You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What to do?

edited November 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
Ok situation, 6 handed, I'm on the BB holding JJ with 20k chips (blinds 300/600), UTG shoves all in for 19.8k chips, it is folded round, what do you do?

So far UTG player has done this with 44 and 66 but has slow played premium (yes shoved all in with no action, and showed each time), so when I find JJ in the BB and he does this again, I called. He flips over AA and I'm decimated.

1. Could we ever put him on AA here?
2. Should I have folded anyway despite what he has shown other times?
3. What do we think of the villains play?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    yep  ncolly  if  hes  pushing   from   utg    well  he  has  defo  got  a  massive  hand  some  players  do  that   push  with  medioco  hands   hopeing  to  get  called   when  they  have  a  monster     and  it  work   be  carefull   against  them  sort of  players
  • edited November 2009
    about  hes  played  it  right   utg  1st  to   act    u dont  push  from  that  postion  with  nothing
  • edited November 2009
    Its for your tournament life, you have to remember thats the most important thing, I'd pass. Just because he has showed weak pairs before isnt it more likely the 3rd time he's going to have a strong hand, even if he shoves AK, AQ you are flipping for your tournament life when you still have 33 big blinds and plenty of room to play, why go out on a gamble? Its a definate fold for me.
  • edited November 2009
       The problem is JJ is probably the hardest hand to play. The UTG raiser has asked you to play for your tournament. 3 possibilities
     1.  he has a big pair in which case you are in deep trouble
     2. he has AK or AQ in which case you are racing
     3. he is bullying with junk in which case you are a big favourite.

From UTG we can prbably eliminate 3. Which leaves either a race or dominated.You have over 30 BBs at this point so you have a lot of play in your stack. For me it would be a overly cautious fold. I would be looking for a better spot. JJ for me is a shoving hand not a calling hand, when tourny life is at stake.

The main thing to remember is just because he has shown weak pairs before does not mean that is what he always makes that move with. You show your cards to tell a story to your opponents, so the best thing i find is to ignore all shown cards because they only give you the information that they want you to have.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm unsure of this one TBH, doesn't every piece of strategy advice that everybody gives on here say define your your opponents range and act accordingly? If thats the case then i think your call is OK.His range is defined as everything from 22 upward. what has you beat? AA KK QQ, What are you racing against? AK AQ KQ and your beating or dominating all other combinations. Lets face it if he does this here again with 10's or below then Champagne flows from the heavens and people declare your call fantastic and just deserts for the player pushing light (or lighter anyway) UTG.

The coment above that mentions he could be doing it with AK AQ........yes but he could also do it with A J (leaving him 3 outs to his overpair & some str8 possibilites) or KJ, QJ and many other things. He is trying to look lose by showing but theres nothing to say this is the one where he has it.

Against a Tiaght Agressive are you folding ..... yes probably but against a guy with a track record of shoving low pairs UTG.... A lot harder to lay those Jacks down.

If this is 3 times in Very quick succession then i may put them down as after 1 & 2 the guy knows the next time he's getting called so he's going to it with the goods. but if theres a good space of time between his pushes then i'm less likley to jump to the aces or Kings conclusion

UTG means a lot less to Internet players these days. How often have you seen raises with suited connectors UTG or 5's and 6's? and how many times have you seen no respect for the UTG raise that you have made. 4 callers to your QQ raise UTG only for the board to smack and Ace & a King on it. You fold, they play it out and the winner is holding A 5 or some similarly weak hand. UTG = not once it once was, people raise weak here in comparison to what they used to and the raises here are not respected anymore.
  • edited November 2009
    its  nothing  to  do  with  respecting  your  raise      ace rover   because  not  got a clue  about   the  game    ona  cash  table  the  other  day    got  aa  on  the  button  raised   1.20    got   re  raised  by  the  big  blind    so  i  put  him  all  in   not  belive  when  called  seen   cards  7 2  os    yes  he  won  hit    trip 7s
  • edited November 2009
    Cheers for the feedback guys, always easier to conclude when you have some other players views.

My decision was perhaps a little hasty, given the history it was possible that the next time he did this was with a very high PP, and with JJ being a vunerable hand, I could have found a better spot.
  • edited November 2009
    I think in that situation, 6 handed with JJ knowing that UTG has done this previous 2 times with low pocket pairs i probably would of called too.

Simply because of that fact. He's turned over the 4's and the 6's after shoving and not being called before, and with this being a similar situation i'd put him on another pocket pair but obviously when you've got the hooks, you gotta think your chances are pretty decent of him holding another mediocre hand.

Suppose it was bad timing really.
  • edited November 2009
    TBH, I dont make that call AQ, AK your only 50-50, big pairs which can happen your dead. Yes smaller pairs are in his range but for your tourney its a tough call.
  • edited November 2009
    A crying fold, and here's why

1 - It looks suspicious - why would he show his 44 and 66 if not to sow seeds of doubt.
    2 - You're calling with JJ, not raising with them - need to be cautious.
    3 - It's not a check raise, or a re-raise. You were in the blind for 600 - 3% of your stack and he pushes - hardly anything invested! Why go broke in this pot?

Best case call scenario, he pushed with a low pair - you're a big favourite, but not immune to a suck out - you double-thru.
    Worst case call scenario, it's a big pair and you're crushed, or overcards and you're racing...
    Folding scenario - you lose 600 chips, you have a maniac to your right who is prime for a check-raise spanking... You should be able to get his chips in the end.
  • edited November 2009
    I would be folding this, mostly because your tournament life is pretty much at stake. I feel with your chip stack there's plenty of time to find a better spot and all you've sacrificed is your 600chip blind.
  • edited November 2009

Hi Colley, some excellent posts already on here, so I won't waffle on.

All I will say is that without any history on the player, I'm 80-90% folding. However, with the hands he's shown before, I probably would have called just like you did.

So in answer to question 3, he's probably played the hand perfect. He was hoping someone would wake up with a big hand, think he was trying it on and call.

You did on all three counts and the rest, as they say, is history.

Lesson learnt and we move on to fight another day.

• edited November 2009
    I would fold, would not enjoy it but would fold. You have to think that he has something good with that bet in that position.  I am not afraid to fold up to JJ, have in past situation folded AQ not suited in a similar situation, but would go out all guns blazing with QQ and above.
  • edited November 2009
    Urdadi adds an interesting point.

If JJ is a fold here...

What should/would we be calling with in this position?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: What to do?:
    Urdadi adds an interesting point. If JJ is a fold here... What should/would we be calling with in this position?
    Posted by NColley
    My personal play would be A A or K K only, but I think i play a little too tight most of the time.