You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can I / Should I rep the Ace.

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
readless I dont like 3betting pre

I wouldnt bet that flop unless I intended firing again, and I prob would even on whats a horrible barrell card on turn. Checking back flop is fine imo

That A would be just too tempting when he checks river, with no showdown value I prob would fire

The 3bet pre puts you in all sorts of tricky spots postflop unless you have good reads on villain

Comments

• edited February 2012
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    robin73 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £5.70
    MEAKES Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £5.51
      Your hole cards

xxx Raise  £0.20 £0.35 £10.79
    Ms_Chips Fold     
    NColley Raise  £0.70 £1.05 £9.00
    CRAFTYJ Fold     
    robin73 Fold     
    MEAKES Fold     
    xxx Call  £0.50 £1.55 £10.29
    Flop

• K

xxx Check     
    NColley Bet  £1.00 £2.55 £8.00
    xxx Call  £1.00 £3.55 £9.29
    Turn

xxx Check     
    NColley Check     
    River

• A

xxx Check     
    NColley Bet  £2.30 £5.85 £5.70
    xxx Call

Open to criticism, is 3betting this hand bad ect ect/ was the cbet bad.
    I'd discounted AA/KK/AK from his range, since I'd expect him to 4bet them oop p/f.

If you were villian, how wide would you call me? Do I rep only exactly what I had? (busted flushdraw)
  • edited February 2012
    3 bet bigger pre then fire the flop bigger.

check turn
    check river.

at 10NL dont you think we are being slightly ambitious even thinking that villain could be assigning you to a certain range when you bet the river?

if they are min raising pre utg then they're a fish so probably have no clue on putting opponents on a range of hands so will just call because the little bit of writing in the middle of their table says they have 2 pairs
  • edited February 2012
    Yeah not a fan of 3-betting this type of hand in NL10.

You've got to fire at the river though now you've gone this far.
  • edited February 2012
  • edited February 2012

By 3 betting m8 your representing imo tens by not 3 betting higher so think reping an ace goes to waste.

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Can I / Should I rep the Ace.:
    By 3 betting m8 your representing imo tens by not 3 betting higher so think reping an ace goes to waste.
    Posted by cleaverjim
    if when you 3bet your only repping 10 10+ then you're not 3 betting enough

3 betting here is good because we isolate a weaker player when we have position
  • edited February 2012
    I am balanced in this spot I would raise the same size with my monsters as well as my bluffs,

@ cleaver if you are putting me on 1010 when I'm 3 betting 89s, surely this gives you some idea as to why my 3 bet is a good idea.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Can I / Should I rep the Ace. : if when you 3bet your only repping 10 10+ then you're not 3 betting enough 3 betting here is good because we isolate a weaker player when we have position
    Posted by huuuuume
    Why do we want to isolate a weaker player, who has already raised with 9hi?
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Can I / Should I rep the Ace. : Why do we want to isolate a weaker player, who has already raised with 9hi?
    Posted by grantorino
    My point exactly
  • edited February 2012
    I am balanced in this spot I would raise the same size with my monsters as well as my bluffs, @ cleaver if you are putting me on 1010 when I'm 3 betting 89s, surely this gives you some idea as to why my 3 bet is a good idea.
    Posted by NColley[/QUOTE

when u make a 3bet so cheap your gonna get called all day long,So if you wanna squeeze make the 3 bet a lot higher.Making a 3 bet with your hand to me makes no sense unless you squeeze higher...
  • edited February 2012

+ THE C BET ON A PAIRED BOARD SPELLS TROUBLE COZ IF YOU DO GET LUCKY AND HIT SPADE THERE ARE SO SO SO MANY HANDS BEATING YOU.

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Can I / Should I rep the Ace. :
    I am balanced in this spot I would raise the same size with my monsters as well as my bluffs, @ cleaver if you are putting me on 1010 when I'm 3 betting 89s, surely this gives you some idea as to why my 3 bet is a good idea. Posted by NColley[/QUOTE when u make a 3bet so cheap your gonna get called all day long,So if you wanna squeeze make the 3 bet a lot higher.Making a 3 bet with your hand to me makes no sense unless you squeeze higher...
    Posted by cleaverjim
    So you only ever 3bet to get people to fold ?
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Can I / Should I rep the Ace. : Why do we want to isolate a weaker player, who has already raised with 9hi?
    Posted by grantorino
    we dont know what the weaker player has raised with at this point.

you always want to isolate the weaker players at the table.  playing a hand is a lot easier when you are better than the person you are playing against. 

in all honesty our cards are not that important here.  we have position, we are better than the villain and with aggression we will take the pot down 90% of the time.  when we 3bet pre we probably arent thinking about taking the pot at showdown unless we really hit the board hard at which point we look to induce a call rather than induce a fold.

using cleaverjim's thinking - when we 3 bet he thinks we have 10 10+...so when he calls our flop cbet he must be strong because he thinks we are strong (assuming he has any basic poker understanding).  this is exactly why i think we should check it down in the hand posted in op.  with a wider 3bet range its easier to build pots with your stronger hands and take down pots when you dont have the best of it.  if you only raise 10 10+ any half decent player will just fold to every single 3bet you do because you only have a good hand.

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Can I / Should I rep the Ace. : So you only ever 3bet to get people to fold ?
    Posted by AcidMan27
    with 9 high yeah..
  • edited February 2012
    Back to the op tho i cant see how you can rep ace after getting flat called to your bet post flop,Agreed the turn card makes no difference but once you bet after the flop i think you need to check it down although you no your 9 high is beat .
  • edited February 2012

You can't see how I can rep an A?

Cleaver, some of your posts baffle me, even in this thread you started talking about a 'squeeze'. There is no squeeze involved at all in this hand. I just can't take your posts seriously on my hands when I think you don't understand the game at a level that allows you to contribute to the thread properly.

There is so many Ax spade / AQ - A10 hands I can have that would play out exactly the same way.

Huuuuume's post pretty much covers the reasons why I 3 bet.

He is prob right when he stated I was ambitious in thinking villian could be assigning me a range when I fire this river.

• edited February 2012
    pre-flop is the best street to start to introduce somes bluffing into your game because it is the cheapest. If you 3-bet-bluff and have to fold to a 4-bet then it will typically cost you around 9BBs. A bluff on a later street could cost you as much as 50-60BBs

The other advantage to 3-bet bluffing is your image. If you are 3-betting about 2% of the time then the regs will start to notice and know that your range is roughly QQ+ or AK and will play accordingly. Either they will: a)just fold and you win 4.5BBs each time; b) adjust their 4-bet range to KK+ and you have to go all in as a 4:1 dog most times; or c) call your 3-bet with small PPs and SC in a fit-or-fold state of mind knowing that all they have to do for your full stack is beat an overpair.
    If you 3-bet about 5% of the time then suddenly this small difference changes your image. You are 3-betting twice as often and your opponents will start 4-betting you with QQ and even JJ thinking they are ahead.

If your light 3-bets get called then your flop c-bets will be much more sucessful in 3-bet pots than normal since most players will have a hand that missed the flop but have every reason to believe that you have an over pair. Most times in a standard pot (no 3-bet) players will call c-bets with all sorts of 1-pair hands and draws because they think you have overcards, 3-betting pre makes the "I have an over pair" c-bet more difficult to float.

Since at low levels players tend to call 3-bets too often you should 3-bet light with hands where you give yourself a good chance of flopping a monster. 89s is a good candidate since you only have to show up once with a 9-high straight, beating your opponent's set and they think you are a maniac.

In this particular pot I think if you are going to 3-bet and the fire a c-bet on the flop the 4h is a total brick. To keep the story going at this point you have to fire a second barrel. I think you are better to bet the turn than check the turn and then bet the river, since you might make him fold here and you can always hit the flush if he calls.

In summary your line here doesn't make much sense. You 3-bet in possition which is good, bet the flop, check the turn and then bet the ace on the river. Looks like a busted flush draw to me. The check on the turn gives it way
  • edited February 2012
    You can't see how I can rep an A? Cleaver, some of your posts baffle me, even in this thread you started talking about a 'squeeze'. There is no squeeze involved at all in this hand. I just can't take your posts seriously on my hands when I think you don't understand the game at a level that allows you to contribute to the thread properly. There is so many Ax spade / AQ - A10 hands I can have that would play out exactly the same way. Huuuuume's post pretty much covers the reasons why I 3 bet. He is prob right when he stated I was ambitious in thinking villian could be assigning me a range when I fire this river.
    Posted by NColley
    OMG...the clinic is for everyone to express there views on correct/uncorrect play,IMO you played it incorrectly but thats my view so as you always seem to take offence to my posts i will leave you to digest your hand play with posts you like!!
  • edited February 2012
    when I think you don't understand the game at a level that allows you to contribute to the thread properl

:).....lol
  • edited February 2012
    first u say why 3 bet?, you don't give me any reasons why you wouldn't 3 bet.

then you say im repping 10 10 by not 3 betting higher? I mean wtf does this mean. if i 3 bet more u think I have AA?

then you imply my sizing is wrong, you say bigger but you don't say how much bigger.

If you are going to make statements, please try and justify them. Its not hard to say something like ' I would make it x amount pre flop because of ...... w/e reason you would. 'I would check river because .....'
  • edited February 2012
    first u say why 3 bet?,

Because the answer is in the question..why 3 bet?I really cant see what your gripe is tbh but my question was why would you!

When you did, i explain in detail i wouldnt bet into a paired board!

Then i explain once youve bet i would then check it down!

What else can i say on the hand!

They are my views!
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Can I / Should I rep the Ace. : we dont know what the weaker player has raised with at this point. you always want to isolate the weaker players at the table.  playing a hand is a lot easier when you are better than the person you are playing against.  in all honesty our cards are not that important here.  we have position, we are better than the villain and with aggression we will take the pot down 90% of the time.  when we 3bet pre we probably arent thinking about taking the pot at showdown unless we really hit the board hard at which point we look to induce a call rather than induce a fold. using cleaverjim's thinking - when we 3 bet he thinks we have 10 10+...so when he calls our flop cbet he must be strong because he thinks we are strong (assuming he has any basic poker understanding).  this is exactly why i think we should check it down in the hand posted in op.  with a wider 3bet range its easier to build pots with your stronger hands and take down pots when you dont have the best of it.  if you only raise 10 10+ any half decent player will just fold to every single 3bet you do because you only have a good hand.
    Posted by huuuuume
    I dont think we want to isolate worse players regardless of cards, unless they are extremely weak passive postflop. We have no reads here. Villain has minraised utg, which as you say prob means he's bad, but unless we know we can make him fold pre or on flop a lot all we are doing is creating an inflated pot with the worst hand. I agree we shouldnt just 3bet the top 2% of our hands, but widening to 3bet suited connectors v what looks like a bad unknown doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Obv against some players its fine. 

Do you auto 3bet this gut with any playable hand? If I was going to isolate v what looks like a fish I would prefer 3bet more big broadway hands than scs, though I would go the opposite way v competent players 
  • edited February 2012
    nice post junglegeek, only problem i have with this is a) on sky poker the chances of people seeing if your 3betting 2 % or 5% of the time is almost 0% due to lack of software, and B) this is nl10 and 95% of people are not even looking at your 3 betting range. good post mind.
  • edited February 2012

Isolating fish is crucial, but you need to consider his range before doing so, this is not a great 3 betting spot tbh, (but its not bad).I would check that flop v a fish/donk for pot control, As played, betting the A? i don't like it, you need to be thinking; is you'r opponent thinking about you'r range? will he ever fold a k? and tbh the Ace is well in his range even after calling on the flop, giving up here is best imo.

You should not play fancy at nl10 tbh, play position, play TAG style, and thinking about you'r opponents range will (with a bit of logical thinking) ensure you crush this level. Isolate limpers more, raise big pre with premium hands if the pot is opened by a min-raising-fish, just play solid poker; so do not make irrational bluffs.

• edited February 2012
    pre-flop is the best street to start to introduce somes bluffing into your game because it is the cheapest. If you 3-bet-bluff and have to fold to a 4-bet then it will typically cost you around 9BBs. A bluff on a later street could cost you as much as 50-60BBs

Preflop not always best place to bluff, in fact v a lot of bad players it may be the worst. It costs less but you win less, its a risk reward thing. If you took streets in isolation (prob not best way to think about it) you need your bluffs pre to be sucessful more often than on other streets as your raises are usually larger relevant to the pot

The other advantage to 3-bet bluffing is your image. If you are 3-betting about 2% of the time then the regs will start to notice and know that your range is roughly QQ+ or AK and will play accordingly. Either they will: a)just fold and you win 4.5BBs each time; b) adjust their 4-bet range to KK+ and you have to go all in as a 4:1 dog most times; or c) call your 3-bet with small PPs and SC in a fit-or-fold state of mind knowing that all they have to do for your full stack is beat an overpair. If you 3-bet about 5% of the time then suddenly this small difference changes your image. You are 3-betting twice as often and your opponents will start 4-betting you with QQ and even JJ thinking they are ahead.

Yeah you need to 3bet so you cant be put on just premium hands. Regs will sometimes adjust well, bad players generally wont. If they 4bet JJ+ v a 5% 3bet range, they will be ahead of your range (doesnt mean they should 4bet them). Regs will also sometimes 4bet bluff you. Yeah you need to 3bet bluff sometimes v regs, but villain in this hand prob not a reg

If your light 3-bets get called then your flop c-bets will be much more sucessful in 3-bet pots than normal since most players will have a hand that missed the flop but have every reason to believe that you have an over pair. Most times in a standard pot (no 3-bet) players will call c-bets with all sorts of 1-pair hands and draws because they think you have overcards, 3-betting pre makes the "I have an over pair" c-bet more difficult to float. Since at low levels players tend to call 3-bets too often you should 3-bet light with hands where you give yourself a good chance of flopping a monster. 89s is a good candidate since you only have to show up once with a 9-high straight, beating your opponent's set and they think you are a maniac.

Why would your cbets get more respect if you 3bet more often?Why would they think you have an overpair if you 3bet more often? 89s isnt a bad hand to 3bet bluff but the reason isnt because you might flop a straight v a set and opponent will think you are a maniac. I would prefer Axs hands though. Not too sure we should be 3bet bluffing villain in this hand too often

In this particular pot I think if you are going to 3-bet and the fire a c-bet on the flop the 4h is a total brick. To keep the story going at this point you have to fire a second barrel. I think you are better to bet the turn than check the turn and then bet the river, since you might make him fold here and you can always hit the flush if he calls.

In summary your line here doesn't make much sense. You 3-bet in possition which is good, bet the flop, check the turn and then bet the ace on the river. Looks like a busted flush draw to me. The check on the turn gives it way

Why can check on turn be Ax giving up on bad barrell card. Or JJ checking for pot control? or less likely Kx for deception?
    Posted by jugglegeek
    3bet bluffing is a useful and important weapon v regs.  But unless they are pretty bad nitty regs they will adjust and we have to be able to deal with the dynamic that brings, which will involve getting it in in much more marginal spots. 3bet bluffing v bad players isnt usually a great idea imo, widening your 3bet value range is a better plan imo
  • edited February 2012
    FWIW

pre is ok

probably double barrel

either way I'd give up on river tbh

--

overall why do we 3 bet light, only for balance imo
    true we can widen our 3 bet range so we are 3 betting for value but you would need
    to have lots of meta verus oppo
    Why are we 3 betting in this spot ? To take down pot pre,flop, turn ?
    Guess it's a double edged sword when we flop some equity and half ou brain says pot control and the other half says rep, rep, rep ) imo don't deviate from the original story )

• edited February 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post,

If you would like us to analyse your hand on the poker clinic on our live TV show please do let us know which tournament/cash table the hand is from and also your hand ID.

Poker Clinic is every Thursday at 8pm.

All the best

Sky Poker TV Team.