You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Another buy-in gone... this is getting silly now.

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Bad beat aside, should I be willing to get my stack in here (readless)?
badcawl Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.57
maybury11 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £12.48
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

SINGA Fold     
manu1977 Call  £0.10 £0.25 £8.75
daz69 Fold     
Thyqwerty9 Raise  £0.20 £0.45 £9.42
mrmart Fold     
Pysterman Raise  £0.80 £1.25 £10.89
badcawl Fold     
maybury11 Fold     
manu1977 Fold     
Thyqwerty9 Call  £0.60 £1.85 £8.82
Flop

• Q

Thyqwerty9 Bet  £1.39 £3.24 £7.43
Pysterman Raise  £4.86 £8.10 £6.03
Thyqwerty9 Raise  £6.94 £15.04 £0.49
Pysterman All-in  £6.03 £21.07 £0.00
Thyqwerty9 All-in  £0.49 £21.56 £0.00
Pysterman Unmatched bet  £2.07 £19.49 £2.07
Thyqwerty9 Show
  • K
  • Q

Pysterman Show
  • A
  • A

Turn

• J

River

Thyqwerty9 Win Straight to the King £18.09  £18.09

Comments

• edited February 2012
    its a very wet flop but i would of done the same get it in on the flop could easily be up against 2 pairs tho 
  • edited February 2012
    this hand is just a cooler, but the way the flop went meant that if his draws came in you were getting stacked because you bet far more than you needed to on the flop. Its important to get these bet sizes right as if you can do it with a min raise for example you don't need to bet anymore than that to do a job. It really is key when your playing tournaments and sit and gos. I find on sky Its easy to lose track when someone already bets on the flop of how much of the pot you are betting, but it would be nice to see a 2/3s pot sized bet by you there . If you ignore his bet and bet 2/3s of 3 quid this would make the pot round about £5.30. This probably won't change that much as he is probably reraising all in but if he just calls and a dangrous card comes down, you might be able to get away from the hand if a scary turn card comes. The hard thing if he had just called a 2/3s pot 3bet you can't put him on many hands that are now beating you with the jack down. He hasn't played it like JQ. There are not really any two pairs he could have Q9 Q8 J9 j8 etc. The likely hands I think that would bet and call a raise and play this way are AQ and KQ. I would also likely think that he may have something like A9 or even JJs here as he has donk bet out into the PF aggressor when most tend to check their top pairs.

If he hadn't whacked all his money in on the flop in a "me have top pair, me throw money in pot" (caveman style) then this turn card would probably scare him. He can't beat a hand like A-10 which you may 3bet him pre-flop or you may even have pocket 10s and got a straight on the turn. He can't beat any of the possible sets on there. He really could only beat a bluff at this point

The river card, well its just fortunate and he probs if he hadn't played in the caveman way would be sticking most of his chips in here with it only being the unlikely holding of AK that beats him in the end.

Very unfortunate there ultimately
  • edited February 2012
    I can't make any critcism of your play here. I think you made a good 3-bet pre-flop and your flop play was fine against your opponent's pre-flop bet-call range. There won't be many Q9 type hands in this range, though 88 and 99 may be. You can't be afraid of sets though, so I think most of the hands we're playing against are either top-pair hands - as here - or hands that are drawing on this board.

So I think to play it in this straight-forward, 3-betting manner on the flop is correct. Charge the drawing hands to get there and get maximum value for the AQ, KQ type hands.
  • edited February 2012
    Apologies: A rainbow flop - not the two spades as I thought - mean there are far fewer decent drawing hands than I indicated, just gut-shots. Still, it's better to not try getting tricky here and you'll still get your value from those top-pair hands. JT is pretty unlikely and just unlucky for you if you run into it or a set. You played it fine.
  • edited February 2012
    In 3bet pots NEVER fold here, just bad beat.
  • edited February 2012
    if you were deeper then there is prob good reason to get away from it.  that is about as bad a flop you can get with AA.

with these stacks and at these stakes i think its a spot you have to get it all in with because as the hand shows no one will fold any top pair hands