You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did i play my hand wrong

_G__G_
edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic

i had a few beats over the time but i i normally forget about it play the next hand and get on with it, but this one i still thinking about it, i know player pay their money and take there chances, but some still don't add up, can anyone tell me if i played it wrong thanks.

rActionCardsAmountPotBalanceJNWallerSmall blind 75.0075.0014520.00hosereel24Big blind 150.00225.001735.00 Your hole cards6A   CARLOSRAM7Call 150.00375.001960.00federer11Fold    _G_Call 150.00525.007237.50conair4u24Call 150.00675.0015486.25JNWallerCall 75.00750.0014445.00hosereel24Check    Flop  26A   JNWallerBet 300.001050.0014145.00hosereel24Fold    CARLOSRAM7Call 300.001350.001660.00_G_Raise 600.001950.006637.50conair4u24Fold    JNWallerAll-in 14145.0016095.000.00CARLOSRAM7Fold    _G_All-in 6637.5022732.500.00JNWallerUnmatched bet 7207.5015525.007207.50JNWallerShow54   _G_Show6A   Turn  3   River  7   JNWallerWinStraight to the 715525.00 22732.5

Comments

• edited February 2012
    fold/raise pre. Make it bigger on the flop, a min re-raise on the flop, essentially does nothing you may aswel of called. On some boards i may call to trap as your unlikely to get much action, but on this board alot of turn cards kill you action, given the limped pot alot of small connecting cards are likely in the range of villians, so making them pay to draw out on you here is vital. Say for example a 4 hits on the turn, your hand goes from a very good hand to an average hand. Given the way you played you have to snap call the shove, then it was just unlucky.
    Good luck.
  • edited February 2012
    raise pre
    raise more on flop

lolz @ oppo play

ul
  • _G__G_
    edited February 2012
    ok thanks you saying i should of made it a bigger bet on the flop, say i should have gone all in first and make him decide.
    Glen
  • edited February 2012
    The mistake is the usual one, limping in with a rag ace is rarely profitable.  The button and blinds are going to come in with a wide range. So 5 ways going to the flop it is difficult to hit your hand strongly enough.

But having somehow hit top two, you then face a small bet and a caller, on a pretty dry flop. Raising was correct but your bet was too small. 1200 would have shown strength and probably taken it down.

His shove looks horrendous with just a gutshot, but he obviously sensed weakness from your previous actions, and has the stack to try to bully you off the hand.

How quickly did you call it ? I would have fallen for it and put him on 22 or 66 and folded. Having called it was very unlucky, but you allowed yourself to get into this mess.

So if you cant fold A6 preflop, raise !
  • edited February 2012
    Fold pre.

As played make flop 875 - 1100
  • _G__G_
    edited February 2012
    thanks for all your advice, i will take it on board, been playing poker for a few months, and i think i have improved 100% from when i started, but that's easy when you start with no knowledge of the game. i play mainly 2-30 bounty, and been on several final tables won 1  second a couple of times, i have lots of problems but i trying to tick them of one by one, bet sizing is one that i cannot get to grips with yet, i tend to bet to little, not to sure how much to bet to get the answer i looking for 2x 3x 4x, i will get there but its a bit of a struggle at the moment , any tips you can give me thanks 
    Glen 
  • edited February 2012
    fold pre and on flop hate the min raise people are calling u with a whole range of hands here i would make it a cool 1 k 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Did i play my hand wrong:
    thanks for all your advice, i will take it on board, been playing poker for a few months, and i think i have improved 100% from when i started, but that's easy when you start with no knowledge of the game. i play mainly 2-30 bounty, and been on several final tables won 1  second a couple of times, i have lots of problems but i trying to tick them of one by one, bet sizing is one that i cannot get to grips with yet, i tend to bet to little, not to sure how much to bet to get the answer i looking for 2x 3x 4x, i will get there but its a bit of a struggle at the moment , any tips you can give me thanks  Glen 
    Posted by _G_
    If in doubt about bet sizing just hit the 3x button if you like your hand
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Did i play my hand wrong:
    thanks for all your advice, i will take it on board, been playing poker for a few months, and i think i have improved 100% from when i started, but that's easy when you start with no knowledge of the game. i play mainly 2-30 bounty, and been on several final tables won 1  second a couple of times, i have lots of problems but i trying to tick them of one by one, bet sizing is one that i cannot get to grips with yet, i tend to bet to little, not to sure how much to bet to get the answer i looking for 2x 3x 4x, i will get there but its a bit of a struggle at the moment , any tips you can give me thanks  Glen 
    Posted by _G_
    An easy guide to bet-sizing pre-flop for beginners is to always make it 3BB and add another blind for every limper. So if two players limp in front of you, you can make it 5x. Post-flop a bet of half-pot is standard. Raising someone elses bet is more tricky to work out for beginners but your bet should always be in relation to the size of the pot, not the size of the oppo's bet (if they make a comedy, small bet) and never less than half-pot unless you have a Baldrick-style cunning plan. Hopefully in time you'll refine your betting to suit yourself, but those tips won't steer you too wrong.

The problems with your hand stem entirely from your pre-flop play, I'm afraid. If you look at what happened on the flop you can say you were unlucky, but you shouldn't really have been in this situation anyway. The best tip I can offer any new player is that you always want as few opponents on the flop as possible. Ideally you'll be heads-up against just one opponent. So, to echo the bulk of the posters, limping-in was your mistake. Folding is definitely the best option with A6, then raising with limping being a long, long way behind in third... If I could think of another option for you, I'd rank that ahead of limping too.

But hey, I can't be too critical. You should have seen me when I started. We've all got to learn sometime. :)