You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad Session Analysis - Part 1

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi Guys.

After moving up to NL10, I started off well but then it all went pear-shaped. After 6796 hands I am now £26.38 down (about 4 big blinds per 100 hands).

I've just come away from a bad session. I was wondering if I could have some feedback. I was playing two 6-max tables and a full ring table. I know some of these situations may depend on reads.

I will post every hand where I lost more than £1. (One was already posted in another thread.)

Hand One
healss Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £5.35
Pysterman Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.90
 Your hole cards

staceykian Call  £0.10 £0.25 £3.48
ginge003 Fold     
ToffeLad Fold     
redpepper1 Fold     
cld89 Fold     
bunce05 Raise  £0.20 £0.45 £4.25
betman82 Call  £0.20 £0.65 £8.41
healss Fold     
Pysterman Call  £0.10 £0.75 £9.80
staceykian Call  £0.10 £0.85 £3.38
Flop

Pysterman Bet  £0.43 £1.28 £9.37
staceykian Call  £0.43 £1.71 £2.95
bunce05 Call  £0.43 £2.14 £3.82
betman82 Raise  £0.86 £3.00 £7.55
Pysterman Call  £0.43 £3.43 £8.94
staceykian Call  £0.43 £3.86 £2.52
bunce05 Call  £0.43 £4.29 £3.39
Turn

• K

Pysterman Check     
staceykian Check     
bunce05 Check     
betman82 All-in  £7.55 £11.84 £0.00
Pysterman Fold

Hand Two

Tried to steal on the flop. Slowed down after call. Figured I could have been ahead or at least chopping by the river so check-called.
Pysterman Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £9.03
maruff Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.30
pod1 Big blind  £0.10 £0.25 £9.90
 Your hole cards
  • A

acesadam86 Fold     
pod1 Raise  £0.20 £0.45 £9.70
Appletasm Fold     
sunnyboy06 Fold     
Pysterman Call  £0.25 £0.70 £8.78
maruff Fold     
Flop

• J

Pysterman Bet  £0.40 £1.10 £8.38
pod1 Call  £0.40 £1.50 £9.30
Turn

• J

Pysterman Check     
pod1 Check     
River

• Q

Pysterman Check     
pod1 Bet  £1.13 £2.63 £8.17
Pysterman Call  £1.13 £3.76 £7.25
pod1 Show
  • Q
  • Q

Pysterman Muck
  • A

pod1 Win Full House, Queens and Jacks £3.47  £11.64

Hand Three

Could I have repped the flush here after villain checked turn?
maruff Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.19
BIGADS777 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £6.43
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • J

pod1 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £12.32
Appletasm Fold     
ZedsDeadBa Fold     
Pysterman Call  £0.30 £0.75 £9.55
maruff Fold     
BIGADS777 Call  £0.20 £0.95 £6.23
Flop

• J

BIGADS777 Check     
pod1 Bet  £0.48 £1.43 £11.84
Pysterman Raise  £1.44 £2.87 £8.11
BIGADS777 Fold     
pod1 Call  £0.96 £3.83 £10.88
Turn

pod1 Check     
Pysterman Check     
River

pod1 Check     
Pysterman Check     
pod1 Show
  • J
  • A

Pysterman Muck
  • Q
  • J

pod1 Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 9s £3.54  £14.42
Hand Four

I had seen the villain bluff shove the river with air before now.
Appletasm Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £5.87
ZedsDeadBa Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.94
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

Pysterman Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £9.70
maruff Fold     
BIGADS777 Call  £0.30 £0.75 £13.13
pod1 Fold     
Appletasm Fold     
ZedsDeadBa Fold     
Flop

Pysterman Check     
BIGADS777 Bet  £0.56 £1.31 £12.57
Pysterman Raise  £1.96 £3.27 £7.74
BIGADS777 Call  £1.40 £4.67 £11.17
Turn

Pysterman Check     
BIGADS777 Check     
River

Pysterman Check     
BIGADS777 Bet  £3.50 £8.17 £7.67
Pysterman Call  £3.50 £11.67 £4.24
BIGADS777 Show
  • A

Pysterman Muck
  • J
  • J

BIGADS777 Win Flush to the Ace £10.79  £18.46

Comments

• edited February 2012

hand 1 seem fine to me
    hand 2 don't like calling pre wif a bad ace out of potion fair play for betting out but i thick u have got to bet the turn if bet the flop coz u get floated and called by ace hi and small pair and if bet the turn all them fold.
    hand 3 think reaping the flush is hard coz to me it looks more like pod would have the flush wif just calling the re raise on the flop.
    hand 4 i thick u should have bet the turn as 6 has not change that much and are u checking the turn for pot control or to get value on the river and when u have played it like this u have gone wif read so not that bad to got wif your gut.

• edited February 2012
    1: Pre marginal v not full stacks. Check flop

2: Fold or 3bet pre, usually fold. If you want to bluff flop c/r imo (and you need to bluff flops if you flat pre). Prob fold river

3: I'd often fold pre to an utg open. Flat flop, raising turns your hand into a bluff

4: bet turn, I'd consider folding river, but call prob ok
  • edited February 2012
    hand 1 fold pre, hand 2,3,4, gotts bet turn.
  • edited February 2012
    got to agree with Grantorino.

When you play any hand, you should be checking the stacks of everyone you are playing against.

The aim of the game is stacking your opponent. You want to be winning 15-20 quid pots at 5p/10p which you can't do against a guy with 4quid. I find these players are more likely looking to just ram the money in and play on the fact it won't cost much to get an all in with them.

On the hand with the jacks, I like the check raise on the flop as it should make hands like the one he had fold. A bet on the turn may have taken it, but as you thought at the time, the chances of him having top pair possibly a hand like 6-5 was a risk. The river is just unfortunate.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Bad Session Analysis - Part 1:
    got to agree with Grantorino. When you play any hand, you should be checking the stacks of everyone you are playing against. The aim of the game is stacking your opponent. You want to be winning 15-20 quid pots at 5p/10p which you can't do against a guy with 4quid. I find these players are more likely looking to just ram the money in and play on the fact it won't cost much to get an all in with them. On the hand with the jacks, I like the check raise on the flop as it should make hands like the one he had fold. A bet on the turn may have taken it, but as you thought at the time, the chances of him having top pair possibly a hand like 6-5 was a risk. The river is just unfortunate.
    Posted by ballboy
    I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you're advising here.

I understand how when playing a drawing-type hand, such as when you're set-mining, you need your opponent(s) to have large enough stacks to give you the correct implied odds to call.

The stacks in Hand One, to which I assume you're referring, were short, but not super short (roughly £4 and £8, with another £4 stack to call behind). Surely, for 10p, I'm getting reasonable odds to call here.

Are you saying that you should only get involved against non-full stacks when you have a premium hand? That seems very one-dimensional to me.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Bad Session Analysis - Part 1 : I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you're advising here. I understand how when playing a drawing-type hand, such as when you're set-mining, you need your opponent(s) to have large enough stacks to give you the correct implied odds to call. The stacks in Hand One, to which I assume you're referring, were short, but not super short (roughly £4 and £8, with another £4 stack to call behind). Surely, for 10p, I'm getting reasonable odds to call here. Are you saying that you should only get involved against non-full stacks when you have a premium hand? That seems very one-dimensional to me.
    Posted by Pysterman
    its more of a general tip mate. When people are raising to 40p+ and have a small stack I tend to give them no action until they either double up or top up or I have a big hand. it depends how you play. If you like raising a lot and want to keep nicking blinds etc its not as important how big their stack is when its like 2.50-5 quid. When its less than that they 3bet shove a lot so its not a good proposition raising them as your image will be destroyed when you fold for like an extra 60p or showdown weak hands.

With small pairs obviously they make a set 1 time in 8 (rounded up from about 7.5 I think it is) so if they raise to 50p you need them to be having 4 quid minimum and obviously you having this amount as well. Ideally more I would say as they might not have a hand you can get 3 streets of value of (eg- if  they have A9 etc and you have pocket pair.). Ideally when I am calling 5x raises PF I am hoping they have Aces or Kings because if I hit I am getting everything. As more people call preflop your implied odds get better and the potential pot you can win gets bigger

ps- unlucky with the trip Queens hand earlier. If you want to put that on here I can talk through my thinking on the other side but its probs a bit obvious
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Bad Session Analysis - Part 1 : its more of a general tip mate. When people are raising to 40p+ and have a small stack I tend to give them no action until they either double up or top up or I have a big hand. it depends how you play. If you like raising a lot and want to keep nicking blinds etc its not as important how big their stack is when its like 2.50-5 quid. When its less than that they 3bet shove a lot so its not a good proposition raising them as your image will be destroyed when you fold for like an extra 60p or showdown weak hands. With small pairs obviously they make a set 1 time in 8 (rounded up from about 7.5 I think it is) so if they raise to 50p you need them to be having 4 quid minimum and obviously you having this amount as well. Ideally more I would say as they might not have a hand you can get 3 streets of value of (eg- if  they have A9 etc and you have pocket pair.). Ideally when I am calling 5x raises PF I am hoping they have Aces or Kings because if I hit I am getting everything. As more people call preflop your implied odds get better and the potential pot you can win gets bigger ps- unlucky with the trip Queens hand earlier. If you want to put that on here I can talk through my thinking on the other side but its probs a bit obvious
    Posted by ballboy
    Thanks for that.

I have already posted the Queens hand. I've no queries about the way you played it. You were clearly chasing a open-ended stright draw and just trying to get more money in the pot in case you hit. As I mentioned in the other post, I was basically trapping as the board looked safe and your straight was well hidden.