You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

unlucky or stupid??

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancemakulafaSmall blind 30.0030.004932.50MUFC-CLINTBig blind 60.0090.001625.00 Your hole cards56   CVHFold    Pauline34Raise 180.00270.004340.00DanmegellaFold    ANITA_40Call 180.00450.0014502.50makulafaCall 150.00600.004782.50MUFC-CLINTCall 120.00720.001505.00Flop  562   makulafaCheck    MUFC-CLINTBet 720.001440.00785.00Pauline34Call 720.002160.003620.00ANITA_40Call 720.002880.0013782.50makulafaFold    Turn  A   MUFC-CLINTAll-in 785.003665.000.00Pauline34Call 785.004450.002835.00ANITA_40Raise 6020.0010470.007762.50Pauline34All-in 2835.0013305.000.00ANITA_40Unmatched bet 2400.0010905.0010162.50MUFC-CLINTShow56   Pauline34Show10K   ANITA_40Show2J   River  3   Pauline34WinFlush to the Ace10905.00 10905.0

Comments

• edited February 2012

Have i been unlucky here or stupid! i was the big blind and had a raise of 180 and 2 callers so thought for an extra 120 with 3 in i'll call for value?

• edited February 2012
    Surely after you bet that flop and get these callers you know that an Ace or a heart is putting you behind baring in mind both came in one card i think you had to give up and when. However to counter that your flop bet was very big and should of cut out the hands calling but i'm guessing this was a low dym.
    Bet less on flop or put it in on the flop  
  • edited February 2012
    fold pre, you are less than 30BB deep and have to c/f a ton

bet less on flop, obv call it off if raised

Turn isnt a good card for you but with stacksizes shoving is fine
  • edited February 2012
    Snap fold pre.

I prefer check raise all in on flop.

Turn you can't fold now just ul.
  • edited February 2012
    Defo fold pre, let your BB go fella, you dont have to defend it everytime.

Maybe if you had checked flop, you might have got to see a cheap turn (maybe), if not, then all in.

Ps, had to look twice at your username, i thought it said..... err, nevermind.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: unlucky or stupid??:
    Defo fold pre, let your BB go fella, you dont have to defend it everytime. Maybe if you had checked flop, you might have got to see a cheap turn (maybe), if not, then all in. Ps, had to look twice at your username, i thought it said..... err, nevermind.
    Posted by davelufc
    haha i know ive asked sky to changed my name but they cant :( lol

i called pre flop because ive had people calling me the same situation and them saying to me they called for value?? is that not right?

yeah i knew on the turn one of them probably hit a flush but thought with 700 left might as well go all in on the hope they dont
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: unlucky or stupid??:
    In Response to Re: unlucky or stupid?? : haha i know ive asked sky to changed my name but they cant :( lol i called pre flop because ive had people calling me the same situation and them saying to me they called for value?? is that not right? yeah i knew on the turn one of them probably hit a flush but thought with 700 left might as well go all in on the hope they dont
    Posted by MUFC-CLINT
    Dont think its good play calling  oop with a raise and 2 callers,

The hit you flop pretty good, but its a wet flop.

If you had position you prob would have folded to a pot bet and a call?

As it is, you lost all your chips oop with 6 5 o/s.

Dont call yor BB for "value". you`ll spew more than you win.
  • edited February 2012
    On this hand on the flop its very difficult because its draw heavy, but with there being a raise and a call, you are probably putting your opponent on either high cards or a decent pocket pair. If you check, you would want them to bet and then reshove over the top of them to get your money in the middle quicker. Looking at the preflop raisers hand, she would always be betting that flop there, possibly 2/3s of the pot because if she thinks her one pair outs are live, she has any King, 10 or heart to win the hand. if your hand was 6-7 (to make you have one pair and her pair outs become live) her equity would be 45% and she would be favorite despite not having a made hand. She can't check because her equity is reduced on the turn (looking past the fact Anita should and could bet the flop if you both checked)much lower and she won't be able to stand a substantial bet (2/3s pot) as her equity is only 31% if she doesn't make her hand and the three of you are still in the hand. On the turn you have to put one of them on the flush. There is almost nothing you can beat unless they had something weird like K6. There is a slight chance someone has A6 or A5 and made two pair on the turn. They could have even flopped a straight with 3-4 although thats also unlikely.

How the hand should have gone:

PREFLOP - you should have just folded. If she has been raising an awful lot and your stack permits it, you could 3bet but you have to be mindful of being put in an horrible spot if you are 4bet where you could almost be goaded into shoving or folding. You need to know your opponent to do this, have an idea of the amount that gets the job done and consider the effective stack sizes. You have 1700 odd with your big blind. A 3bet here to make them fold would probably have to be 3x their raise. 540. That leaves you with 1200 left. Its a large amount of your stack. You could possibly just reshove, but your stack is too small for 3bet raising here, but too big (just) for 3bet shoving. Just bin and wait for a better spot. If its folded round to you in the cut off, try and open here where its more profitable playing the hand

FLOP- we have to isolate each situation and although I hate your preflop call, you have hit two pair, so you can't fold here with the near dream flop. I think you check to the raiser and then shove here, although you have to be prepared for the draws to call. Pauline would bet out. Anita would reshove over Pauline (because she has in her eyes any heart, 2 or jack that would win her the hand very likely) and the action is back on you. You are worried about one hand here (3-4). You have to shove all in to isolate I think. Your hand is strong but vulnerable. Pauline should probably fold, but she will probably call and you will still lose the hand.

Overall you would have lost the hand either way from the flop about 42% of the time. You have to remember vs multiple opponents your equity is much lower and your hand is more vulnerable