You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thews@10 against scotty77 11 quid turbo (ish) early stages

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I respect ryan alot here, i know hes not light cos, although i know he things im a little donkey like, he does respect my ep raise here cos he knows im a giant nit really.

but a) can i fold pre

and b) did i play post flop ok? What is my best play?

The only hand im worried about is AAA 0bv

Did he have it?  And can i play turn differently?

P.s left your name is Ryan cos i know u wont mind
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
tallytink Small blind  15.00 15.00 4155.00
patriot58 Big blind  30.00 45.00 4075.00
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

GREGHOGG Raise  120.00 165.00 3740.00
bar4004 Fold     
BIG_JAZ Fold     
scotty77 Raise  360.00 525.00 7970.00
tallytink Fold     
patriot58 Fold     
GREGHOGG Call  240.00 765.00 3500.00
Flop

• J
  • A

GREGHOGG Check     
scotty77 Bet  330.00 1095.00 7640.00
GREGHOGG Raise  690.00 1785.00 2810.00
scotty77 Call  360.00 2145.00 7280.00
Turn

GREGHOGG All-in  2810.00 4955.00 0.00

Comments

• edited February 2012
    dont like the turn shove...you prob make him fold AK, AQ, AJ, type hands as well as definitely folding out QQ and KK so there is not much value in shoving.  the small reraise suggests a strong hand on the flop so when you shove the turn i dont see how you get called with worse unless he has 99 which is unlikely.

what does shoving the turn ever achieve here? 

its the sort of move weak players make when they have a monster hand and dont know what to do with it so they just shove...panic betting.

bet smaller on the turn.  the honest answer is youre not getting away from your hand here on the turn so it doesnt matter if he reraises you and youre probably not folding to any rivers either because its an £11 tourney and you feel villain can be making a move on you enough times to make the call profitable.  so why try to close the pot down when there is potentially a lot more value left to be had here.

if you're a 'giant nit' he cant call this shove without having you crushed and your shove has just made their decision on the turn ridiculously easy
  • edited February 2012
    ps...i really hope he has 10 9cc
  • edited February 2012
    1) he can be light

2) therefore check call and let him bluff because scotty loves to bluff

if you must raise make it 800-900 and then jam the turn. the mini raise is gay and I don't like it
  • edited February 2012
    Yeah pretty easy check raise just make it bigger, minning it is pretty awful as gives draws great price, for me up towards 900-1000 on a very wet flop.

Turn is obvz a bad card so check call keeps possible bluffs in.
  • ybyb
    edited February 2012
    c/c flop, c/c turn, c/shove river imo
  • edited February 2012

Don’t like c/r size but think c/r is ok

Don’t think oppo is floating you on flop, but it is possible

If oppo is floating then oppo either reps turn/river or has it, tough spot

c/c is fine if your 100% oppo has bluffs in range or will still v/b worse on a very possible bad run out

don’t think the turn shove is that bad considering pot size, only problem is maybe oppo only calls with the KQ – can’t see any other hands oppo plays this way and calls turn shove, may even lay down AK

don’t think the turn shove is that bad considering pot size, only problem is maybe oppo only calls with the KQ – can’t see any other hands oppo plays this way and calls turn shove

if blank river then maybe shove river

• edited February 2012
    played fine other then turn for me, maybe c/c or small bet try and feint weakness like 900 and shove river if jus called
  • edited February 2012

The main problem you have, is that you have raised UTG, and called a 3b OOP from a good player.
    Your range for doing that is pretty narrow.

You have then min check-raised a small C-bet - i.e. made a bet with no FE OOP, which therefore almost must be a strong hand.

There are very few draws you can have - maybe KcQc, but probably not much else, given that the Ac is on the board.
    You aren't doing this with AQ (or shouldn't be), and although you can have AK, it would be a strange line to take OTF.

Therefore, it looks like you have a range of 99, JJ, AJ, KcQc and a bit of random spewage.

It's quite reasonable Scotty calls the flop raise with medium strength hands, as the raise vs pot is q. small, but then can't continue the turn without a monster.

Your line means you are only going to get stacks in against a good player with a cooler either way.

I think you have to check-call the flop, and then either check call turn, or level him into calling a check jam, depending on the dynamic between the two of you.
  • edited February 2012
    4b n get it in pre

As played bet 485 on turn :P
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Thews@10 against scotty77 11 quid turbo (ish) early stages:
    I respect ryan alot here, i know hes not light cos, although i know he things im a little donkey like, he does respect my ep raise here cos he knows im a giant nit really. but a) can i fold pre and b) did i play post flop ok? What is my best play? The only hand im worried about is AAA 0bv   Did he have it?  And can i play turn differently? P.s left your name is Ryan cos i know u wont mind Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance tallytink Small blind   15.00 15.00 4155.00 patriot58 Big blind   30.00 45.00 4075.00   Your hole cards J J       GREGHOGG Raise   120.00 165.00 3740.00 bar4004 Fold         BIG_JAZ Fold         scotty77 Raise   360.00 525.00 7970.00 tallytink Fold         patriot58 Fold         GREGHOGG Call   240.00 765.00 3500.00 Flop     J A 9       GREGHOGG Check         scotty77 Bet   330.00 1095.00 7640.00 GREGHOGG Raise   690.00 1785.00 2810.00 scotty77 Call   360.00 2145.00 7280.00 Turn     10       GREGHOGG All-in   2810.00 4955.00 0.00
    Posted by GREGHOGG

You can't fold pre, no need to get it in pre. Just c/c flop instead of gay raising. It keeps your range wider.
  • edited February 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post,

If you would like us to analyse your hand on the poker clinic on our live TV show please do let us know which tournament/cash table the hand is from and also your hand ID.

Poker Clinic is every Thursday at 8pm.

All the best

Sky Poker TV Team.

• edited February 2012
    the raise on the flop really is a mistake.

check/call or check/raise to like 1k....check/min raise is awful

while the flop is draw heavy, with a 3bet pre and the Ac being out there....bar KQcc I'm not really gonna have many draws in my range here either so you don't really need to protect your hand either.

UL tho.  Cooler city
  • edited February 2012
    Ryan do u agree there is no way hoggers is getting of this? he was annoyed as he said he knew wat you had, but obviously you dont just have one hand in your range here? I said its cooler but can never fold 
  • edited February 2012
    ye the min raise on the flop achieves nothing, really poor from me, no excuses, its just difficult to extract value from Ryan, tried to find a way and failed miserably!  (especially as he had AAA) I guess i was hoping he would think me capable of a weird bluff, i know hes seen me do strange stuff before...

Turn ship was also bad  because im only getting called if im crushed!... huuuuume you are spot on! ty for your honestly!, and thanks all for your comments!

Pryce i dont think Ryan is ever light against me here in this spot PRE hense the caution and then "the donkey "well if he has it never mind" turn ship! Really didnt cover myself in glory here.

Happy to have this on the TV clinic if Ryan is, purely to educate others and also advertise my appalling play lol. Its not from a tv table though. As noone else was involved post flop i dont see a problem with showing this as long as Ryan is ok,with it, which im sure he is!!

(was the thews at 10 14th January  hand ID 478885190

• edited February 2012
    dont hate folding pre if u are pretty sure hes never light. Call fine though imo, although you need to be making some moves postflop

On flop I think you should either c/c or crai

As played b/c turn