You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A 10 against 44

I was involved on the final table last night in the 4k deepstack,
last 4, i was in the BB with A 10 suit, sb raised  4x bb.(others folded)
I re-raised all in with a greater chip count which he called with 44.
Firstly, was i right to push?, would he have been right to call?
Then, what would be the odds of winning for both of us?
Im sure i was doing the right thing, even though he had been quiet on the table, he stole a couple of my blinds
which were pretty big at the time and the push wouldnt take me out but took more than half my stack.
There was a big difference in prize money from then so should i have let it go and look for a better position against
the shorter stacks? (i was second in chips at the time)
Your thoughts please as this is the second final table in 4 days and im sure if i can get heads up i will actually win one
soon.
Major1962

Comments

• edited November 2009
    In Response to A 10 against 44:
    I was involved on the final table last night in the 4k deepstack, last 4, i was in the BB with A 10 suit, sb raised  4x bb.(others folded) I re-raised all in with a greater chip count which he called with 44. Firstly, was i right to push?, would he have been right to call? Then, what would be the odds of winning for both of us? Im sure i was doing the right thing, even though he had been quiet on the table, he stole a couple of my blinds which were pretty big at the time and the push wouldnt take me out but took more than half my stack. There was a big difference in prize money from then so should i have let it go and look for a better position against the shorter stacks? (i was second in chips at the time) Your thoughts please as this is the second final table in 4 days and im sure if i can get heads up i will actually win one soon. Major1962
    Posted by major1962
    My thoughts are this Major, A 10 in the BB with a short stack who i'm sure has been stealing my blinds raising into me....... I do exactly as you did. A 10 is a big hand 4 handed, especially against a player you think has been stealing so has a huge range. Your Odds are Approx 50 / 50 as it's 2 overcards to a made low pair so your racing if he calls. As 2nd in chips you should apply preasure to the short stack and by the sound of it you hadn't been blind defending that often with nothing so he should respect it. He may want to race if he is short on chips but he should def be prepared to be 50/50 if he calls with 44 (4 handed he can be pretty confident you just have overcards to his pair)
  • edited November 2009
       Firstly your all in reraise with A10 was right 100% of the time.  It is a big hand on a full table and very big when it goes short handed.  If you were up against a steal then it is easy chips for you. The only time it would not be good is if you were up against a big pair or a bigger ace. But you cant go around be paranoid about these hands all the time. You asked your opponent a question for their tournament life. They called knowing at best they were in a coin flip. The call by them was marginal but understandable.

My advice would very simply be, keep doing what you are doing. You have obviously been playing well to get to the final tables , and reraises like that show that you are making the right decisions. If you keep this going you will surely get to heads up and/or win one soon.
      Good luck
  • edited November 2009
    i  would  have  done  the  same major u  have   two    over  cards  to    small  44   cion  flip
  • edited November 2009
    Defo do same as you, just your ace or ten.
  • edited November 2009

Yup, you were totally right to push, especially as you were pushing for his life, not yours.

He took the gamble by calling, not you, and you gave yourself the best chance to win.

(in hindsight, it's easy to say well you could have called, then shoved on the flop and unless he's hit his set he'd probably have to fold - but you do not know he has such a low pair beforehand and that tactic would have given him the chance to outdraw you on the flop if he had been behind pre flop. That's also known as "results orientated" thinking and it's best not to think like that).

As it was, you were both 50% to win the hand pre flop (if you had not been suited then it would have been 52% - 48% in his favour), however I must emphasise that you played the hand better than him and should not worry about the result.
  • edited November 2009
    Would have done the same as you.  In that scenario with an A and good kicker, I would have gone for it. If you win then you take him out. Not sure of the odds, math not my strong point, but would fancy my chances.
  • edited November 2009
    yep right move