You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Mini open last 19

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
sitting 9/19, 4 handed
UTG been opening a few, raising to the same amount from EP
Vill has folded once to a big stack 3 bet shove
Only hand seen when vill calls a 12bb stack 3 bet shove w/A8s

what are we doing here

answers on a postcard
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
rancid Small blind   800.00 800.00 34300.00
RODDERS45 Big blind   1600.00 2400.00 68012.50
  Your hole cards

--bigjl-- Raise   3600.00 6000.00 79046.50
nolegs577 Fold        
rancid

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Shoooovvvvveeeeeee
  • edited February 2012
    Pretty yuk tbh.

You imply he is doing this light a reasonable portion of time, which he ought to be at 6 max 4 seats with the healthy stack, depending on aggro factor of table.

Hate 3bet fold + too deep to shove.......myeh but we add 6k back onto our stack of 34k when we can take it down pre.

If we flat, BB is priced to call any 2 generating 11k pot vs 2 opponents oop.

At 4 max my range utg with his stack is going to be suuuper wide......

Think its going to come down to pure read of dynamic & opening range of UTG + aggro factor of BB.

If he is likely light I think I shove.......myeh but then at 4max he has interesting decision (based on stacks) with alot of paint combos that he opens with.

May even flat and play through streets, but feels kind of timid.  Going to depend if I feel have edge on table + reads on UTG....

Hope it worked out for you.  Am indecisive on this one in honesty.  Dont like shove, dont like 3bet either.  Think I take a passive route but is likely bad.

EDIT:  Misread and thought blinds were 400/800.  With being 800/1600 whether we shove or not is player dependant.  If he calls AIPF for 12BBs w A8 he'll call for 20.  His calling range is going to be wider @ 4 seats.  I suspect we can find a better spot to use our 20bbs in the next 2 orbits.  We will get looked up by alot of hands we are flipping against.  Dont mind drawing the line here vs perceived flip, dont mind finding a spot with less resistance.  I think we will be called more often than not however.
  • edited February 2012
    its a easy shove from shovesville next to all in town 
  • edited February 2012
    Looks like a shove to me too. You definitely don't want to call and you can't be folding 88 to a single bet on a 4-max table. With roughly 20BB we have good fold equity and we just have to accept that, if we get called, sometimes we have to win all-in coups in tournament play.
  • edited February 2012
    I would be wagering everything under my nose.

To expand the conersation further what's everyone's shove range here?

I'm probably doing it with 77+, ATs+ AJo+ KQ.
  • edited February 2012
    same but not ace ten 77 and ace jack up 
  • edited February 2012
    Sit me four-handed with 20BB and I'm looking for 3-betting spots. A9o and 22+ would be enough for me... I wouldn't like getting called with A9 or 22, but I don't see AT or 77 being in much better shape against my opponents' calling range anyway... You really can just play the situation and 3-bet shove with any two, but that depends on having experience of your opponents which isn't available in this example.
  • edited February 2012
    Raise to 6k and call shove, or Call if your going to 3 bet fold

We are just about deep enough for call to be ok here but if you think the villain can fold a good % then i like re-raise to 6k
  • edited February 2012

my reshipping range here is wider than my belly if hes been raising alot

I dont agree that we will be called more often than not. I think this gets through more. you have more than enuf chips to hurt him so i think he would think twice about calling light. (and its not a BH lol)

Also i personally dont like flat calling because we are oop and will have to make a decision on a flop with overcards on it usually. Its a waste of 2 big blinds unless we hit a set.

Unusally i feel qualified to comment on this one as i have recently won 2 mini opens and final tabled a couple too :)

• edited February 2012

We have to win flips at this stage to get stack to win right?

Do we want folds, are we happy if we shove and get called

If called we flipping at best, surely – flipping Is good with 20bb ish?

Oppo calling range is over pairs + big aces right, everything else oppo folds

Do we raise to 6K to look like big premium so he lays down range he would call a shove with

Is it better to set mine, and if no set wait for a better spot to get that double up versus mr aggro or are we happy to stick it in

All In all bit unsure in this spot even though I think versus aggro open this is a very standard shove spot, but with 20bb maybe I can wait a little

All in all if players are calling shoves lighter than normal, then should we tighten raising/shoving range or not :S

I’ll post result later if anyone cares enough )

• edited February 2012

It's 10% of your stack to set mine.  You could be going up against 2 oppos with 88.  My opening range at this stage would be 99 but I'm a nit!  I prob fold. :-(

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Mini open last 19:
    It's 10% of your stack to set mine.  You could be going up against 2 oppos with 88.  My opening range at this stage would be 99 but I'm a nit!  I prob fold. :-(
    Posted by Glenelg
    I used to fold here too, its only when i stopped folding in spots like this that my mtt results improved

• edited February 2012
    Yeah calling is bad as you gonna get owned so many times OOP on paint boards, 21bbs feels perfect for reshove, also it's 4-handed makes it even more obvious.
  • edited February 2012
    with your all in u have 2 ways to win u get the dead money small blind 800 big blind 1600 and the raise 3600 thats 6 k nice chips to add to your stack sorry young gun im never min raising here id be happy if every 1 folds and pick up the 6 k to add to your stack and if u get called most probs a flip its a easy decision here ship em in 
  • edited February 2012

Are we pinning too much on 88 for the shove to hold up

We are at best flipping versus btm of oppo calling range

Surely oppo folds enough to make it a shove and increase our stack by 18%

If called we have a made hand, but with 20bb – I am really struggling to find a shove here! 15bb = ez shove but seriously with no antes we happy shoving this

• edited February 2012
    yeah im shoving all day long here like u said if every 1 folds are stack increases 18 per cent and if u get called its most liekly a flip which is not bad ya gotta win ya flips to win tourneys right
  • edited February 2012
    Are we pinning too much on 88 for the shove to hold up We are at best flipping versus btm of oppo calling range   Surely oppo folds enough to make it a shove and increase our stack by 18% If called we have a made hand, but with 20bb – I am really struggling to find a shove here! 15bb = ez shove but seriously with no antes we happy shoving this
    Posted by rancid

Yeah this was pretty much what I was trying to say through sleep deprived brain last night.  Its a shove or fold
  • edited February 2012
    Are we pinning too much on 88 for the shove to hold up We are at best flipping versus btm of oppo calling range   Surely oppo folds enough to make it a shove and increase our stack by 18% If called we have a made hand, but with 20bb – I am really struggling to find a shove here! 15bb = ez shove but seriously with no antes we happy shoving this
    Posted by rancid
    If you're folding 88 here 4-handed most decent players will just be running all over you knowing you need a monster to reshove.
  • edited February 2012
    I'd disagree. 

I misread stack/blind size initially on this.

Its not our hand strength, but stack size that is the issue when playing this hand.

When shoving here I think we are getting looked up more often than not, with flipping at best being likely.

If we feel we can use our last 20bigs in unopened spot more effectively I def pass.

If its an aggro table where UTG opens light I likely opt for that flip though, but when shoving I'm mostly hoping for a fold.

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Mini open last 19 : If you're folding 88 here 4-handed most decent players will just be running all over you knowing you need a monster to reshove.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    tis true, anyways - result/sigh
    18% add on
    4 handed
    aggro opener
    no brainer init

point is, MTT with no antes and the majority being passive - can we wait for a better spot :()
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    rancid Small blind   800.00 800.00 34300.00
    RODDERS45 Big blind   1600.00 2400.00 68012.50
      Your hole cards

--bigjl-- Raise   3600.00 6000.00 79046.50
    nolegs577 Fold        
    rancid All-in   34300.00 40300.00 0.00
    RODDERS45 Fold        
    --bigjl-- Call   31500.00 71800.00 47546.50
    rancid Show

--bigjl-- Show
    • A
    • J

Flop

• J
    • J

Turn

River

--bigjl-- Win Three Jacks 71800.00   119346.50
  • edited February 2012
    Yes I think we can wait for a better spot, dont think we HAVE to, but I think we can.  Oppo call you with less that your still flipping vs.

If we feel we have an edge on table I dont think it is a no brainer.  We have a slightly playable stack which we may opt to use rather than opting to flip vs utg oppo's opening range.

Shovers remorse then Rancid?  As always in a game, if we have strong reason to do something in poker, and understand why we are doing it, its always right, outcome regardless.
  • edited February 2012
    Just standard hand imo, folding is way TOO nitty and trust me I know nitty lol
  • edited February 2012
    standard obv was gonna be a flip
  • edited February 2012
    There is no prize increase until 9th place (10th sucks) you NEED to increase your stack to get into the top 9, let alone go for the win.

This is a great +EV spot.
  • edited February 2012
    shove, enter next tourney, run better
  • edited February 2012
    It's really not a question of outcome here. You shoved and took the aggressive line. That is undoubtedly +ev and ultimately you are the favourite over the AJ anyway. There's been quite alot of talk about the opponents calling range here, but the better point to make is that his opening range, four-handed is as wide as it gets. Most players open here with JT or better, and players like me - super-laggy - will open with any two. Against that opening range you definitely profit from the shove. You can never, ever call here unless you enjoy seeing three overcards on the flop and seeing your eights disappear, nor can you ever raise-fold. So that just leaves folding to an opener with a range that we're way ahead of, or shoving... It's an easy shove and this is one of the few times in poker that you can say there is a definitive "right" thing to do.
  • edited February 2012

It's really not a question of outcome here. You shoved and took the aggressive line. That is undoubtedly +ev and ultimately you are the favourite over the AJ anyway. There's been quite alot of talk about the opponents calling range here, but the better point to make is that his opening range, four-handed is as wide as it gets. Most players open here with JT or better, and players like me - super-laggy - will open with any two. Against that opening range you definitely profit from the shove. You can never, ever call here unless you enjoy seeing three overcards on the flop and seeing your eights disappear, nor can you ever raise-fold. So that just leaves folding to an opener with a range that we're way ahead of, or shoving... It's an easy shove and this is one of the few times in poker that you can say there is a definitive "right" thing to do.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    HI BL,
    As a newbie who wants to improve I've found this thread really interesting and I take on board Gregs comment. As I said above I'm a nit so I'd def fold and wait for a better spot, tho I do realise that its a shove or fold scenario.  I'm interested in the AJ/JT opening ranges bit.  If I COULD put oppo on JT I reckon I still fold as I reckon I'm only slight favourite and I'm putting my tourney life at risk.  I'm guessing from the comments from the experiencied players I'm def getting this wrong? (percentage wise I mean)  Would you shove with ANY PP?

Also, sorry for your BB Rancid & hijacking your thread!

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Mini open last 19 : HI BL, As a newbie who wants to improve I've found this thread  really interesting and I take on board Gregs comment. As I said above I'm a nit so I'd def fold and wait for a better spot, tho I do realise that its a shove or fold scenario.  I'm interested in the AJ/JT opening ranges bit.  If I COULD put oppo on JT I reckon I still fold as I reckon I'm only slight favourite and I'm putting my tourney life at risk.  I'm guessing from the comments from the experiencied players I'm def getting this wrong? (percentage wise I mean)  Would you shove with ANY PP? Also, sorry for your BB Rancid & hijacking your thread!
    Posted by Glenelg
    The part that makes this a deffo shove includes the hands like this, which he raises but will fold to your shove
  • edited February 2012

I'm a pretty experienced SNG player, so I'm really used to playing short handed, shortish stacked like this. Obviously it's a very different game to short handed, deep-stacked cash games so to cash players you can look a bit reckless saying "3-bet shove with 22+". lol

My opinion on it is that the opening range of most players, 4-max is at least 30 hands. If we assume that they'll call our 20BB with 10 hands we're "afraid" of - AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, AK, AQ, AJ, AT - then we're going to get this through uncontested 2/3 times against a tight opener. Even when we're called, we're a slight favourite against four of the ten hands in his calling range anyway. So the 3-bet shove pre-flop is the obvious play in light of those assumptions. Of course there may also be 88 and 77 in our opponents calling range but we're definitely not afraid of those. In that sense the 22 is in a very similar position to the 88. It's a flip against the overcards and most of the time it will get a fold anyway.

Late in tournaments it's all about pre-flop play. When we're four-handed, 88 is a monster. Most people will have a super-wide opening range in order to pay the blinds which come around every other hand. We can see a shove is likely to be profitable against a tight range so against a wide range it's even stronger.

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Mini open last 19 : HI BL, As a newbie who wants to improve I've found this thread  really interesting and I take on board Gregs comment. As I said above I'm a nit so I'd def fold and wait for a better spot, tho I do realise that its a shove or fold scenario.  I'm interested in the AJ/JT opening ranges bit.  If I COULD put oppo on JT I reckon I still fold as I reckon I'm only slight favourite and I'm putting my tourney life at risk.  I'm guessing from the comments from the experiencied players I'm def getting this wrong? (percentage wise I mean)  Would you shove with ANY PP? Also, sorry for your BB Rancid & hijacking your thread!
    Posted by Glenelg

Don't be silly, this is why I put these out there :()