You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL10 - biggest differences from NL4?

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all.

I have been multitabling NL4/NL8 for a while now and built up a decent enough bankroll to comfortably move up to NL10. I wanted to get some tips in terms of the quality of the opponents, and hopefully you guys can help share your experiences.

What would you say are the main differences from NL4? 
Are the players generally better or are they the same?
Is there any value in widening hand ranges and playing small ball at this level?

Would you suggest the same rules for suceeding at NL4, i.e table selection, always buying in for the maximum, keeping topped up, raising up big preflop with premiums, playing ABC etc? 

Any tips would be received gratefully

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Stick to your same game plan m8,You still gets loads of fish on these tables so wait for the hands raise high with top hands and get there money!!I spent nearly 4 months grinding these tables out with ups n downs but my bankroll is enough to play 10/20 comfortably.Good luck.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: NL10 - biggest differences from NL4?:
    Stick to your same game plan m8,You still gets loads of fish on these tables so wait for the hands raise high with top hands and get there money!!I spent nearly 4 months grinding these tables out with ups n downs but my bankroll is enough to play 10/20 comfortably.Good luck.
    Posted by cleaverjim
    Out of curiousity, what kind of bankroll did you have before you moved up to NL20, not that I want to get too far ahead of myself
  • edited February 2012
    If you want to be more aggressive with your BR then you can try moving up with 20buyins but you have to drop down if you go down to 17/16 buyins. If you would rather be more comfortable then move up with 30 buyins or more.

Also instead of going from one level to another try opening up just one table at the next level and playing alongside your current level.

It's usually a good idea to try this later on in an evening after you've been running and playing well on your current level. This is because your confidence will be higher and you will be thinking clearer, just be careful of positive tilt though.

As for NL10 and it's differences to NL4, table selection plays a bigger part as the players can vary wildly. You can also adjust your preflop raise sizes down to near normal levels unless the table is full of loose players then you can keep adjusting upwards and see what the players will call.

• edited February 2012
    I see a lot of these threads and tbh theres really not a lot of difference between the levels even right up to the mid - high stakes on the site. From nl4 to nl100 the dynamic of the tables doesn't change all that much, you will still find tables with regs and fish. Yeah the regs at 100nl are better than the regs at nl4 but the fish are still fish whether they are playing at nl100 or nl4 it doesn't make a difference. Don't be afraid of moving up a level as long as you have the right BR good table selection and realising who the regs are and how they play.
  • edited February 2012
    Only advice I can give which is not already mentioned.
    • Constantly use the notes tab to keep a record of players. If you get sucked out really badly, get a note of it and it can help you in the future. What do players bet when they hit? what do they bet when they miss? If they fired a pot sized bet on the river- was it a bluff or was it a value bet? information such as their tendency to bluff in a certain situation are the key things you need. You may already do this, but it helps with the point already raised- table selection. The tricky thing is the players with notes on are not highlighted from the lobby, so you may want to manually note these players so you can dig out your list and look for them
    • as you already put, make sure you are topping up constantly if you get below about 8.50 maybe. If the other stacks at the table are smaller than yours its not as much of a concern, but 1.50 extra in your stack could be 1.50x the callers you get extra in an all in pot situation.
    • multi-tabling. If you watch Skypoker TV they regularly advertise this. I recommend playing as many as you are comfortable playing and you can manage with your computer setup. You may also want to note which other players are doing multitabling. You will notice this eventually if a player is on several of your tables at once and make a not they are doing this as they may be a player you don't want to go to war against

There isn't really that much difference between the two really.

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: NL10 - biggest differences from NL4?:
    I see a lot of these threads and tbh theres really not a lot of difference between the levels even right up to the mid - high stakes on the site. From nl4 to nl100 the dynamic of the tables doesn't change all that much, you will still find tables with regs and fish. Yeah the regs at 100nl are better than the regs at nl4 but the fish are still fish whether they are playing at nl100 or nl4 it doesn't make a difference. Don't be afraid of moving up a level as long as you have the right BR good table selection and realising who the regs are and how they play.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    Good point! 
    So I guess the question I am curious to ask is: who are the decent regulars at NL10