You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fold or Call??

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
you're beating a bluff, he 3 bet pre, clearly has the overs and with your call you're playing the hand face up they know you have j with q/k/a or 8's / 9's that you're stubborn to let go off and that they will get paid, you should fold pre flop, if called then you have to call flop also but fold on turn, definite fold on river it's clear you are being owned at that stage. They are first to act on every street and have overbet on river knowing they get paid. If you had QQ/KK then although you smell a rat you might well call off all of your chips. But your probably not flatting pre flop with those hands, you'd 4 bet (considering you even contempalte flatting with AJ proves this) on that board they know your calling with a J/hgh kicker as if they had you on kq/aq/ak they'd have check raised river once you'd bluffed, so the answer to your qustion is you get away from it pre flop, turn or most definately river, if you've seen a flop i'm guessing you call the flop bet in fairness to you but that's it

Comments

• edited February 2012

• edited February 2012
    yeah i thought pre flop was the only time to get away from it, during the hand i was thinking he has AA , but its friday night and ive had a few. so i payed him off. sickened.
  • edited February 2012
    I think when you review this hand the first thing that should strike you is that you've put 140BB into the pot with, effectively, a one-pair hand. So we can be reasonably sure that at some point, we can get away from it. So let's have a look at things, street-by-street.

The action's folded to you and you make the 3x raise in late position with AJ. That's fine. You're called by the button, but then you see a very small 3-bet from the BB. This should scream real strength, since it's clearly not big enough to be a squeeze. It doesn't look as though he wants us to fold, - Remember he's made this raise into two players - it looks as though he wants some action.  We need to immediately narrow our opponents range to premium hands -AA, KK, QQ and maybe JJ, TT and AK - as well as a few, poorly valued, random bluffs. I don't mind your calling this bet, because of the pot odds, but we need to be wary through the streets since our opponent's showing so much strength.

You go heads-up to the flop, in position, flop top-pair, top kicker but your opponent leads out for full-pot. That's a big bet. Usually a c-bet will be around the half-pot mark, since your opponent will know that if you've missed the flop you won't be able to carry on most of the time. Here, this looks again like real strength. I don't totally hate the call, since many times people will make one desperate stab at the pot, following up their pre-flop raise with a big bet on the flop, but it's starting to look really strong. We can definitely consider folding here but I imagine most players would follow your line and call.

The turn is where we absolutely have to give up the hand. The turn is another 5, which is very unlikely to change the situation, and your opponent fires out big again. We have to ask ourselves; Would our opponent keep firing big bets without a big hand, after we've shown strength on the flop with the call? Having seen his pot-bet called on the flop, very few players would carry on with bluffing AK, or any other random bluffing hand, into the strength you've shown. If we think about the range we assigned him thanks to his pre-flop aggression, his entire range now beats us - AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT. We have to put him on a very specific hand - AK of diamonds - in my opinion to give us any reason to continue in this hand. I think even that hand is extremely unlikely here anyway, and it's far too narrow a range to justify carrying on, especially when every other hand in his perceived range has us crushed here.

I hope that's not too brutal. I don't think it would be helpful to give you a short "100% fold the turn" answer without explaining why.
  • edited February 2012
    no thats exactly what im looking for mate, proper advice, alarm bells were screaming in my head but i just couldnt find the fold button. thanks for your input mate.