You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

continuation betting??

I am currently playing in 30p dym games, just wondering if i get dealt 2 reasonable cards say a q, so i raise twice the bb, the flop comes and i dont hit, should i throw out a continuation bet?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Definitely. A tip would be to raise a bit bigger with AQ and other decent hands - 3x,4x or even 5x - as it defines ur opponents hands that bit more.  I wouldn't always c bet but in general, its a good practice to get into as the flop probably hasn't helped ur opponent either.
  • edited November 2009
    yep  u  need  to  mick  find  out  where u are      the  player   comes  over  the  top   fold
  • edited November 2009
    so if i raise and my oppenent calls, this is 9 times out of ten them showing weekness?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: continuation betting??:
    so if i raise and my oppenent calls, this is 9 times out of ten them showing weekness?
    Posted by mickgreen
    No, not at all. If they call with 6,5 diamonds ( very likely) it doesnt mean they're weak - just speculating. Players will also call raises pre with pocket pairs in the hope of making a set on the flop. Definitely not weak to call a raise pre flop.
  • edited November 2009
    half bet ,

check turn  and river if you still miss ,

that will be 10 pounds plzzzzzzzzzzz
  • edited November 2009
      continuation betting is an absolute must and should be done. My problem is that preflop you are talking about putting in such a small raise that all the junky hands are priced in to call you.Phil was right in what he said and you should raise a proper amount. A good preflop raise narrows the range of hands that will call you and give you a much better idea of where you are.
  • edited November 2009
    Playing in the 30p DYM games is a lottery nowadays.
    No one respects a 4 or 5 times pre flop raise.
    They will still call with connecting cards or suited cards thinking they will always hit a strait or flush.
    They will also call a continuation bet if they have hit any part of the flop.
    Many times I have seen runner runner beat my premium hands.
    I do still put out a half pot bet or better, but I nearly always get a call from the gambler who then goes on to hit.
  • edited November 2009
    too many expect it. I find check and bet / raise works better
  • edited November 2009
    Question is far, far too broad

Like, say you're against a loose passive opponent, raise th btn 3x /w AQ he flats BB, flop 424r, I might check back cause we have a ton of s/d value. If he's REALLY loose passive I might be betting for value.

Lets say, you're against a fairly strong player, you raise /w AQ, flop comes Tx9s8s and you have no spade, and he checks. He's check raising us off the best hand so often /w semi bluffs that I prob check back.

If you're against a TAGgish player same situation, flop comes KT3r, then c-bet like 100%.

Also stack size's come into play....theres too many variables to even begin to break down in a single post lol.

The best I can do is to advise you to learn how to recognise the different types of board texture and be more inclined to c-bet dryer boards (boards that have less draws/hands our opponent would have called pre with that call the flop) vs opponents that are tight aggressive and tight passive. Even thats pretty broad, but yeah, just as a guideline.