You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DId I make a mistake here or just a cooler?

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic

(I've posted the full hand as I kinda know I made 1/2 mistakes.) Late stages of a freeroll,  theres 9/650 left and I'm lying 4th. FT would be nice but I'm looking to win.  Not been on this table long and my only read is that MMMM is CL by a long way and has bullied a bit.   GGGG is short stack by a long way and XXXX has 290K.  Blinds are about to go up to 20/40K. GULP!  My question is..IS A2 a strong hand 4 x handed at this stage?  I'm guessing yes and I prob should have been aipf?   BTW 9th and 8th went out on the other table seconds before me and I came 7th!  I didn't have the other table up (another lesson learnt!) so that "might" have affected my all-in?    Not sure, advice please?   FWIW MMMM won the tourney. 
Oh and thanks to Gregghogg's honest advice on a previous posting I seem to be going further in tourneys! Ta 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
GGGG Small blind 15000.00 15000.00 136231.08
MMMM Big blind  30000.00 45000.00 445393.28
  Your hole cards
  • A

Glenelg Call  30000.00 75000.00 248727.81
XXXX Fold     
GGGGFold     
MMMM Check     
Flop

MMMM Check     
Glenelg Bet  30000.00 105000.00 218727.81
MMMM Raise  60000.00 165000.00 385393.28
Glenelg All-in  218727.81 383727.81 0.00
MMMM Call  188727.81 572455.62 196665.47
MMMM Show
  • J

Glenelg Show
  • A

Turn

• J

River

MMMM Win Full House, 2s and Jacks 572455.62  769121.09

Comments

• edited February 2012
    shove or fold pre, I would prob shove. Limping is horrible imo

flop bet a little bigger, obv dont ever fold to a raise or on any turn or river
  • edited February 2012
    Pre is actually scary.

Post flop is punishment for murdering it pre flop
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: DId I make a mistake here or just a cooler?:
    Pre is actually scary. Post flop is punishment for murdering it pre flop
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    its scarier that my advice has helped him lol

I certainly wouldnt ever ever advise limping pre here! limping with that few bbs is not good! i think id probably shove normally
  • edited February 2012
    yeah shove or fold pre me personally i shove but rest of the hand u were just vul
  • edited February 2012
    i would rather chop my leg off than limp utg with A2 in the latter stages of a tournament
  • edited February 2012
    Firstly congrats on making it this far on the freeroll, even though a lot of people don't take them seriously. Its not easy getting in at least the top 9 of 650 runners, so I am guessing you have made a lot of good decisions so far.

I am a bit confused with your stack total preflop- I haven't worked out if the final value which is what your stack size is. Is that after deducting what you put into the pot or before. Anyway working it out, it appears you have about 8 or 9 big blinds here.

As you mentioned above, always have both the tables up when you are down to 12 players and under and be mindful of how smaller stacks are doing on the other table. I think they do it on sky where they have hands in synch when it gets to bubble situations.

It appears you are on the table with 4 players which never makes it easy with short handed play. With how short stacked most players are normally you can get a min raise through most of the time, although this relies on some fear factor ie- players intent on laddering up, which requires the prizes on offer to be substantial. You might not get this with a free roll which you can be playing a lot of hours to win 10-15 quid often which IMO isn't really worth doing, although it depends what you play cash games wise. If you play regularly at 2/4p you might think a free punt for 20 poker points or whatever it is would be worth it, but if you play higher stakes maybe not.

In this situation as someone already said, its shove or fold here. 8/9 big blinds. You have only 3 other players to get to and so many hands are folding. Your range will be extremely wide at this point and you could be snapped off by any pair or even K9 or better perhaps. What you must think though is that assuming they haven't got AA KK etc there is 50% chance they call when you shove or 50% chance they fold. Straight away you have almost 50% chance of winning the hand by shoving. You then if they do call- if they have something like King 9 for example have 60% chance of winning roughly. If they have something like A7 then there is a good chance they call but this is like 50% chance they fold + 25% of the remaining 50% chance if they do call you outflop them and win. That means you are around 62.5% favorite in a way, even if they have a slightly better hand.

If you call out of an 8 big blind stack, you have problems straight away ignoring the flop for the minute. You don't have the betting lead and the big blind is first to act. If a flop comes without an ace on it and they lead out, you need a plan. Are you going to reshove here? if you are surely you should have done preflop when it was less risky as if they have hit there is a good chance they are calling. If you were aborting mission if they lead out when you miss, this is feeding chips to your opponent when you are relying on hitting the flop to win the hand. If they check to you- are you shoving here or are you betting small or checking behind. If you do the first it probably gets through, but you gained nothing, just put yourself at risk. The second option is worse than the first, as if he calls or reshoves you are in a bad spot (still assuming if you miss the flop) with Ace high. The check behind could also open you to being bluffed with a smaller high card. Basically all the options after the flop are bad ones with your stack size- pointing to a need to take it down preflop

On the flop it plays itself from there. If I have J2 I am never ever folding and you are 3 outtered on the turn which was very unlucky. It has to be disappointing though, as with aggression preflop the hand was folding and you would still be in, but we all move on and learn. Its what this forum is for
  • edited February 2012
    i would rather chop my leg off than limp utg with A2 in the latter stages of a tournament
    Posted by huuuuume
    +1, in fact id have to be legless to do it, and that would be a misclick!
  • edited February 2012

Thanks all for feedback (esp Ballboy) much appreciated. I knew I'd messed up as soon as I went out! 
    Much to learn.....

Pad

• edited February 2012
    Thanks all for feedback (esp Ballboy) much appreciated. I knew I'd messed up as soon as I went out!  Much to learn..... Pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    No problem mate.

Anytime
  • edited February 2012
    Bit of both, the mistake was preflop as limping allowed him to get in cheap and hit a dream flop (so he thought) not realising how dominated he was. However the turn is a cooler, you can't do much about that. Sh_t happens
  • edited February 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post,

If you would like us to analyse your hand on the poker clinic on our live TV show please do let us know which tournament/cash table the hand is from and also your hand ID.

Poker Clinic is every Thursday at 8pm.

All the best

Sky Poker TV Team.