You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What now?

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Scratching me head here....
ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
julied764 Small blind  10.00 10.00 4000.00
davelufc Big blind  20.00 30.00 2160.00
  Your hole cards

lee100 Fold     
kaola Fold     
cheeseman1 Fold     
julied764 Raise  40.00 70.00 3960.00
davelufc Call  30.00 100.00 2130.00
Flop

julied764 Bet  80.00 180.00 3880.00
davelufc Raise  240.00 420.00 1890.00
julied764 Raise  420.00 840.00 3460.00
davelufc ????    

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Shove, be happy, have him flip pocket 7s, he rivers a 4 :/

Happened to me earlier anyway : (
  • edited February 2012
    She maybe has something like a pair of 9s the way she has played it.

If she has raised you and conveniently flopped a straight you have to pay it off here IMO. You can't fold 2 pair here.

You are beaten by

7-4 Unlikely hand
    2-4 unlikely hand
    6-6
    5-5
    3-3

2 of those hands involve the case cards. The first two are just unlikely but possible.

Maybe 5bet to 800 and snap call if she shoves. I'd be amazed if you were losing here
  • edited February 2012

The straightforward option is to bang the lot in now. You're way ahead of her range and it saves you the trouble of worrying what to do on the turn or river...

The issue with that is that by making this 4-bet shove, or the raise to 800, you'll scare off her bluffing range and alot of the over-pairs too. People do tend to overvalue the over-pair, especially AA or KK, but in this situation alot of experienced players will get away from them.

I think I favour the call. It looks like you might be drawing and gives your opponent the chance to fire out on the turn and continue a bluff. There are a few scare cards that could come but there are more cards like an Ace, King or Queen that your opponent could hit or can try to represent. It's definitely a tough decision. 77 might call an all-in on the flop but might not get it in after an overcard comes on the turn...

On balance I call and hope to get more value that way. If you don't want to see a turn, that's understandable so a shove isn't bad. If your opponent calls and shows a set, as the others have already said, you're meant to go broke anyway. Any reads on your opponent that might help us? Does she seem experienced?

• edited February 2012
    shove. Call looks really strong as well and there are a good amount of possible action killers on turn

Borin, no experienced player is 3b/f an overpair on the flop and if we call I doubt many players continue bluffing the turn
  • edited February 2012
    im all in everytime here if he has a set or a str8 nh move on 
  • edited February 2012
    @ PokerFail.

How close were you!!!! well done , lol.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    julied764 Small blind  10.00 10.00 4000.00
    davelufc Big blind  20.00 30.00 2160.00
      Your hole cards

lee100 Fold     
    kaola Fold     
    cheeseman1 Fold     
    julied764 Raise  40.00 70.00 3960.00
    davelufc Call  30.00 100.00 2130.00
    Flop

julied764 Bet  80.00 180.00 3880.00
    davelufc Raise  240.00 420.00 1890.00
    julied764 Raise  420.00 840.00 3460.00
    davelufc All-in  1890.00 2730.00 0.00
    julied764 Call  1630.00 4360.00 1830.00
    julied764 Show

davelufc Show

Turn

River

julied764 Win Straight to the 7 4360.00  6190.00
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: What now?:
    shove. Call looks really strong as well and there are a good amount of possible action killers on turn Borin, no experienced player is 3b/f an overpair on the flop and if we call I doubt many players continue bluffing the turn
    Posted by grantorino
    I tend to think that when alot of experienced players are making the 3-bet to 420 against a stack of 2100, they can get away from an overpair. They would have to ask what they want to see when they call a shove... but it seems we weren't up against tht type of player. Fair enough.

As for action killers: 2's, 3's, 4's and 7's aren't good for us on the turn, but there are far more cards - 9's and above - that are good. Shoving here loses value from all the AK, AQ, AJ type, bluffing hands. Here we get the call, but I do think against better players we lose our value.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: What now? : I tend to think that when alot of experienced players are making the 3-bet to 420 against a stack of 2100, they can get away from an overpair. They would have to ask what they want to see when they call a shove... but it seems we weren't up against tht type of player. Fair enough. As for action killers: 2's, 3's, 4's and 7's aren't good for us on the turn, but there are far more cards - 9's and above - that are good. Shoving here loses value from all the AK, AQ, AJ type, bluffing hands. Here we get the call, but I do think against better players we lose our value.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Why would a good player 3b/f any value hand here? If they are not happy to call a shove, they wont 3bet unless they have cast iron reads. If they are bluffing its doubtful they continue if we flat flop

The high cards should be good for us, but some of them will be bad for villain and a lot of cards you mention slow villain down if they dont beat us
  • edited February 2012
    Well think about what you're doing here with the 77. You've raised pre-flop, led out on the flop, made a 3-bet and now your opponent is shoving on you. What hands are we beating? The best hands in our opponents range here that we are beating are now K6 and A6. The pre-flop under-pairs that we were ahead of are now either beating us or aren't going to 4-bet shove here. I'd struggle to think that many players are going to make a 4-bet with any hand we beat, especially when we've given them the chance to see the turn pretty cheaply so most drawing hands are gone from our opponents range.

I think I'd 3-bet fold here with 77. The alternative is to call that raise and let a scare card come for my hand. If we let a turn card come how many good cards are there for us? We can't even be sure our set-draw is live. I want to take this hand down now - albeit with a slightly larger 3-bet, perhaps to 500 - and expect to only be shoved on by hands I'm losing to.
  • edited February 2012
    Well think about what you're doing here with the 77. You've raised pre-flop, led out on the flop, made a 3-bet and now your opponent is shoving on you. What hands are we beating? The best hands in our opponents range here that we are beating are now K6 and A6. The pre-flop under-pairs that we were ahead of are now either beating us or aren't going to 4-bet shove here. I'd struggle to think that many players are going to make a 4-bet with any hand we beat, especially when we've given them the chance to see the turn pretty cheaply so most drawing hands are gone from our opponents range. I think I'd 3-bet fold here with 77. The alternative is to call that raise and let a scare card come for my hand. If we let a turn card come how many good cards are there for us? We can't even be sure our set-draw is live. I want to take this hand down now - albeit with a slightly larger 3-bet, perhaps to 500 - and expect to only be shoved on by hands I'm losing to.
    Posted by BorinLoner

77 is prob the worst value hand villain ever shows up with and I would prob just fold it to a raise from an unknown oop readless with 77 here. 3b/f it is pretty close to bluffing imo as I doubt we would be flatted by worse often, bluffing might be ok though.

Also if we 3bet to 500 then we are going to be getting pretty good odds on the call, although fold would prob be better at that stage. But I doubt anything better than 99 or pair +oesd hands ever fold and like I said I dont think bluffs continue often
  • edited February 2012
    I can't speak for every player, but I think I'd fold pocket-pairs up to JJ. QQ and better could dismiss the play as a pocket-pair lower than theirs, but most of the time I'd fold those too. I'd probably be unable, like most players, to get away from AA or KK but when we think about it I think we can demonstrate that any one-pair hand is likely to be beaten. We're not getting good odds to call if we think we have just two outs for the set or looking for the board to pair to beat the lower two-pair hands.

On a 356 flop, I don't think a call of the 3-bet looks like a big made-hand. I think it looks like a draw and that's how it would be viewed by most players - If the board was AKK, that might be different. When a Ten or Jack or some other over-card comes on the turn I think alot of players will continue betting, since those cards don't fill any straight-draws. If I was in that position I always fire at the turn since, when we check, all those missed straight-draws are given a free card. In this sense, by calling the 3-bet on the flop we could convince the 77 that we're drawing and they could well continue on the turn, seeing it as both a value-bet and a bet to protect their hand.

I suppose that saying they continue the bluff suggests they think they can blow us off a stronger hand. More likely the call makes our opponent more confident that their hand is ahead, not less. So it's my mistake to say they'd continue a bluff but I think players will almost always continue on the turn, nonetheless.

Correction: They wouldn't be continuing on the turn with 77 as a bluff, but could continue on the turn with AK and others as a bluff. So we give them the chance to continue betting on the turn with their entire range.