You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Awkward pre flop spot with QQ in Primo

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Sat in top 20-ish of Primo and going well.
Villain 2 had been relatively active and Villain 3 had been calling quite a lot. Even so, this flat of the 3 bet had me most worried particularly as my image is probably quite tight and I've had the goods in virtually all pots I've shown down. I pretty much discounted Villain 1 who called my initial bet.
Interested in any thoughts on my next move.

johnyp8603 Small blind  50.00 50.00 10692.50
Villain 3 Big blind  100.00 150.00 5985.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

JackoG9 Raise  300.00 450.00 9157.50
Villain 1 Call  300.00 750.00 5862.50
luckylinda Fold     
Villain 2 Raise  1100.00 1850.00 5426.00
johnyp8603 Fold     
Villain 3 Call  1000.00 2850.00 4985.00
JackoG9 ??

Comments

• ybyb
    edited February 2012
    i don't think its awkward at all tbh, easy shove imo
  • edited February 2012
    Pretty disgusting spot. No reads at all on V3 cold-call range? I dont think its a shove, you are shoving effectively 60bb four ways and only getting called by AK, QQ+ (I would think, noone should be really stacking off with JJ when you shove). 

You are calling 800 into 2550, or 3350 if V3 calls again. I would probably advocate a flat, and stacking off vs V3 and V1 and folding vs V2 if he continues w/ strength. (i.e. stack off on low texture flops vs V1/V3, if V2 continues big then puke and fold...?)

Deffo don't like shoving pre though
  • edited February 2012

Flat, play poker

Your either way ahead or way behind, 4 betting achieves little – if vil 1 flats again then that would be annoying especially if they spike a set

Going to be facing c bet on flop so……

Good luck, tough spot

• edited February 2012
    im never calling here its shove or fold im leaning towards a shove the but can understand a fold in this spot 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Awkward pre flop spot with QQ in Primo:
    Pretty disgusting spot. No reads at all on V3 cold-call range? I dont think its a shove, you are shoving effectively 60bb four ways and only getting called by AK, QQ+ (I would think, noone should be really stacking off with JJ when you shove).  You are calling 800 into 2550, or 3350 if V3 calls again. I would probably advocate a flat, and stacking off vs V3 and V1 and folding vs V2 if he continues w/ strength. (i.e. stack off on low texture flops vs V1/V3, if V2 continues big then puke and fold...?) Deffo don't like shoving pre though
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    Does V2 really fold hands like JJ after 3betting op ip, esp if he has been 3betting a lot?

I think I prob shove even though our equity when called wont be great, flatting is going to make life pretty difficult postflop, esp if we are folding to a cbet. Also coxy in line you suggest what do we do if v3 leads a low board? Interesting spot though
  • ybyb
    edited February 2012
    Pretty disgusting spot. No reads at all on V3 cold-call range? I dont think its a shove, you are shoving effectively 60bb four ways and only getting called by AK, QQ+ (I would think, noone should be really stacking off with JJ when you shove).  You are calling 800 into 2550, or 3350 if V3 calls again. I would probably advocate a flat, and stacking off vs V3 and V1 and folding vs V2 if he continues w/ strength. (i.e. stack off on low texture flops vs V1/V3, if V2 continues big then puke and fold...?) Deffo don't like shoving pre though
    Posted by CoxyLboro
    here's my thoughts fwiw, though i don't play tournies much:

i think you're giving people too much credit, people stack off with much much worse than AK, QQ+ 60bbs deep in the ME on sky (even if they probably shouldn't). Considering that by the OP's admission the button has been pretty active, his 3betting range from the button isn't that narrow imo. I don't think a fairly aggressive player is going to be 3/bet folding stuff like JJ/TT, so I don't think we're getting called by a tight a range as you think.

But taking your calling range as an example, here is our equity againt AK, QQ+:

equity     win     tie           pots won     pots tied   
    Hand 0:     40.207%      38.35%     01.86%          114253440       5540034.00   { QQ }
    Hand 1:     59.793%      57.93%     01.86%          172607388       5540034.00   { QQ+, AKs, AKo }

Assuming for a second that we can treat the money from the other villains as dead (which i don't think is unreasonable giving the reads on villain 3) then we need ~42% equity by my calculations, and we nearly have that when called by that range. Adding to the fact that his 3betting range will be at least slightly wider than his calling range, it definitely makes shoving +chip ev imo.

+chip ev doesn't necessarily mean that it's the correct move in a tournament, but when you consider that the prize structures in these tournies are so top heavy i'm shoving all day long.

• edited February 2012
    Nice post YB. It all comes down to the standard of players in the tournament as well, if this was a £100 roller then flatting/folding would definitely be more standard than shoving. I guess that with an exceptionally active 3bettor (although I'm not sure if Jacko mentioned he was active 3bettor or just active in general) its can be ok shove and expect to pick up 25.5bb now w/o showdown or get V2 to stack off with an underpair/AK and win the flip for a huge pot (v important in the primo to get a massive stack).

There are definitely some arguements for flatting though, which is that your postflop edge and stack size allow for plenty more play, rather than potentially flipping coins for 120bb+.
  • edited February 2012
    Fwiw if OP posts the results of the hand where he shoves and is snapped off by AA, I promise not to say 'I told you so' I'm advocating my position without knowing if he got coolered or not ;)
  • edited February 2012

Thanks for the replies all, very interesting. This was my reasoning behind shoving - again, all comments are welcome.

V2 had been active, particularly in position, and I figured the 3 bet was likely to be a squeeze, given V1's call.

V3's cold call of the 3 bet was more of a worry. I've seen this player mentioned on 865 and known as a decent MTT player so capable of flatting here to induce a shove behind, but came to the conclusion there was enough in the middle already for AA / KK to shove. Was pretty shocked at what was turned over.

Coxy - thanks for the BRM pointers. I'm looking to grind up from similar levels (my graph doesn't look quite the same as yours though) so a cash here would've done absolute wonders to the roll, particularly as I satellited in for £2.60.

johnyp8603 Small blind  50.00 50.00 10692.50 Villain 3 Big blind  100.00 150.00 5985.00   Your hole cards Q Q       JackoG9 Raise  300.00 450.00 9157.50 Villain 1 Call  300.00 750.00 5862.50 luckylinda Fold     Villain 2 Raise  1100.00 1850.00 5426.00 johnyp8603 Fold     Villain 3 Call  1000.00 2850.00 4985.00 JackoG9 All-in  9157.50 12007.50 0.00 Villain 1 Fold     Villain 2 Fold     Villain 3 All-in  4985.00 16992.50 0.00 JackoG9 Unmatched bet  3372.50 13620.00 3372.50 Villain 3 Show 10 10    JackoG9 Show Q Q    Flop    6 J 2       Turn    10       River    8       Villain 3 Win Three 10s 13620.00  13620.00

• edited February 2012

Horrible spot but if you think btn is squeezing are we not better off getting value by flatting oop – 4 bet will fold out btn’s range

Problem is the other two players init, don’t hate the shove but hey…you got a call from 10’s, so your shove just smells of AK

UL though

• edited February 2012
    i think the shove is fine when villain 2 raises and villain 3 just flats im thinking villain 3 hasnt got much so the all in is fine worried about what villain 2 has i wouldnt be to worried about villain 3 as he just called the reraise i think its pretty standard tbh with ya just ul 
  • edited February 2012
      Horrible spot but if you think btn is squeezing are we not better off getting value by flatting oop – 4 bet will fold out btn’s range   Problem is the other two players init, don’t hate the shove but hey…you got a call from 10’s, so your shove just smells of AK   UL though
    Posted by rancid
    This is it - by flatting, I'm taking QQ three, possibly four, ways which is going to leave me in an even tougher spot post flop.

On this, I'm often confused wonder where you draw the line between keeping in hands that you're likely beating and betting to shut the hand down / narrow the field when it's multi-way. E.g. If I've got AA here, do I flat?
  • edited February 2012

In Response to Re: Awkward pre flop spot with QQ in Primo : This is it - by flatting, I'm taking QQ three, possibly four, ways which is going to leave me in an even tougher spot post flop. On this, I'm often confused wonder where you draw the line between keeping in hands that you're likely beating and betting to shut the hand down / narrow the field when it's multi-way. E.g. If I've got AA here, do I flat?
    Posted by JackoG9

If btn is 3 betting/opening a lot and you then have a flat behind – I think you played it fine and picking up a 28bb pot can never be bad if all fold –

w/AA any 4 bet commits oppo so probably shove

Hu you can flat, being multi way I think you gotta 4 bet

• edited February 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post,

If you would like us to analyse your hand on the poker clinic on our live TV show please do let us know which tournament/cash table the hand is from and also your hand ID.

Poker Clinic is every Thursday at 8pm.

All the best

Sky Poker TV Team.

• edited February 2012
    Hi, Thank you for your post, If you would like us to analyse your hand on the poker clinic on our live TV show please do let us know which tournament/cash table the hand is from and also your hand ID. Poker Clinic is every Thursday at 8pm.   All the best Sky Poker TV Team.
    Posted by SkyPokerTV
    Hand ID 477962843 from Sunday's Primo.