You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A,K, 3-way, NL8 turn spot. Advice needed please.

Hi guys. Been on a short break from the tables for the last week or two due to pressing matters at home. This was first serious session this month and was fairly readless on fabio and capello. (had to change names and the guy just happened to be on tv at the time).

Table was reasonably weak in my opinion. Plenty of limp calling etc and some loose calls shown down on the river but fabio was obviously having a bit of a gamble at the table and the other guy capello i hadnt noticed too much but hadnt been on table very long. Sorry for the limited reads.

Question is basically what to do on the turn. Is it as simple as shove or fold?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
newelly08 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £4.14
LT_Bones Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £2.07
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

DrSharp Raise  £0.24 £0.36 £10.17
fabioCall  £0.24 £0.60 £2.47
capelloCall  £0.24 £0.84 £8.30
newelly08 Fold     
LT_Bones Fold     
Flop

• A

DrSharp Bet  £0.64 £1.48 £9.53
fabioCall  £0.64 £2.12 £1.83
capelloCall  £0.64 £2.76 £7.66
Turn

DrSharp Bet  £2.07 £4.83 £7.46
fabioAll-in  £1.83 £6.66 £0.00
capelloRaise  £4.14 £10.80 £3.52
DrSharp ??? 

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Fine pre-flop. I don't think that A9 or A8 is calling your bet on the flop, it's going to re-raise, and it's highly unlikely that AA would only call pre-flop after a raise and a call in front.

The guy doesn't have enough back to make you too afraid. I think you're committed after your bet on the turn. If he has 89, 99 or 88 or some weird two-pair hand with the 3, I think you just shrug your shoulders and move on.

So just move it in on the turn. You've played it fine to my eyes. I can't argue with it at any point. Surely, though, you make the £2 bet on the turn to get Capello to put his chips in, not to bet-fold.
  • edited February 2012
    capello must be mad about teh england job... all in!
  • edited February 2012
    Fine up until the turn, i make it £1.50 on the turn, that way if shoved on you can get of the hand.
  • edited February 2012
    Flat call then click minraise on turn looks super strong to me.

Feels like 88/99/A9/A8/89. Hands that you beat AQ/AJ/A10 would most likely just flat again, anything that raises is surely ahead or just strangely turning their hand into a bluff which is rare at these limits.

The guy is also sat full stacked pre flop so either has just started or is good enough to know it's best to sit 100bb deep i.e slightly Reggy maybe?

Overall I make it less on turn so £1.50 then fold to raise.

• edited February 2012
    I think the flop play makes a two-pair hand unlikely. Capello called after a bet and a call in front on a very wet, draw heavy board. Almost every player will 3-bet in that position, to protect their hand and get value from an Ace. For that reason, I think we can rule out A8, A9 and, despite what I said earlier, 89 too. If we take those hands out, we're either facing a set of 8's or 9's or we're ahead of a high ace. That's unless he's playing a peculiar A3, which would just be unlucky for us.

On that basis I think his range has more high aces - AK, AQ, AJ, AT - in it than sets, so this is a good spot for us. Long-term I think we want to get it in here. I really don't like bet-folding since that 3 has changed nothing. We can't be folding these positions because we're afraid of sets. Sets willl show up in our opponents range sometimes but it's more likely to be an overplayed Ace.
  • edited February 2012
    sizing fine, I fold but it might be a call at 8NL

btw no way would I rule any two pair hand with an A out
  • edited February 2012
    Well, all my advice is offered as though in a vacuum. I have no idea how 8NL plays, but for most moderately skilled players, I'd stick to what I said.

If you know better at this level, then I can't say you're wrong, but against most players, most of the time you'll see a raise with A8, A9 or 89 on an A89 flop with two spades, a straight draw and an ace. They'll look to get value from Aces and flush draws before a scare card can come to kill their action, or possibly kill their hand.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A,K, 3-way, NL8 turn spot. Advice needed please.:
    Well, all my advice is offered as though in a vacuum. I have no idea how 8NL plays, but for most moderately skilled players, I'd stick to what I said. If you know better at this level, then I can't say you're wrong, but against most players, most of the time you'll see a raise with A8, A9 or 89 on an A89 flop with two spades, a straight draw and an ace. They'll look to get value from Aces and flush draws before a scare card can come to kill their action, or possibly kill their hand.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    yeah obv sometimes they raise 2p hands on flop. Equally though most players who flat top pair on flop dont raise on the turn that often either and bluffs dont make much sense. I wouldnt rule anything out v unknown at 8nl, but against someone who hasnt done anything out of line I'd be wary of flat flop/raise turn line