You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Correct fold, readless NL10?

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
badtoad Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £17.66
banana10 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.27
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

Pysterman Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £9.35
wiganway Fold     
maruff Fold     
badtoad Call  £0.25 £0.70 £17.41
banana10 Call  £0.20 £0.90 £10.07
Flop

• A
  • J

badtoad Check     
banana10 Check     
Pysterman Bet  £0.70 £1.60 £8.65
badtoad Fold     
banana10 Raise  £1.40 £3.00 £8.67
Pysterman Call  £0.70 £3.70 £7.95
Turn

banana10 Bet  £2.78 £6.48 £5.89
Pysterman Fold
I figured that 1 pair was not enough to keep committing money to this.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    if u called the raise y then fold on the turn the turn is a blank u got to think ahead i would probably call the turn bet
  • edited February 2012
    Too passive

raise more pre

get it in on flop or turn
  • edited February 2012
    With this hand a lot of it is down to knowing your players.

I don't know the guy in the hand, but it really does help to use the notes tabs so you have information on him for future reference. Also put the date that you made this note as people can change the way they play; they may have been on tilt or losing at the time and playing bad etc.

He could check raise with something like 7-8 of hearts with a pair and flush draw flipping pretty much with your hand. I think this is unlikely as they would do more than min raise. They would want to get a lot of their money in on the flop whilst their equity is very high.

He may do this with something like AQ or at worst for you two pair. Its possible he has AJ here- a lot of people prefer to call a raise and see and evaluate with a flop than 3-bet and risk getting blown away by hands like JJ QQ KK etc that are virtually always 4betting and forcing him to fold. If he calls he can get lucky by hitting an Ace although he often won't know where he is.

When he min raises you can perceive this as a number of different things. I think it shows ridiculous strength or its a weak attempt at a bluff with some draws possibly to the flush or he might have a second pair he is trying to find out his position in the hand with. Its also possible he might know you have hit the ace, but he thinks his hand is better than yours.

When the turn comes an 8 only the back door draws got there. The tricky thing if for whatever reason he had it, you are already dead and you are putting anymore money you have into a black hole. He bets 3/4s of the pot. When you called the flop as the guy above said, you really had to have a plan for the turn. He was never going to just give you a free card and further damage was likely to ensue.

In my view I'd like to get my information on the flop and work out whether he is ahead of me or he has a drawing hand that may catch up. It might seem expensive but you could probably 4bet the flop and right there get your answer. If you made it say £3 so he has to call £1.60 more with the pot at £5.30. With most of the things you are still beating he may just call or even fold if he has like an ace rag or even something like A9 etc. If he has two pair or a set he is 5bet shoving and we have £6.35 left. He is going to be shoving £7.10 in roughly and the pot is going to be £11.65 (with about 75p going back to him in change) putting you all in.

£6.35 to win £11.65. There isn't much to say about it. You don't have a draw to think about, but if you think he has two pair or a set you aren't getting the right odds to call and hope you crack it.

For me the worst option is probably to call. Its only a min raise, but you kind of need a plan and if you are only calling any turn bet if a King comes or an ace (which might even make him a house) comes, then you are really calling 70p with a view to check folding most of the time

The way I put on there is a bit unorthodox perhaps and there will hopefully be others who suggest better ways but that way its highly unlikely you are bluffed here if that is part of your concern. So much of your decisions also depends I think on your bankroll. There are some spots that are going to cost you a lot of money and this looks like one of them. If you got it all in and run into 2 pair or trips you haven't done bad here. If you are playing well within your bankroll you can take these swings and when you lose, dust yourself off and move on.
  • edited February 2012
    I don't mind ballboy's suggestion of re-popping him on the flop. As it is, I don't mind the call there either. The thing about calling this min-raise is that we're significantly under-reping our hand. When we make the call, it doesn't look as strong as AK to our opponent and this gives them encouragement to lead out on the turn with a pretty wide range, alot of which we're beating.

So if you call, you should be confident that you'll face a bet on the turn. That's a good way to extract value from this player, especially in position. We can make the call on the turn and be happy that he might well fire out on the river too, or we can shove the turn over the top. When you call the flop you have to be calling for value, confident that our hand is likely to be best most of the time.

I don't like calling the flop bet, then folding the turn for this reason. The turn is a predictable bet and not unusually large at about 70% of the pot. You might be behind but your opponent's range contains more hands that we beat than hands that beat us. Remember his bet doesn't look so strong when you consider that, from his perspective, your call on the flop looks like weakness.
  • edited February 2012
    i see ballboy and borin loner post alot and intresting threads what do you play on the site ?
  • edited February 2012
    I play at 10nl although I am planning on moving up to 20nl soon as I have the bankroll, although I am slightly worried I will find the step up a bit tough at first and its a lot of money when you lose a few buyins. I am doing reasonable at 10nl and making a fair amount of money although it doesn't come regularly obviously. I am still in university but I am not in need of the money to spend being in my bank account so it just stays in my sky account. I appreciate the money I play with although I try and play to get the job done (which can cost money at times). I am obviously not the happiest person in the world when I lose it, although I strictly just tend to think of it as BI (number of buyins) when I am playing and this helps me play irrespective of the fear factor playing at what some people (other students etc) may consider scary money (I play 4/5 tables at a time, so it can be expensive on a bad day).
  • edited February 2012
    cool i play 10 nl mainly sometimes 20 nl aswell been playing for 11 years all 2getha since i left school 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Correct fold, readless NL10?:
    cool i play 10 nl mainly sometimes 20 nl aswell been playing for 11 years all 2getha since i left school 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    think I have played poker properly for about 2 years.

I joined on sky poker about a year ago with about a tenner at nl4 and progressed from there
  • edited February 2012
    Definitely dont 3b/f flop, if you 3bet get it in

Call flop, fold that turn is usually a bad line readless. I dont hate it as much as usual in this case as his raise gives you odds of 4/1, then his turn bet is quite large. I dont mind your line as I dont think you can fold flop with tptk to a min raise. Its pretty villain dependent though and I would get it in on flop or turn v some villains