You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Moving up the stakes

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi, i think im a competent player and may be capable to beat higher stakes than NL4, but would like to know what everyone recommends i build roll up to, until i move to the next level. Would you advice reaching 25 levels for the next level before moving up? I thought the following, feel free to comment or give feedback:

NL4 - £100
NL5 - £150 (below £125 move down)
NL8 - £200 (below £160 move down)
NL10 - £250 (below £200 move down)
NL20 - £500 (below £400 move down)
NL30 - £750 (below £600 move down)
NL40 - £1,000 (below £800 move down)
NL50 - £1,250 (below £1,000 move down)
NL100 - £2,500 (below £2,000 move down)

At what point should i be increasing the amount of buy-ins required to move up?
Is my moving up a level scheme of allowing 5 buy-ins okay?
If its at all possible could you copy and paste what your 'moving up the stakes chart' would look like.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    These figures all look fine to me. The more cautious players will recommend you have 30 BI's for each level.
    Personally,if you are playing well/running good then don't be afraid to take shots at higher levels with 12-15 buy ins. If you lose a couple of BIs you can drop back down but if all goes swimmingly you will soon be adequately rolled for the level.

I believe Gliterbabe started with a 350 quid stack at NL50 and has never deposited since. Mind you, poker would have been a lot softer back then!!!!
  • edited February 2012
    yea this sport on as long as u stick to it gl luck at the tables
  • edited February 2012
    This isn't right IMo, i may be on the cautious side but there is no way you can approach a new level with 12-15 buy ins. I play with 40 buyins but 6 tbale the stakes I do. these may be rough guidelines but as you start to move through the levels the swings will be more damaging mentally IMO so you will need more 
  • edited February 2012
    Treat nl4 n nl5 as the same level, only play the nl5 action table if it looks soft.

It's fine up to 20nl, worry about the rest if/when you get there.

early levels may be abit cautious but nothing wrong with that. 

The more confident you are with  a) your poker ability, b) your discipline/tilt control, the more adventurous you can be with your br @ micros. 

• edited February 2012
    20 bi are fine if you can beat the micro level

plus downswings can be />10bi's so I think as you move up you will need more bi's > NL10

30-40 bi is more sensible

being over rolled is better imo

but if you on a heater and playing well, smash the granny out of the next level

but I think you will find that you will hit a brick wall at some point, thinking your going to smash all levels with 20 bi is very optismtic - even if your are good enough - the downswings will hurt

gl
  • edited February 2012
    My bankroll stands at £225, my figures show i'm beating NL8, NL5 and NL4. What should be my plan of action for NL10?
    When should i start taking shots? When should i be playing NL10 (6 tabling) on a permanent basis?

Any advice would be gratefull, thanks for the posts so far.
  • edited February 2012
    Just pick the best 6 tables anywhere between nl4 and nl10.

If the best 6 are all @ nl10 (v unlikely) then go for it. 

• edited February 2012
    Myeh if thats your roll and playing 6 tables @ nl10 you have nearly 30% of your roll on table at any given time.

Really would be a recipe for disaster.

I wouldnt be in the greatest hurry to move up.  Work up a healthy roll @ a level that you dont beat, but you crush.

Build roll, build confidence and equally importantly...build comprehensive notes.
  • edited February 2012
    tbh i find one bad run and these br's are torn apart. variance cetainly at the lowest levels can be extremely high (obviously it can be high at the top but good players teand to fold when their behind)
  • edited February 2012

I'd recommend minimum of 30 buy ins to multi table 20nl, 40 at 30nl, 50 for 40nl and 80 for any level above that.

Bankroll cushion should get progressively bigger since in theory you start coming across tougher opponents.

• edited February 2012
    what would be a win rate for 'crushing a level' in terms of bb/100?

I'm going to take shots at NL10 (maybe 1 or 2 tables out of 6 at NL10 per session) when i hit £250, if i lose 2 buy-ins at NL10 regardless of results on the other tables, i will move down. Then i will revise my strategy, maybe go for 27 buy-ins (£270) before i next take a shot.
    Then once i hit £300+ i will hopefully play a mixtue of NL4, NL5, NL8 and NL10.
  • edited February 2012
    10/100 or greater is crushing

5-9/100 is very good

1-4/100 is ok

But you need to look at a massive sample size for true reflection of how your performing at a level, say 500,000 hands

Biggest mistake is to run good then jump up a level and wonder why your getting crushed ()
  • edited February 2012
    Like most things in life, the quicker you try and do something the worse it turns out.

Took me bearly 4 years to sort my online BRM out, there were alot of steam issues and fringe leaks in my game tho.

Being over rolled really does make your life a tonne easier, rather than continually pushing the envelope.  I keep around 130 BIs for 6max 3 table cash/3 table 6max SG these days.  Has totally removed Tilt and steam...mostly.

No one winning/losing session should hurt us or effect our mind set.  Does depend on individual tiltfactor however.

I would recomment to anyone to be massively overrolled.
  • edited February 2012
    at the moment:
    NL4 - 22bb/100 (5k hands)
    NL5 - 31bb/100 (1.1k hands)
    NL8 - 14bb/100 (3.5k hands)

So at the moment things aren't going to bad, hopefully after 50k+ hands in each level, i'll have a better reflection of win rate.
  • edited February 2012
    Yeah that volume is pretty small, I'd say after 10k you should have a decent idea how well you're doing.
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Swog

Your returns on all 3 levels are looking good so far, apologies for going off topic slightly but iv'e been looking at ways to record my sessions into BB/100, Could I ask:

1, What formula do you use to calculate your winnings/loses

2, How can i track how many hands p/hour im playing.

Sorry if this is dead basic but im pretty new to the game and think tracking my sessions will help me improve!!!
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Moving up the stakes:
    Hi Swog Your returns on all 3 levels are looking good so far, apologies for going off topic slightly but iv'e been looking at ways to record my sessions into BB/100, Could I ask: 1, What formula do you use to calculate your winnings/loses 2, How can i track how many hands p/hour im playing. Sorry if this is dead basic but im pretty new to the game and think tracking my sessions will help me improve!!!
    Posted by WINKY911
    the only way u can do it on sky is to wight it down or use sharkscope but that is only use for mtt and sit n go s
    because sky dose not use tracking software
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Moving up the stakes:
    Hi Swog Your returns on all 3 levels are looking good so far, apologies for going off topic slightly but iv'e been looking at ways to record my sessions into BB/100, Could I ask: 1, What formula do you use to calculate your winnings/loses 2, How can i track how many hands p/hour im playing. Sorry if this is dead basic but im pretty new to the game and think tracking my sessions will help me improve!!!
    Posted by WINKY911
    After each session i record my profits for the session, if your playing the same cash level you can just look at bankroll before session then after, but if your playing across a few cash levels simultaneously you will need to go to 'My Account' and manually work out profits for each cash discipline (take note that it only covers your last 10 tables).  Then got to 'Hand History' to find out how many hands you played in the session (take note this only covers your last 500 hands). Then after each session you can add a cumulative total to 'profits' and 'hands played' in excel like such:
    NL4 (02/02/12)
    Hands Played:5429
    Profit:£50.90
    £/100:£0.94
    BB/100:23.44
    Then i have excel run a formula to work out £/100 and BB/100. i.e.
    £/100 ''=100*(profits/handsplayed)''
    BB/100 ''=(£/100)/big blind''

if you use my figures of hands played and profit, you should get the £/100 and BB/100 using the formulas mentioned above.
    PM me if you are still unsure. good luck.
  • edited February 2012
    maybe a stupid question but do you only include the hands you were involved in or all of the hands from the session???
  • edited February 2012
    all hands from the session.