You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I have bet every street or slowed down?

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Pysterman Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £9.16
DaveHunt Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £12.00
 Your hole cards

bright211 Call  £0.10 £0.25 £5.41
mcbay Fold     
Gixxer1 Call  £0.10 £0.35 £21.01
ballboy Call  £0.10 £0.45 £10.86
Pysterman Call  £0.05 £0.50 £9.11
DaveHunt Check     
Flop

• A

Pysterman Bet  £0.38 £0.88 £8.73
DaveHunt Call  £0.38 £1.26 £11.62
bright211 Call  £0.38 £1.64 £5.03
Gixxer1 Fold     
ballboy Fold     
Turn

Pysterman Bet  £1.23 £2.87 £7.50
DaveHunt Call  £1.23 £4.10 £10.39
bright211 Call  £1.23 £5.33 £3.80
River

Pysterman Bet  £4.00 £9.33 £3.50
DaveHunt Call  £4.00 £13.33 £6.39
bright211 All-in  £3.80 £17.13 £0.00
Pysterman Show

DaveHunt Muck
  • A
  • K

bright211 Show
  • J

bright211 Win Three 6s £15.47  £15.47
Pysterman Win Three 6s £0.37  £3.87
I know I didn't need to have made up the blind, but with so many limpers I figured there was value here.

In the end, it was lesson in why you should only play to hit a straight with low connectors.

But, given that I hit trips, should I have slowed down after getting 2 callers? I figured that the Ace on board meant I would get a lot of calls with weaker Ax hands.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    should have checked river , getting called in two spots - what worse hand is calling?
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Should I have bet every street or slowed down?:
    should have checked river , getting called in two spots - what worse hand is calling?
    Posted by simonnatur
    At this level, I figured they could easily both have had Ax hands, either of which could have made 2 pairs by the turn or river. (After all, there's only one other 6 out there.)

If I check the river, am I check-calling or check-folding?
  • edited February 2012
    Posted by simonnatur
    :o ??

Think it's fine, their ranges are full of Ax and missed draws.

Obv not expecting to get 2 calls from worse on the river but checking is far too risk averse. I'd play post flop xactly the same.
  • edited February 2012
    seems a bit optimistic to put them both on Ax in a limped pot pre,  and I dont see a lot of draws they can have.

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Should I have bet every street or slowed down? : :o ?? Think it's fine, their ranges are full of Ax and missed draws. Obv not expecting to get 2 calls from worse on the river but checking is far too risk averse. I'd play post flop xactly the same.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1

This is straightforward. You can't be putting them on better hands than an Ace here. How many 6's are realistically in many players limping range? Not many. (Let's not allow the result of the specific hand to cloud our judgement about what is likely in the long-term)

Putting them on a limped pocket pair of Aces or Tens is a bit of an exotic assumption and nobody is going to see that river with a pair of 4's, so I don't see there's any getting away from this. Just take notice of your opponents super-wide limping range, tap the table and say nice hand. You'll get him next time.
  • edited February 2012
    Also take note of DaveHunt's pre-flop checking range in the BB... AK?
  • edited February 2012
    Think river shove is fine given stacks on river, no way we can c/f so Im not giving them a chance to check weak As behind. Having said that Im not surprised when one turns up a better 6. (especially if it was BB who turned it over)

Doh, what u talking about missed draws. What draws missed and why bet against them, if there are any
  • edited February 2012
    Sorry I misread thought there was a flush draw on the flop.

My point was that we're more likely to be up against an Ax hand & a draw than an Ax hand & a better 6x....

So we aren't betting expecting to get called by 2 worse hands, just 1, and obv the draw/s will muck. 

All b/s tho as like u say there are no draws. I've done a moobs, sorry. 
  • edited February 2012
    Folding these type of hands in the sb @ 10nl 100% of the time pre flop.

As played I lead all 3 streets too, might make the river v bet a bit smaller though.
  • edited February 2012

yeah I think overlimping in the sb is pretty marginal with 67o even with those odds

• edited February 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post,

If you would like us to analyse your hand on the poker clinic on our live TV show please do let us know which tournament/cash table the hand is from and also your hand ID.

Poker Clinic is every Thursday at 8pm.

All the best

Sky Poker TV Team.