You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what to do on this flop thoughts please should i have called the raise?

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
weedgiSmall blind £0.05£0.05£19.85ken62Big blind £0.10£0.15£17.38 Your hole cardsKQ   badtoadFold    howmeisterFold    IDONKCALLURaise £0.40£0.55£21.24denty765Call £0.40£0.95£53.33weedgiFold    ken62Call £0.30£1.25£17.08Flop  K73   ken62Bet £1.25£2.50£15.83IDONKCALLUCall £1.25£3.75£19.99denty765Raise £3.75£7.50£49.58ken62Call £2.50£10.00£13.33IDONKCALLUFold    Turn  8   ken62Check    denty765Bet £7.50£17.50£42.08ken62Fold    denty765Muck    denty765Win £9.25 £51.33denty765Return £7.50£0.75£58.8

Comments

• edited February 2012
    I think your first problem is caused by only calling the donk-bet on the flop. As you had the betting lead pre-flop and have hit top pair, I think it's up to you to maintain an aggressive line. Make the three-bet yourself - perhaps just to £3 - and stay in control of the pot. It would make your subsequent decisions easier.

As it is We just have to examine our 3-betting opponent's likely range:
    He's called your opening raise pre-flop, in position which doesn't tell us much but makes hands like AA, AK, KK, and QQ, which would mostly 3-bet, unlikely. on the flop he's seen a donk-lead for full pot and a call from the pre-flop raiser and he's chosen to come over the top. It looks pretty strong to me, so I'm starting to think about which hands in his (wide) pre-flop calling range hit this flop hard: K7 is conceivable, K3 and 73 are not. 77 and 33 are very good fits for his play. Every other hand - KJ, KT - we beat but how realistic is it that he's raising 2 players with these hands? Alot depends on our opinion of the player; Is he tight, loose, normally aggressive, normally passive? Is he a particularly tricky player, making lots of check-raises, 3-bets and 4-bets?

In a vacuum I fold. It's notoriously difficult to sniff out sets, but I'm getting the whiff of 77 here. That's what my instincts tell me. That said, I made a similar bluff in live play not so long ago on a T74 rainbow flop, where the action meant that if I came over the top - with a check-raise 4-bet - I just had to have a set. I actually had 23 of clubs and just did it to prove I could. If your opponent has that going on in his head maybe we should leave this table, but most of the time it's a good fold. :)
  • edited February 2012
    That's not a brag btw. Just want to point out that if we're giving our opponent credit for bluffs in this spot, he's not going to be the type of player we need to play against. We want opponents, frankly, with less ability than that who'll play more straightforward.
  • edited February 2012
    i put villain on a set played him before hes a tight player a regular aswell 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: what to do on this flop thoughts please should i have called the raise?:
    I think your first problem is caused by only calling the donk-bet on the flop. As you had the betting lead pre-flop and have hit top pair, I think it's up to you to maintain an aggressive line. Make the three-bet yourself - perhaps just to £3 - and stay in control of the pot. 
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Why raise the donk bet? You just fold out all of the donk leaders bluffs and bloat the pot with 1pair when really deep.
  • edited February 2012

We raise the donk-bet mainly because we're still three-handed. We don't want this to continue three-handed because it gives us too many problems on too many turns. We don't need the third player coming along with a 78 type hand and giving us issues around the Sandwich effect later or even hitting his hand to beat us.

If this was heads up we can definitely call this lead in position and expect him to give us value on later streets with weaker hands than ours. I think most of the time raising is a good idea for value against his hand anyway. It increases the size of the pot while we're reasonably confident of being ahead and it's the sort of response that the player leading-out will expect from a pre-flop raiser. He could easily continue in the hand with a King, thinking we'd come over the top just because it was a donk-lead.

• edited February 2012
    Actually NColley, I've reconsidered. If we were heads-up, the board is so dry that we can only really get action from another King if we raise the flop. Occasionally someone will overplay a seven or do something really silly, but on the whole I think you're right: If we're heads-up a call is probably better on this dry board. We can get value from people continuing a bluff on the turn or, more likely, betting with the 7 or weaker King.

Three-handed though, I do stick by raising to isolate and maintain control of the pot, as I said.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: what to do on this flop thoughts please should i have called the raise?:
    i put villain on a set played him before hes a tight player a regular aswell 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    You have answered you'r own question, good fold.
  • edited February 2012
    good fold, never a bluff - minimum AK
  • edited February 2012
    dont raise flop, no reason to unless donk bettor stacks with worse Kings

3way on that dry a flop you have to fold
  • edited February 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post,

If you would like us to analyse your hand on the poker clinic on our live TV show please do let us know which tournament/cash table the hand is from and also your hand ID.

Poker Clinic is every Thursday at 8pm.

All the best

Sky Poker TV Team.