You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A scottish appeal

edited February 2012 in The Football Corner
Today Scotland's most sucsessful club filed for Administration. For just £10 per person this once great club could once again survive dept free. Please give generously.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    This been on the agenda for ages 75 million JUST on tax n vat plus 311 million debt on debts owed etc,They will not be allowed in europe because of this but i think its bad times ahead unless they get new buyers very very soon.

Fingers x 4 ya don.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal:
    This been on the agenda for ages 75 million JUST on tax n vat plus 311 million debt on debts owed etc,They will not be allowed in europe because of this but i think its bad times ahead unless they get new buyers very very soon. Fingers x 4 ya don.
    Posted by cleaverjim
    we had several interested parties before whyte took over but the bank forced the sale of the club to him, A banned director because of wierd things he done involving administration. I suspect its to late to do anything do.
  • edited February 2012
    This, by absolutely no stretch of the imagination, is a Scottish appeal.
  • edited February 2012
    This, by absolutely no stretch of the imagination, is a Scottish appeal.
    Posted by bandini
    we provide 50% of all scottish football income, the other half comming in from the otherside of glasgow. We are also one of Scotlands largest exports. If Scotland wants independance, Scotland needs Rangers and Celtic to be sdtrong and dept free
  • edited February 2012
    i'd rather keep my 10 quid for jelly and ice cream if it's alright with you
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to A scottish appeal:
    Today Scotland's most sucsessful club filed for Administration. For just £10 per person this once great club could once again survive dept free. Please give generously.
    Posted by The_Don90
    yeah, but only by buying success, not just on the pitch where you clearly could'nt afford it, buying refs for all those years an all. don't ever forget that ;

54 - HMRC = 0
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to A scottish appeal : yeah, but only by buying success, not just on the pitch where you clearly could'nt afford it, buying refs for all those years an all. don't ever forget that ;                  54 - HMRC = 0
    Posted by BELL_POKER
    we where sucsessful pre David Murray (well pre 1980) for 100 years. Without the money that Murray brought.

Buying refs, i suspect you need to assess the Celtic goal line.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : we provide 50% of all scottish football income, the other half comming in from the otherside of glasgow. We are also one of Scotlands largest exports. If Scotland wants independance, Scotland needs Rangers and Celtic to be sdtrong and dept free
    Posted by The_Don90
    Gee, thanks.

Meaning 0% of the income comes from any other teams? Strange, I've had to pay into most games I've been to that involve neither.

I'll grant you both sides of a very ugly coin provide a high percentage of the income. Mainly due to gloryhunters from the length and breadth of the country that have no affinity with Glasgow supporting them. Thus allowing them, due to their financial superiority, to rpe and pillage Scottish Football for more than a century. And then complain about lack of competition.

Nothing personal Don but I hope the ramifications forra peepul are severe. I'd be surprised if any neutral didn't. They won't die though. Celtic and The SFA (weegie mafia) couldn't afford for them to. 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : we where sucsessful pre David Murray (well pre 1980) for 100 years. Without the money that Murray brought. Buying refs, i suspect you need to assess the Celtic goal line.
    Posted by The_Don90[/QUOT

the money that murray 'brought' - well thats the issue at hand isnt it because quite clearly he didnt have it in the first place. and where's your european cup? jelly and ice cream when rangers die, jelly and ice cream when ranger die  :)   good luck with your collection and on your way out, please mind the gap
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : Gee, thanks. Meaning 0% of the income comes from any other teams? Strange, I've had to pay into most games I've been to that involve neither. I'll grant you both sides of a very ugly coin provide a high percentage of the income. Mainly due to gloryhunters from the length and breadth of the country that have no affinity with Glasgow supporting them. Thus allowing them, due to their financial superiority, to rpe and pillage Scottish Football for more than a century. And then complain about lack of competition. Nothing personal Don but I hope the ramifications forra peepul are severe. I'd be surprised if any neutral didn't. They won't die though. Celtic and The SFA (weegie mafia) couldn't afford for them to.
    Posted by bandini
    Bandini nothing was meant to discredit other Scottish clubs with that statement. What i mean is without old firm games Sky/ESPN would likley half if not reduce further what theyd be willing to pay for SPL tv coverage rights. Lets face it again without old firm games top players that hav played in Scotland probably wouldnt have. Again no disrespect to smaller clubs. If Rangers g bust Celtic wont can bring in these bigger name players, nor would they need to. The Scottish game in Europe would be massively effected. Yes Scotland might be a more "competitive" league with itself. But the money comes into Scotland via Europe and i dont see any side strong enough to make the leap into the European game and grab it by the scruff of the neck. Motherwell are a good looking side with some top quality young players and are developing to but their not ready yet, and can they keep ahold of the talent is another issue.

If this happened 2 years ago i could have seen Dundee United going from strenth to strenth but again they lost a large chuck of a very good squad, when Goodwillie, Conway, Bauben and Gomis left. Hearts wont be far behind Rangers either. Taking 2 of the top 4 clubs out of Scotland could be disasterous for the game.

In Response to Re: A scottish appeal :
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : we where sucsessful pre David Murray (well pre 1980) for 100 years. Without the money that Murray brought. Buying refs, i suspect you need to assess the Celtic goal line. Posted by The_Don90[/QUOT the money that murray 'brought' - well thats the issue at hand isnt it because quite clearly he didnt have it in the first place. and where's your european cup? jelly and ice cream when rangers die, jelly and ice cream when ranger die  :)   good luck with your collection and on your way out, please mind the gap
    Posted by BELL_POKER
    Umm theres a Frankie Boyle joke going around at the moment, i wont repeat it but i will recommend you google it. It might be a little in-approprate tbh. But questions your teams choice of party dish.

The Murray millions was good within the 90;s when we done it ok, it was the Advocaat era that reamins the issue when the club when on a massive spending spree for European glory. Which to be fair we did under-achieve, and well £12 million for Flo was a bit of a joke. We then had the "Tax Evasion scheme" which is why we're in the trouble we're in now.

However i do think the current situation with Rangers has to be a warning to any side who want to buy sucsess. Imagine if Abramovich or the City owners sell up at the end of the season. Both clubs would struggle financially and would be in a similar situation. I dont want to sound harsh, but this is why i will always be against teams who try to buy sucsess. Theres a differance between good constructive investment and over-doing it chasing an instant turnaround. I will also state that i think teams like Celtic have done this correct. Spurs aswell to name a non-scottish side.
  • edited February 2012
    tbh i didnt even know the SPL was still going. :P

English League 2 is miles better :)

• edited February 2012
    First of all, it's nowt personal Don, I consider you a cyber mate. And I wouldn't dream about falling out with anyone due to a football team they support. Well, not since I grew up ;-)

But. And it's a big but. I'm going to have to disagree.

In fact I'm too drunk to do this argumrnt justice. Wow.

But you're so wrong. The hate-filled bigot brothers have brought Scottish football to it's knees. In fact football is utterly horrible. I used to be found running up and down a snow flled village pitch pretending I was Bryan Robson. Mock that if you will but he was a sporting hero. Now we have bling filled pimps. Now we have rascists. Now we have idiots making more in a week than PEG1 can make in a lucky day. (lol, I like that line.) Now we dodge tax. Now money means everything. Football is pure mammonism, it disgusts me.

Even poker's purer than football.

I'm well drunk. Have forgotten where I was going with this post. But I'm sure it was pure of heart when it started.

lol.
  • edited February 2012
    First of all, it's nowt personal Don, I consider you a cyber mate. And I wouldn't dream about falling out with anyone due to a football team they support. Well, not since I grew up ;-) But. And it's a big but. I'm going to have to disagree. In fact I'm too drunk to do this argumrnt justice. Wow. But you're so wrong. The hate-filled bigot brothers have brought Scottish football to it's knees. In fact football is utterly horrible. I used to be found running up and down a snow flled village pitch pretending I was Bryan Robson. Mock that if you will but he was a sporting hero. Now we have bling filled pimps. Now we have rascists. Now we have idiots making more in a week than PEG1 can make in a lucky day. (lol, I like that line.) Now we dodge tax. Now money means everything. Football is pure mammonism, it disgusts me. Even poker's purer than football. I'm well drunk. Have forgotten where I was going with this post. But I'm sure it was pure of heart when it started. lol.
    Posted by bandini
    you may be well waxed but beautifully put.
    the whole of football nowadays is about a bunch of chancers and parasites looking to make a fast buck of the back of clubs and players.
    theres a qoute from keith hill the barnsley manager on the pompey page of the sky sports website saying he has no sympathy for pompey because weve cheated by spending money we havent go to buy players we cant afford,which unfortunatly is 100% correct for us,rangers and about 70% of clubs in this country
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to A scottish appeal:
    Posted by The_Don90
    LOL at this.
    One word describes whats happening to them..
    JUSTICE.....
    Thats what happens when you put down a tenner
    to every celtic fiver that you dont have:-)
    Carlsberg don't do weeks in football,but if they did......
  • edited February 2012
    First of all, it's nowt personal Don, I consider you a cyber mate. And I wouldn't dream about falling out with anyone due to a football team they support. Well, not since I grew up ;-) But. And it's a big but. I'm going to have to disagree. In fact I'm too drunk to do this argumrnt justice. Wow. But you're so wrong. The hate-filled bigot brothers have brought Scottish football to it's knees. In fact football is utterly horrible. I used to be found running up and down a snow flled village pitch pretending I was Bryan Robson. Mock that if you will but he was a sporting hero. Now we have bling filled pimps. Now we have rascists. Now we have idiots making more in a week than PEG1 can make in a lucky day. (lol, I like that line.) Now we dodge tax. Now money means everything. Football is pure mammonism, it disgusts me. Even poker's purer than football. I'm well drunk. Have forgotten where I was going with this post. But I'm sure it was pure of heart when it started. lol.
    Posted by bandini
    Im not sure ur arguement here tbh Bandini.

Being honest ill reply to what i think your point is. I dislike teams who buy sucsess. Ive never liked it and i never will. However i was born and Rangers fan, and ill die a Rangers fan.

What my point was, not wanting to be disrespectful to smaller clubs in Scotland.

A number of SPL clubs are heavily in dept. This inludes Hearts, Dundee United, Aberdeen, Killie, Motherwell, Hibs, Dunfermline, St. Mirren. Infact every club in the SPL. This isnt just a Scottish problem. Manchester United's dept isnt exactly sestainable by any means either. However in Scotland Sky and ESPN's contract with the SPL states both half of the old firm have to be in the SPL.

So say in theory Rangers go bust. That contract is then breeched. Sky and ESPN pull out of their deal and est 1mil a year per club is lost. Put on top of that, that Rangers play 2 away games on average every season against each club with an increased traveling support we'll call that est 300k a year per club. (about 150k per away game) That would also be lost. Plus some sponsorship deals state that TV rights have to be in place. So those deals are lost. Others state that they must be in the top 6 split for a bonus as they play the old firm an extra 2 games that season, that bonus would be lost. So ive already accounted for potential of a 2m loss per season for a number of SPL clubs. 

This would be made worse if Sky/ESPN/Sponsors then decided to sue the SPL for breech of contract. This all piles on. A number of these clubs would follow Rangers into the history books. Hearts are already on the verge of administration themselves. Imagine if they lost 2m every year. Even the best administrators in the world would struggle to right what i believe is around £30m i dept. 

This would be good for the lower scottish clubs i admit. The likes of Hamilton, Ross County and Ayr to name a few would probably get a free promotion due to SPL clubs not being around any more. But then Celtic would be competing on a lower level without the same amount of income and therefore players that would currently sign for them wont. They would then be ill prepared for Europe. 

IMO and i may be wrong but the SPL would plunge into even darker days. Scottish football would be at the same level as the much lower leagues in the European game. 

Now again i will state i believe we did over do it chasing a European dream that was never going to work with what we had. But i think that has to be a big warning for the current "sugar daddy" clubs. 

Imagine if Man Citys owners sold up tomorrow. Thy would be in a much worse situation than us. 

However I know wrongs have been done. And i know they probably will happen again within European and even Scottish football. However i think we need to look logically here. Scottish football will be plagued into the dark ages without both sides of the old firm. Now if we do go bust and get bought over we could always go back into the third division, just as Livingston did. However that would still be a minimum of 4 years without the tv rights, old firm games (big income games) and potentially lower income for most Scottish clubs. 

I know this sounds harsh to some clubs witch have budgeted pretty much perfectly, and there are some in the SPL who are running at about break even/small profits. And i know they would also struggle without this increased income. And it is punnishing them without any real need. However i do feel sorry for them. Mis-management by 2 spererate Rangers chirmans really havent helped. 

David Murray did spend too much. But then again maybe he didnt spend enough. Look how much a team at the top of Europe would cost now. Then look at what we spent, about 10% of that fee. Again £12m for Flo was just crazy. And during the 90's when Celtic wherent exactly spending a lot of money to say we'll spend a tenner for every fiver they spent was crazy. I dont think we needed to spend money on some players during that time. Infact i believe we spent £5mil on a player who played a total of 2 games. Thats crazy. 

So on the whole i do believe we where mismaneged. However i also believe tht we need to be realistic in what we all expect if Rangers go broke.  
  • edited February 2012
    There can be no argument for letting Rangers off light here. They've made mistakes, they'll have to take their medicine in the same way as the likes of Leeds, Portsmouth and the top Italian clubs in recent years.

If they've been able to stay at the top of the pile by not fulfilling their financial responsibitlies then other clubs have suffered from this and could have been bringing in more income themselves through more high profile games and European competitions.

I can't see Rangers as a club being shut down unless there really is no altenative, but I think you should be looking at Celtic who are back where they are after their going into administration rather than arguing that Rangers should be a special case. With the fan base Rangers have they'll find their way back.

As for Man City, yes they would be in a huge hole with their wage bill if the current owners were to pack up and leave. If City were in this position with someone like Siniwatra at the top I'd be massively worried, but the way the infrastructure as well as the team is being improved is encouraging. I've followed City for 35 years, admittedly from a distance so I'm very used to seeing the dark lining to any silver cloud, but I think the new owners are in for the long haul.
  • edited February 2012
    Have I mis-read the title ?
  • edited February 2012
    There can be no argument for letting Rangers off light here. They've made mistakes, they'll have to take their medicine in the same way as the likes of Leeds, Portsmouth and the top Italian clubs in recent years. If they've been able to stay at the top of the pile by not fulfilling their financial responsibitlies then other clubs have suffered from this and could have been bringing in more income themselves through more high profile games and European competitions. I can't see Rangers as a club being shut down unless there really is no altenative, but I think you should be looking at Celtic who are back where they are after their going into administration rather than arguing that Rangers should be a special case. With the fan base Rangers have they'll find their way back. As for Man City, yes they would be in a huge hole with their wage bill if the current owners were to pack up and leave. If City were in this position with someone like Siniwatra at the top I'd be massively worried, but the way the infrastructure as well as the team is being improved is encouraging. I've followed City for 35 years, admittedly from a distance so I'm very used to seeing the dark lining to any silver cloud, but I think the new owners are in for the long haul.
    Posted by harding10
    Erm.....this never happened!!!!
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : Erm.....this never happened!!!!
    Posted by igimc
    Sorry, my bad. Picked that up off of a couple of facebook comments and didn't check it out properly. It was suggested that Celtic had gone into administration in 1986.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : Erm.....this never happened!!!!
    Posted by igimc
    1994?

Also fwiw, i agree we should be punnished for our mistakes. However i suspect that that theres more to it than what the press are giving out. Im not actually making this appeal for Rangers, but for the Scottish game in general. A game that has been on the decline already. One that could use a lift more than anoher knock back.

My use of Man City was completely an example of other clubs that potentially face similar problems. I agree building infrastructure can help. But lets remember Rangers also done this during the Murray era.
  • edited February 2012
    i'd rather keep my 10 quid for jelly and ice cream if it's alright with you
    Posted by BELL_POKER
    There's always one isn't there! Before you go celebrating think about what losing rangers would mean to the hoops. SPL hardly gets any revenue for viewing rights as it is, in a 2 horse race. How much money will anyone pay when sell-ic are winning doubles and trebles every year. How much of that will supporters put up with before they start doing other things on a saturday.
    sell-ic could always apply to join the EPL; good luck with that. Which of the bottom 6/7 teams will vote in a team which MIGHt take their EPL position from them. Which of the 4th-8th position teams will vote in a team which, in a couple of years, MIGHT take away a european spot from them. Which of the top 3 teams would be interested in playing sell-ic anyway.
    SPl needs a strong old firm, they also need the other teams to be stronger. if its teams that go out of business you want, why dont hibs and hearts ammalgamate and form one big edinburgh team? The same foe dundee and d/utd. Thats the way to better the SPL, not to see one of its 2 giants fold.
    WATP.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : 1994? Also fwiw, i agree we should be punnished for our mistakes. However i suspect that that theres more to it than what the press are giving out. Im not actually making this appeal for Rangers, but for the Scottish game in general. A game that has been on the decline already. One that could use a lift more than anoher knock back. My use of Man City was completely an example of other clubs that potentially face similar problems. I agree building infrastructure can help. But lets remember Rangers also done this during the Murray era.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Celtic didn't go into administration in 1994 Don,or
    any other time for that matter.
    A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing!!!
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : Celtic didn't go into administration in 1994 Don,or any other time for that matter. A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing!!!
    Posted by igimc
    where they just on the brink of it then

i do have an extremely strong footballing knowledge, and i know yous where bailed out. Guessing now that was before you went into administration then??

I also know when you where most at risk your attendence was little over 10,000. and your average attendance for the same year was 24,000
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : where they just on the brink of it then i do have an extremely strong footballing knowledge, and i know yous where bailed out. Guessing now that was before you went into administration then?? I also know when you where most at risk your attendence was little over 10,000. and your average attendance for the same year was 24,000
    Posted by The_Don90
    Don, did you know that in the 80s the average attendances at man utd and arsenal where well below 30,000. I suspect this may be the same time when celtic had the attendances you quoted. Football in those days was blighted by hooliganism and the grounds where death traps. 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : Don, did you know that in the 80s the average attendances at man utd and arsenal where well below 30,000. I suspect this may be the same time when celtic had the attendances you quoted. Football in those days was blighted by hooliganism and the grounds where death traps. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    possibly. although i know Parkhead ddefo wasnt filling out around this time and they did have a massive financial struggle.

Ive googled the issue and would appear they where filing for administration but got bought over before they actually went into it.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : where they just on the brink of it then i do have an extremely strong footballing knowledge, and i know yous where bailed out. Guessing now that was before you went into administration then?? I also know when you where most at risk your attendence was little over 10,000. and your average attendance for the same year was 24,000
    Posted by The_Don90
    Well,like i said they never went into administration.
    I don't know why you're bringing attendances into it
    because it was those supporters who didn't go or went
    and demonstrated outside the ground that forced the
    change in the first place and saved their club.
    But since you brought up attendances i'm sure you'll
    know with your vast knowledge that in the early 80s
    when rangers were pish they had an average attendance
    of 17 and a half thousand including a massive 4 and a half
    thousand in a match against st mirren at ibrox..
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: A scottish appeal : Well,like i said they never went into administration. I don't know why you're bringing attendances into it because it was those supporters who didn't go or went and demonstrated outside the ground that forced the change in the first place and saved their club. But since you brought up attendances i'm sure you'll know with your vast knowledge that in the early 80s when rangers were pish they had an average attendance of 17 and a half thousand including a massive 4 and a half thousand in a match against st mirren at ibrox..
    Posted by igimc
    I have no quarrels with low attendances. In the 80's we where simply dire. I wasnt born to know all the reasons for it but tbh, i fear that without the correct investment now we will plummit into a decade where its going to be similar.

I cringed when i seen the first team for todays game with ICT, although some of the young lads came in and done very well. Little particularly impressed for me. However when your looking at a centre back playing in both your full back posisions you need to question squad depth. When one of them is Kirk Broadfoot, you need to question your signing policy.

However i think we do have a good side if we have every player fit and no suspensions still. But even with a full strenth first 11, id worry about an old firm game as soon as you compare the benches. Even 2 weeks ago in the Dundee United game id much rather have had the Dundee United Bench.

I know think this is the time where Murray Park has to prove whats its worth. I know its made its building costs back with the sales of Alan Hutton, Charlie Adam and Danny Wilson. Alan McGregor also making us some money with fantasic performances when required. However theres only 3 players that a £14 million facility has produced that i think could play at the top level. Compare that to other facitlities of similar nature and its not close to its potential.

Obviously a new crop is comming through now with Ness, Wylde, Perry, McMillian, Fleck and Little all getting the odd game. 
  • edited February 2012
    Since going into administration, Rangers have announced that the coin toss to dedide which team kicks off first at Ibrox will now be replaced by a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors between the two captains.

:o)