You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Down swings

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat

How long do down swings last ? just bombed out of the open all in with best hand and again got outdrawn (sharkscope graph has fallen of a cliff!!!) been three  weeks now getting very little hands but playing position and the few hands I get but you cant win unless  your all in hands hold up same last night all in with A K got called K 10 happy days untill 10 hits night before jj v22 and another 2 hits and it goes on, sooooo frustrating getting to the point I wont go all in been folding AK   KQ to all ins  I know I must just keep playing my normal game but am starting to play very passive oh well just a rant and to find out if anyone else is in the same boat (wheres my life jacket ) lol

Comments

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Down swings:
        How long do down swings last ? just bombed out of the open all in with best hand and again got outdrawn (sharkscope graph has fallen of a cliff!!!) been three  weeks now getting very little hands but playing position and the few hands I get but you cant win unless  your all in hands hold up same last night all in with A K got called K 10 happy days untill 10 hits night before jj v22 and another 2 hits and it goes on, sooooo frustrating getting to the point I wont go all in been folding AK   KQ to all ins  I know I must just keep playing my normal game but am starting to play very passive oh well just a rant and to find out if anyone else is in the same boat ( wheres my life jacket ) lol
    Posted by JONONZIE
    no m8 thats been happening for the last 9 months
    col
  • edited November 2009
    I'm in the same boat and have lowered my stakes as there are great players in here and just aint gd enough at moment.

Although u mention a couple of hands you were ahead it is down to how many you have went in behind or simply outplayed.
  • edited November 2009
    one  going  on  for  two  weeks
  • edited November 2009
    i play some double ups if i am on a bad run ,

this can get the confidence back .
  • edited November 2009
    The trick seems to be getting in with junk at the moment
  • edited November 2009
    Perhaps loosen up a bit and don't leave it til ur short stacked and opponents are obliged to have a bit of a gamble as ur stack isnt gonna dent theres too much?  I would advise practising a bit looser on DYM tables and seeing if its a style u can adapt to.
  • edited November 2009
    I had a similar spell a month ago on £3.3o DYM's kept getting outdrawn at every chance, 2-outers, 3-outers galore. Completely obliterarted my good work at previous levels, confidence was very low and you start to predict it's coming before it does. funny enough I did it once had Kings went all in but typed here comes the outdraw, got beaten by Nines lol.

What I decided to do was for the first time record all my games wins, losses the lot so far I've progressed up through 30p, 60p and into £1.15 DYM's and feel a lot more comfortable with my game and secure, often when you only work off Sharkscope it can send you crazy trying to get the line back to where it was lol.

Good luck on the tables anyways.
  • edited November 2009
    I had a bad losing streak that lasted about three weeks.
    I just carried on playing my normal game and things have now going great.
    I have now moved up to the 60p DYM games and there don't seem to be so many chancers there.
    I think it would be the same on the £1.10 games as well.
    If things keep going well, I might move up another level.
    Getting out drawn a lot can be very frustrating, but just stick with it and your luck will change eventually.
  • edited November 2009
    Ive not won a thing since ive been here m8.Good fun though and as the saying goes you cant win em all but enjoy trying
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Down swings:
    Ive not won a thing since ive been here m8.Good fun though and as the saying goes you cant win em all but enjoy trying
    Posted by EJD24
    Tell me what tables your on, i'll be there in a tick lol
  • edited November 2009

Do you want the loonytoon advice - You see if your on a losing streak, what you have to do is keep trying for bigger and bigger buy in fees, that way if you keep going, you will win eventually and be back to even money when you win. If you get to the largest buy in table and have still not won, you need to go for the 'in for a penny in for a pound' strategy. This is quite easy, all you have to do is either re-mortgage your house, or if you are a tenant, get a temperary loan from the bank, or if you are in bad credit go to a loan shark and get more funds. If you still havn't won by the time the creditors come looking for you, i recommend you give up poker, change your name and hide. I hope this helps.

• edited November 2009
    Do you want the loonytoon advice - You see if your on a losing streak, what you have to do is keep trying for bigger and bigger buy in fees, that way if you keep going, you will win eventually and be back to even money when you win. If you get to the largest buy in table and have still not won, you need to go for the 'in for a penny in for a pound' strategy. This is quite easy, all you have to do is either re-mortgage your house, or if you are a tenant, get a temperary loan from the bank, or if you are in bad credit go to a loan shark and get more funds. If you still havn't won by the time the creditors come looking for you, i recommend you give up poker, change your name and hide. I hope this helps.
    Posted by loonytoons
    hi lonny ,

we at gamblers anonymous wish to invite you to our next meeting.

a key note speech from you at this meeting would be very much appreciated .

regards
                other loony [ irishrover ]
  • edited November 2009
    Just as the laws of probability allow for the fact that an infinite amount of monkey working for an infinite amount of time are PROBABLE but not BOUND to write the complete works of Shakespeare, and that you could throw a coin an infinite amount of times and still NEVER hit heads or tails - It's a possiblity that a bad run of luck in poker will never come to an end.

Just trying to cheer you up mate
  • edited November 2009
    You're folding AK and KQ preflop?

No wonder you're on a downswing.
  • edited November 2009
    Posted by loonytoons

looooooooooooooooooool
  • edited November 2009
    thats poker man, hang in there.
  • edited November 2009
    Nirvana - you do know one-line posts don't count for the poster's freeroll don't you?
  • edited November 2009
    lol
    Posted by diablo_pez
    cheers for the feedback had a chuckle with some of the replys, Still happening though played 1500 bounty hunter tonight came 50th went all in with KK (me 2300 chips 1200 in the pot pre flop) got called by two players 10 10 and JJ and i knew  i would not win, lo and behold a j hit deja vue some very aggresive players tonight and they kept hitting !! but as with most bullys they dont know when to stop and so crashed and burned, nice to see

• edited November 2009
    when it gets to the stage where u EXPECT 2 lose it's best to have a break for 3-4 days i think, gl m8
  • edited November 2009
    I played 3 tonight and bombed out of 2 pre cash and one in the cash. Can't remember the first but I was in with the best and lost it. On the bubble in the 2nd I raise the pot to 4bbs and get called by a mid stack for 30% of his stack. Flop gives me top pair Ace kicker. He goes all in, I call and he has 2 pair. What I don't understand is why call with Q9 os. In the last just before the final table I get AA. Guy puts in a moderate raise, I go all in and he calls with KK.........you know the rest.

If it wasn't so bad it would be laughable.
  • edited November 2009
    You're folding AK and KQ preflop? No wonder you're on a downswing.
    Posted by Deadluck
    Concerning calling an all-in generally I'm folding KQ all day long. So easily dominated.
  • edited November 2009
    Not sure if this helps as I am prob one that has done your chips. Was in a low level bounty hunter tonight and doing quite well when I had a sudden rush of blood and went all in with 8 4 off suit 1st to act (LUCKY HAND). I doubled up beating a K K. Hope this helps. Finished 4th & went out to the chip bully doing my normal stand up to them routine. Hope this helps though prob not. Good luck and look out for me with my all in 8 4 routine.
  • edited November 2009
    when it gets to the stage where u EXPECT 2 lose it's best to have a break for 3-4 days i think, gl m8
    Posted by diablo_pez
    this is quite funny and true in some ways.

you cant put a timescale on it really. ur downswing is number of  hands, not days/weeks/months.  All depends how often you play i think
  • edited November 2009
    I've been on a downswing since 1988.

I learnt a lesson a long time ago.

I only play for fun, play what I can easily afford to lose (a saturday in the boozer costs more than a month's poker) and take the outdraws on the chin. I get more upset by my own bad play than an outdraw.
  • edited November 2009
    Its probably possible to downswing for 1k tournaments and still chalk it up to variance.

Variance in cash can go for 100k+ hands in tough games.

www.sharkscope.com/SharkScope/DisplayGraph?GraphType=UserHistory&u1=2Wisdomy&Network=pokerstars&Username=sswebsite&Password=&Currency=USD&TimeZone=8&ClientTimeZoneValue=UTC&searchTag=27.028217910183134&GraphWidth=540&GraphHeight=420&nocache=1257673281817&version=303&GeneralSearchType=SNGO&Filter= SNG Only" alt="" width="540" height="420" />

This is my graph.

I would consider these swings standard.
  • edited November 2009
    Love Loonys comment.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Down swings : Concerning calling an all-in generally I'm folding KQ all day long. So easily dominated.
    Posted by nagrom
    Depends on stack sizes and blinds. But all day long? Never.

OP: Think about decisions you've made early on, particularly when u let urself get short stacked so that you're only covering 4-5bb. Review your sessions, particularly tricky hands where you've let villains outdraw you. Ranting about 10bb poker is pointless, we all get bad beat, we all want to tell everyone about it, but no1 really cares. Suck it up and get it in good />50% of the time and you'll be a winning player in the long run. Even AAvKK is only a 4:1 favourite.
  • edited November 2009
    My luck was awful for most of yesterday,B/H,CASH,GTDs and even in SATS.I just kept gettin outdrawn after going in ahead.I still entered the OPEN and managed to cash in 56th.Even then though my exit hand was AK suited vs AJ off,yes you guessed it was the J.lol and gl all
  • edited November 2009
    Take a few days off, you could be trying to hard. Might be wise to have a breather an comeback refreshed! ;)