You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do you beat NL10 & NL20?

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Yo Guy’s,

NL10 & NL20

If you have experience playing these levels what is the optimum strategy to beat them. I just cannot make any headway, win some – lose some –

Are these levels still very much ABC, seems to be loads of nits

Any advice would be great )

Comments

• edited February 2012
    NL10 is still pretty fishy if you table select well so just standard ABC there.

NL20 though you gotta start beating the other REGs so lots of 3betting IP, cbetting if they call/happy when they fold pre, basically loads of aggression. Also lots of note-taking the higher you go as it'll be more useful.
  • edited February 2012
    nl20, its a mixed bag, some very good players and some very bad ones too, once you suss out the bad players target them, i cant remember who said it but there was a quote saying even if your the second worst player at the table you can make money off the worst - wasnt the exact quote but along them lines, and its very true. In general its best to play tag imo
  • edited February 2012
    yeah pretty much what above have said play tight aggressive poker pretty abc and good table selection they are a lot regs at this level its hard to get penny off them unless its a cooler.

and robyoung it was neil channing said that you dont need to be the best as long as your better than the worst or sumfin like that lol.
  • edited February 2012
    neil channing said that he said u dont have to be the best player on the table to win money just play more pots against who u think is the worst on the table 
  • edited February 2012
    Avoid playing during daytime if poss, evenings and weekends are a whole different ballgame.

i play quite a bit of nl20you'll quickly recognise the multi tabling rocks, just keep pounding on their blinds - they'll only get involved with a big hand - never give them any action without nuts/huge draw. ( it's amazing but they are able to profitably multi table waiting for top 5% hands and still get a ton of action  ) Apart from obviously weak players, these are the types to bluff as at least they recognise what youre representing.

I think it used to be a big leak in my game to call way too much with suited connectors/small pairs in the hope of busting these rocks. I am much more likely to bin these now unless closing the action and pot going multiway.

Once you establish tight winning image its easy to throw in some v profitable 3-bet steals, float early posn raisers - esp when their contn bet looks weak when Ace flops or board looks scary

finally if things are not going your way, find another table rather than get stubborn, no matter how bad the opposition is , everyone wants to take you on when you cant seem to win a pot.

• edited February 2012
    look for fish innit. tbf mate nl20 is my bread and butter. as you know i play nl20/30 and have done for  over a year now. im not good enough to play nl50 and when i get my ba ll s handed to me on a plate there i have to drop back to these levels to get the br back up.
    theres probably a dozen players you want to stay away from and the rest is pretty much abc. just remember 1 thing, if you have 6 allins in a night ,win 4+ of them and all is good :-)
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: How do you beat NL10 & NL20?:
    Avoid playing during daytime if poss, evenings and weekends are a whole different ballgame. i play quite a bit of nl20you'll quickly recognise the multi tabling rocks, just keep pounding on their blinds - they'll only get involved with a big hand - never give them any action without nuts/huge draw. ( it's amazing but they are able to profitably multi table waiting for top 5% hands and still get a ton of action  ) Apart from obviously weak players, these are the types to bluff as at least they recognise what youre representing. I think it used to be a big leak in my game to call way too much with suited connectors/small pairs in the hope of busting these rocks. I am much more likely to bin these now unless closing the action and pot going multiway. Once you establish tight winning image its easy to throw in some v profitable 3-bet steals, float early posn raisers - esp when their contn bet looks weak when Ace flops or board looks scary finally if things are not going your way, find another table rather than get stubborn, no matter how bad the opposition is , everyone wants to take you on when you cant seem to win a pot.
    Posted by simonnatur
    +1 Good point you made there, as important the fish are in the game,  equally as important is an understanding on how to approach the multi-tabling-nits; having a basic strategy/plan. For example (as you probably aware) holding AQ, AJ, jj etc does not look pretty in a 3-bet/4-bet pot against a multi-table-nit, knowing this, and having the correct approach against these players can save you a lot of money-z.

I don't agree with you'r last point, fully, except on the occasions that there are no fish, or surrounded by better players. Losing flips or bad beats, with plenty of fish at the table is a bad reason to leave the table imo. Continuing with a winning-strategy(if you have one;)) will ensure you will win in due-course.
  • edited February 2012
    yeah not good to play 10nl or 20nl in the afternoon u always get the regs on doing there daily grind always best to play at night mainly weekends get the drunk fish on and at nite get the recreational players playing 
  • edited February 2012
    Play me more , ez game
  • edited February 2012
    Play me more , ez game
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Don't think that worked out for me, yet!
    Think we are at the same tables for the same reason, possibly :S

• edited February 2012
    Nah jus saying im the value keep playing my tables ur soon benefit:) 

or am i just trying to get u to play me hmmmmm .. 
  • edited February 2012
    I don't play it that often, but I play LAG : )

It's swingy but profitable overall
  • edited February 2012
    Nah jus saying im the value keep playing my tables ur soon benefit:)  or am i just trying to get u to play me hmmmmm .. 
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    enough with the mind games moobs )
  • edited February 2012
    come on rancid, i played you a few times at this level and you have more than enough game to crush this. do you think its a mental thing and because its a step up you "think" they are better players more of the time? at least i KNOW nl50 is beyond me most of the time, but you should kick nl10/20.  phil
  • edited February 2012
    come on rancid, i played you a few times at this level and you have more than enough game to crush this. do you think its a mental thing and because its a step up you "think" they are better players more of the time? at least i KNOW nl50 is beyond me most of the time, but you should kick nl10/20.  phil
    Posted by pod1
    Maybe I am just running slightly -EV atm, over playing certain spots - my table selection is not great because I not sure on the REGS
    I probably need to step back and get myself alligned with the overall ability of the level and search valoooo

Think while I am playing NL10 & NL20, I think they don't play the same and I am playing em the same - if that makes any sense

I feel there is a jump from NL10 to NL20 and maybe I should just play on or the other or realise wtf I am doing wrong

Time to re focus me thinks, feel another diary comin on )

• edited February 2012
     i normally play 4 tables and i split them , 2 nl20 and 2 nl30 (you can do the same with 10/20 :-)).after a few sessions you will find there aint that much difference at all.