You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hit set but now what.

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £31.67
cleaverjim Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £41.96
TheChis Big blind  £0.20 £0.50 £19.80
 Your hole cards

AJ_Rockets Fold     
TheChis Check     
Raise  £1.00 £1.50 £19.47
ravrbaby29 Fold     
cleaverjim Call  £0.80 £2.30 £41.16
TheChis Fold     
Flop

cleaverjim Check     
 Bet  £2.30 £4.60 £17.17
cleaverjim Raise  £4.60 £9.20 £36.56
 All-in  £17.17 £26.37

Comments

• edited February 2012
    He could have an over-set, but you can't afford to be folding out of fear of those. It's more likely that he has an overpair or a high flush-draw. Possibly even a combo hand like a flush-draw with a straight draw, or a top pair with a flush draw. Our set is a favourite against those hands and those hands make up a majority of the hands he's going to play this way. It's not very likely that he's playing J9, having raised pre-flop. We're well ahead of his range and this is a straightforward call.

Do we really want to be calling with 77, flopping our set - which will happen on 1/8 flops - and then folding? No, I don't think we do. If he has us beat at this point, it's just a cooler.
  • edited February 2012
    Cheers m8 i must admit i thought im not letting a set go and the way he bet pre i thought he had AK hearts or JJ-AA,So i called he showed AA .
  • edited February 2012
    There are 4 hands that beat you (two sets and J9/96). But he could take this line with any suited hand with nine or ten of hearts, any two pair or any over pair. Call it off and if he has the straight you still have about 35% chance of making a boat. Simples!
  • edited February 2012
    When you flop a set

As long as there is not a pretty much clear straight or flush on there you just get your money in with a set and if you lose you lick your wounds. If your bankroll is right for this level then you should be able to cope financially with these things happening and move on from it.

You absolutely cannot fold here
  • edited February 2012
    get in your stack 100% when you flop a set  100BB deep and you wont go too far wrong

Also raising this then even considering folding would be awful without very specific reads
  • edited February 2012
    You flatcall a raise with pockets preflop with the aim of hitting a set and taking down a big pot. But set mining is only profitable when you take down big pots after finding your set because the big pots pay for all the other times when you miss your set and fold out. The difficulty with set mining is that you cant always build a large enough pot, because your action scares away the other players. In this hand we have the perfect situation, an aggressive player is giving the action and doing the betting for us. We succeed in building the pot we want. 

Snap call 

If it's set over set, or he makes his draw, then its just bad luck - reload. 
    You are more than likely getting your money in good here.
  • edited February 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post,

If you would like us to analyse your hand on the poker clinic on our live TV show please do let us know which tournament/cash table the hand is from and also your hand ID.

Poker Clinic is every Thursday at 8pm.

All the best

Sky Poker TV Team.

• edited February 2012
    I hit three 8s and bt AA aswell 2nite,but aint AA ment to lose on ere. 95% of time mine do.wd