt factor and erroneous leaks (BJ and playing wa-hayy over my BR - mainly to get even).

Set out a goal and BR rules.  Everyone needs one.  I have a set monetary value I need to make each day, to hit a target to withdraw each month as my wage.  But I keep no less than 150BI's for the game of my comfort (6 seater SG 6 tables running).

For me, this controls my steam factor.  Being over rolled makes it much harder to tilt, which is my major issue.  Critical decisions and ridic suckouts become nothing to get in a muddle over.  They are what they are, finding it much easier to move on when goes south.

Sorry I have waffled.  Answering your question directly:  If increasing your BR by deposit isnt a problem (to be more comfortable) why do it marginally?  Have a roll that can take a period of run bad that wont effect your minset too much.  Put yourself in very comfortable territory and play your best aggressive poker comfortably.

Waffle over, good luck.

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: bankroll management : Stick with the £5.50s mate
    Posted by sonnyjimmy
    i got the money to play 20 pound game just trying work out how much to take off
  • edited February 2012
    i probably wouldn't advise entering a tournament (100+ runners) with more than 2% of your bankroll, probably 1% at a push. i.e. with a bankroll of £200 between £2 and £4 is what i would recommend, in my honest opinion i would be playing £2.20 MTT's and possibly £3.30's at a real push, depends on the following: - How confident you are in your ability and - How much the money means to you, if it means alot then £2.20 is the way to go.
    Posted by Swog
    good player made quite a bit for poker just trying work out how much to take of the site
  • edited February 2012
    I think BRM can be a personal thing tbh.  We all have different comfort zones and tilt levels.  Say your playing £10 MTT's with a roll of £750 and go on a 20 game non cash. How is that going to affect you?  Will it affect your judgment, or cause you to do creative things with your roll. If topping up isnt a real issue, start off over rolled.  Have a clear plan of what you want to acheive monetary wise. Are you looking for an income, extra income or to grind up a roll. I have flamed dozens of BR's.  I have had huge steam issues in the past and am naturally self destructive. But through perseverance managed to overcome my tilt factor and erroneous leaks (BJ and playing wa-hayy over my BR - mainly to get even). Set out a goal and BR rules.  Everyone needs one.  I have a set monetary value I need to make each day, to hit a target to withdraw each month as my wage.  But I keep no less than 150BI's for the game of my comfort (6 seater SG 6 tables running). For me, this controls my steam factor.  Being over rolled makes it much harder to tilt, which is my major issue.  Critical decisions and ridic suckouts become nothing to get in a muddle over.  They are what they are, finding it much easier to move on when goes south. Sorry I have waffled.  Answering your question directly:  If increasing your BR by deposit isnt a problem (to be more comfortable) why do it marginally?  Have a roll that can take a period of run bad that wont effect your minset too much.  Put yourself in very comfortable territory and play your best aggressive poker comfortably. Waffle over, good luck.
    Posted by AMYBR
    well i have been playing poker for 3 years and never had top up my money and i never tilt
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: bankroll management : i got the money to play 20 pound game just trying work out how much to take off
    Posted by rob12345
    Leave yourself with a grand then.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: bankroll management : Leave yourself with a grand then.
    Posted by sonnyjimmy
    yea go something like that
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: bankroll management : well i have been playing poker for 3 years and never had top up my money and i never tilt
    Posted by rob12345
    I saw your other thread and know you've had a lot of success.

Problem is: virtually everyone goes broke in their poker life. But everyone tilts.  Just because it hasnt happened yet or we dont see something doesnt mean its not there.

Be careful not to feel invincible bud, its a huge trap.  Playing well, running well and having success is great.  But (kind of like falling in love for the first time), when the wheels come off for the first time, its the hardest.

Keep your BRM at a level that keeps you comfortable and confident, but do be wary of overconfidence. 

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: bankroll management : I saw your other thread and know you've had a lot of success. Problem is: virtually everyone goes broke in their poker life. But everyone tilts.  Just because it hasnt happened yet or we dont see something doesnt mean its not there. Be careful not to feel invincible bud, its a huge trap.  Playing well, running well and having success is great.  But (kind of like falling in love for the first time), when the wheels come off for the first time, its the hardest. Keep your BRM at a level that keeps you comfortable and confident, but do be wary of overconfidence. 
    Posted by AMYBR
    Said it all.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: bankroll management : I saw your other thread and know you've had a lot of success. Problem is: virtually everyone goes broke in their poker life. But everyone tilts.  Just because it hasnt happened yet or we dont see something doesnt mean its not there. Be careful not to feel invincible bud, its a huge trap.  Playing well, running well and having success is great.  But (kind of like falling in love for the first time), when the wheels come off for the first time, its the hardest. Keep your BRM at a level that keeps you comfortable and confident, but do be wary of overconfidence. 
    Posted by AMYBR
    yea i will be fine i know that that most poker player have lost it all and that keep me on my toes coz deffo not what that to happen me
  • edited February 2012
    English only in the forum please. 

Sky mod69

• edited February 2012
    English only in the forum please.                                                   Sky mod69
    Posted by WHOAMI196
    what?
  • edited February 2012
    1% for MTT is to cover any downswings

Upswings are great but downswings can break you

gl
  • edited February 2012
    Try the sattelites rob they are good and get to play a higher tourney i advice any 1 to play sattelites because they cant afford the full buy in :)
  • edited February 2012
    Try the sattelites rob they are good and get to play a higher tourney i advice any 1 to play sattelites because they cant afford the full buy in :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    yea do play them