You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

CAPELLO GONE!

Who should take over though?

Comments

• edited February 2012
    If you've seen my FM2011 record, then I think it's obvious that I'm the only man for the job ;)
  • edited February 2012
    Don't see what difference it makes.
    Different managers. Different teams. Still cak!

• edited February 2012
    Bring on Martin O'Neill.

Make Rooney captain, it will make him grow up.

Get rid of the old guard and select the cream of the youngsters to go with Hart, Walcott et al , give them tournament experience in the Euro's and win the World Cup in 2014. 

God bless and have faith

Father Vaigret 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: CAPELLO GONE!:
    Bring on Martin O'Neill. Make Rooney captain, it will make him grow up. Get rid of the old guard and select the cream of the youngsters to go with Hart, Walcott et al , give them tournament experience in the Euro's and win the World Cup in 2014.  God bless and have faith Father Vaigret 
    Posted by vaigret
    +1

unfortunalty this wont happen harry will get the job and pick the same team thats done f all for the past 12 years

HART (RIGHTLY)
    JOHNSON (CANT DEFEND AND ISNT AS GOOD GOING FORWARD AS RICHARDS)
    FERDINAND (WAS GOOD 6 YEARS AGO)
    TERRY (MOST OVER RATED ENGLAND PLAYER SINCE BRYAN ROBSON)
    COLE (RIGHTLY)
    BECKHAM (NO IM NOT JOKING)
    GERRARD (RIGHTLY IF FULLY FIT)
    LAMPARD (WAS GOOD 6 YEARS AGO)
    PARKER (WILL GET SUSPENDED WITHIN 3 GAMES)
    LENNON (NOT CONSISTANT ENOUGH)
    DEFOE (HARRY LOVES HIM)
    CROUCH OR HESKEY (I KID YOU NOT)

WEVE GONE NOWHERE IN 2 YEARS SINCE THE LAST WORLD CUP
    IF HARRY GETS THE JOB THIS WILL CONTINUE
    O"NEILL WOULD DO A GREAT JOB BUT ALL THE FA ARE WORRIED ABOUT IS MAKING MONEY TO PAY FOR THE F UP THEY MADE OF BUILDING WEMBLEY SO WHOEVERS IN CHARGE WILL CONTINUE TO PICK PLAYERS ON SHIRT SALES RATHER THAN BUILDING A TEAM WITH A CHANCE OF WINNING ANYTHING IN THE NEXT 10 YEARS.
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Badboy I can understand your post about the incompetent FA and who the team is likely to be.

However I have the feeling they wont go Harry , he is not a long term prospect so i am still hopeful of O,Neill.

does anybody know how Pearce and O'neill got on at Forest(were they even there together) because I can see Pearce having the role either str8 away or after a time with Martin.

Forever hopeful

Father V

• edited February 2012
    I just can't see Harry Redknapp leaving spurs before the end of the season, they are still in with a shout of the title and he might want to savour champions league football next season.

Stuart Pearce is the logical temporary choice and probably could do a good job at the euros, he would at least give our top young pros a place in the squad and get rid of the overated waste of spaces such as g.johnson and j.terry!

Unfourtunately a number of top british managers either don't want the job or have entered new jobs recently.

I don't think the manager has to be English necessarily, part of the problem with Capello is that he couldn't speak a word of english when he joined and this is why the media didn't take to him.

Jose Mourinho for example is excellent with the media if a little controversial and absolutely loves the premier league.
  • edited February 2012
    Although no one would ever doubt Pearces passion and comitment just dont think hes tactically good enough.
    if your looking for a young coach expirienced mentor team how about

Beckham and Venables
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Badboy I can understand your post about the incompetent FA and who the team is likely to be. However I have the feeling they wont go Harry , he is not a long term prospect so i am still hopeful of O,Neill. does anybody know how Pearce and O'neill got on at Forest(were they even there together) because I can see Pearce having the role either str8 away or after a time with Martin. Forever hopeful Father V   
    Posted by vaigret
    the FA wont go for O,neill for the same reason Brian Clough never got the job he says what he thinks isnt worried about upsetting people and the massive egos in the squad would throw their toys out the pram and sulk if they wernt producing and got dropped
  • edited February 2012
    Oh well if your right it will be two England managers we should have had and wont get.

The Thing is both O'Neill and Clough would have picked players who could play together rather than superstars from superteams. The only other England manager who did that apart from Bobby Robson, who tried,  was the only one who has won the World Cup for us.

Namely Sir Alf Ramsey, he knew how he wanted to play in 66 , picked the players to do the job even if some were jobbing pro's and won it.

Do we never learn.

Father V
  • edited February 2012
    Oh well if your right it will be two England managers we should have had and wont get. The Thing is both O'Neill and Clough would have picked players who could play together rather than superstars from superteams. The only other England manager who did that apart from Bobby Robson, who tried,  was the only one who has won the World Cup for us. Namely Sir Alf Ramsey, he knew how he wanted to play in 66 , picked the players to do the job even if some were jobbing pro's and won it. Do we never learn. Father V
    Posted by vaigret
    After the debarcle of the last world cup the FA should have appointed oneill and said hes got 4 years to develope a young squad to be able to compete in 2014 world cup and write of anybody who will be over 30 by then. we were never going to catch spain,holland or germany in 2 years the euros will be anouther embarresment.

on you other point Robson got lucky in 1986 when Robson got injured and Wilkins got sent off and in 1990 we had they only world class players (gazza and lineker) weve had in 30 years.
  • edited February 2012
    Bring on Martin O'Neill. Make Rooney captain, it will make him grow up. Get rid of the old guard and select the cream of the youngsters to go with Hart, Walcott et al , give them tournament experience in the Euro's and win the World Cup in 2014.  God bless and have faith Father Vaigret 
    Posted by vaigret
    He's 26 years old ffs.If he hasn't grown up by now,
    he never will.
    Agree with you about martin o'neill tho(don't think
    sunderland supporters will ).
  • edited February 2012

What about Hart for captain. He's about the only one currently gauranteed a place and with no off field baggage.

• edited February 2012
    What about Hart for captain. He's about the only one currently gauranteed a place and with no off field baggage.
    Posted by harding10
    this whole captain thing is a load of cr@p most other countries whoevers got the most caps is most senior therefore captain the whole england captain rubish is just anouther FA money making idea
  • edited February 2012
    Oh well if your right it will be two England managers we should have had and wont get. The Thing is both O'Neill and Clough would have picked players who could play together rather than superstars from superteams. The only other England manager who did that apart from Bobby Robson, who tried,  was the only one who has won the World Cup for us. Namely Sir Alf Ramsey, he knew how he wanted to play in 66 , picked the players to do the job even if some were jobbing pro's and won it. Do we never learn. Father V
    Posted by vaigret
    Agree with every word, and if I was Redknapp, O'Neill or anyone else I wouldn't touch this job with a barge pole. Total poisoned chalice, no win situation, Harry is revered at Spurs, within 12 month he will be ripped apart by the gutter press and The Sun mentality fans.

We aren't good enough as a team of overpaid, pampered superstars, get a 'team' together. Nottingham Forest had a great backbone, from Shilton upwards. Banks led by example with Moore. Bobby Robson succeeded all over Europe. As your man here says, all because they were teams, not individual stars who a lesser coach thought would knit together as a unit.

The whole should always be greater than the sum of its parts.
    Well said Vaigret,
  • edited February 2012
    Thank you Oopnorth your Fiver is in the post. honestly though its not rocket science is it. In whatever team sport you play you only win if you have a team that can play together. 

igimc

You might be right but age doesn't come into it I'm afraid. you can give responsibility to a 40 year old, if they cant handle it you might as well give it to a 19 year old who can. I remember Bobby Robson giving the ipswich captaincy to Mick Mills when he first arrived at ipswich. Made him as a player and went on to play and captain his country. I just have this feeling that if you have a manager who undersatnds him and you give rooney the job he will come of age as a human being. As i said I might be way off the mark but we have to get Wayne playing better for England.  

Harding 

Hart would be my second choice as skipper my only concern is he is a keeper but that didnt hurt Italy with Zoff.

Whatever anybody thinks we have to build for 2014 not 2012 , any good performance there will be a bonus.

Father V 
  • edited February 2012
    Posted by vaigret
    +1 although I think Harry Rednapp could do the same

Just been looking at the latest odds for this : Redknapp still steady at around 2/5 , with Guardialo ranging from 7/2 (with Sky) to 9/1. Is there something Sky knows that we don,t?

Also interesting to see Mourinho ranging from 14/1 in places to 40/1. If Harry decides to stay at Spurs a little longer this won,t be 40/1 for long
  • edited February 2012
    i was looking at odds before and sorry to say to England fans, if you believe Guardiola will leave Barca for England i think you need to have a good hard look in the mirror.

Obviously i know hes considering not re-signing on for Barcelona but i believe thats due to the high pressure that comes with the job. Theres probably two jobs on the planet that match the pressure of being the current Barca role. England and Brazil.

Maurinho would be a better shout but again a long shot imo. O'Niel i believe has no interest in the England job, and Harry seems happy at Spurs.

Therefore from where im looking the choice isnt good.
  • edited February 2012
    Ally Mcoist imo.

He is currently manager of the most successful club in the history of the World, isn't that right Don? ;)
  • edited February 2012
    Ally Mcoist imo. He is currently manager of the most successful club in the history of the World, isn't that right Don? ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    umm no.
  • edited February 2012
    the don,

It is interesting what you say about o'neill not wanting it and that appears so at the mo which is strange. I had a feeling he was very interested before Capello got job and I was sure his transfer policy at Villa was to make sure he lots of young english players to show he could make a team out of our talent.

Perhaps he now thinks he has his dream job.

Father v 
  • edited February 2012
    the don, It is interesting what you say about o'neill not wanting it and that appears so at the mo which is strange. I had a feeling he was very interested before Capello got job and I was sure his transfer policy at Villa was to make sure he lots of young english players to show he could make a team out of our talent. Perhaps he now thinks he has his dream job. Father v 
    Posted by vaigret
    Well for one hes Northern Irish. Although i do suspect he really wanted the job when Capello became the manager. However i believe he had different views to the FA. Martin  is a fantastic manager (comming from a Rangers fan aswell) but i also know he wouldnt be bossed about. Hes always told it like it is. Something the FA dont seem to like.

I dont suspect he'll ever put himself in contention for the job again because of whatever happened the last time. He applied, whatever happened behind closed doors happened, but he seems alot different since then. I suspect much like clough and revvie back in the day, he wants to prove he can do better.

However to say hes like Clough in terms of the "greatest manager England never had" would be wrong imo. Simply because he isnt English. Only reason i say that.

Also advice for England. In 3 or your a last 4 international competitions i believe youve been knocked out by a team managed by Scolari. Simply solution imo, HIRE HIM
  • edited February 2012

The job is a posion chalice imo.So if we want an english manager Harry is the only contender but his experience in europe has to be questioned.If we go european i think 2 stand out,Arsene and jose but will they want the worst media hyped job in the world?.Martin o neil will never take the job he has already said so,Roy hodgson is not good enough ,Pardew is not good enough,So tbh if its english we go for its Harry.But, i think pearce will get it and becks be his number 2.

We need a total clear out of players and fa members to get england good again the likes of terry,ferdinanand,lamps,defoe,barry,milner ,need to be replaced with youth and quality.

Welbeck hmm unsure but sturridge is a must imo,He plays out of pos at chelsea and has still got 10 goals,When i get the job this will be my team(lol)

1..HART
    2..BAINES
    3..RICHARDS.
    4..LESCOTT.
    5..JONES..
    6..PARKER
    7..YOUNG.
    8.. CLEVERLY..
    9..GERRARD
    10..ROONEY
    11..STURRIDGE

• edited March 2012
    I think you are right don more the pity

Jim

I agree by why not get rid of Gerrard as well, one of the most overrated players of his generation and certainly one to get rid of now so we can plan properly for 2014

Father V
  • edited March 2012
    I think you are right don more the pity Jim I agree by why not get rid of Gerrard as well, one of the most overrated players of his generation and certainly one to get rid of now so we can plan properly for 2014 Father V
    Posted by vaigret
    Tbh i think the English media have and always kill most chances for England winning an International competition. What we have in Scotland is players who have no faith by the media, in England you have to much faith. A balance is key.

If our players read p[apers they think they have no chance, therefore they'll get that into their heads. The opposite is true for England, your lads will think they can walk the game.

ENgland are terrible for over-rating their players imo.
  • edited March 2012