You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Defying conventional wisdom III - don't slow-play big hands heads-up

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Last one of these, I promise.

We've all heard it: when you're heads-up in a tournament you should 'change gears' and slow-play your big hands. The aim is to make your opponent kill himself through his own aggression while you sit there with a monster and call him down.
I disagree (of course, no point in the thread otherwise!)

Here's an example. The last hand from the £750 GTD yesterday (and also to show that my slightly unorthodox way of playing can pay off):
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
BigBluster Small blind  1000.00 1000.00 70442.00
VILLAIN Big blind  2000.00 3000.00 64558.00
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

BigBluster Raise  7000.00 10000.00 63442.00
VILLAIN All-in  64558.00 74558.00 0.00
BigBluster Call  58558.00 133116.00 4884.00
BigBluster Show
  • Q
  • Q

VILLAIN Show
  • A

Flop

• K

Turn

River

BigBluster Win Pair of Queens 133116.00  138000.00
Nothing exciting in the hand per se, but would slow-playing my queens have elicited the shove? I doubt it very much. Yet convention has you slow-playing in this situation, when at best the villain would raise, then fold when you come over the top. He only shoved to my raise because he thought I was trying it on, a slow-play would have sent alert bells ringing in his head.

Forget the conventional theory about slow-playing, when heads-up entice the shove. The best way to entice the shove is by raising.
In my opinion, of course.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    The title thread doesnt seem to quite match the content or perhaps am reading wrong.

I think the last time anyone slowplayed anything was in 2003 :p

• edited February 2012
    just raise the button like i presume u normally would, hate the 4x

it's not like you've forced him 2 shove light, it's QQ vs AT HU 32bbs deep, the money is normally going to go in, if anything, by 4x'n, i presume this is not your normal raise size, you are just advertising your hand strength
  • edited February 2012
    Just re-read this thread and it looks list a boast thread. "Half-baked player gets lucky and wins a tournament".

Mods - please delete.

• edited February 2012
    (JOKE REPLY)

I actually figured thats what these three "defying conventional widom" were really about :)

That you had won an MTT through non standard play and were super chuffed about it and were sharing your wisdom :p

Did you limp button with pocket 4's, flop a set and stack someone?  Then minned K's in LP stacking the blinds by any chance :)  Then get aggro with Q's vs A10 HU?

(Meant to be very tongue in cheek)

Well done sir :p
  • edited February 2012
    fwiw i think slowplaying big hands is a very good thing HU but the example isnt all that great
  • edited February 2012
    OP should be commended on his exceptionally unorthadox play in the hand posted :)

wp