You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

poker mathmatics?

Is learning the mathmatics behind poker essential to my game?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I reckon knowing basics will improve your game.
  • edited November 2009
      The mathematics of the game are a vital ingredient in the game, to tell you whether you are getting the right odds to make bets/calls etc. But they are only part of it, you need the other skills as well. If you can get a good idea of hand percentages and pot odds then it will help to elevate your game but only if you use the knowledge well. For full details about the maths of the game contact Merenovice, who is the resident maths genius.
  • edited November 2009
    can  find  out   oust  and  odds   how  they  work  together      pot  odds   go  to  you  tube
  • edited November 2009
    I tried doing the maths and found it took away from the fun.

A basic understanding I found is enough. Gut instict works best for me with some basic maths.
  • edited November 2009
    odds odds odds.
    weigh up your odds in every situation.
    what are the odds of you having ther best hand etc.....

tip # 15 learn your odds and know the poker ladder like the back of your hand.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: poker mathmatics?:
    I tried doing the maths and found it took away from the fun. A basic understanding I found is enough. Gut instict works best for me with some basic maths.
    Posted by Urdadi
    A lot of people play on feel (more live than online) but even they have an understanding of the pot odds. Outs and the price your being charged to hit them are vital. If your calling for the wrong price constantly then there is no way you can make money over time
  • edited November 2009
    Bad to Average players greatly over-estimate the importance of math in NL hold'em.

Understanding how to do fold equity calc's in post sessionr eviews can be good (ie, how often an opponent need to fold for a bluff to be profitable), but, in-game, the best skill set you can have is hand-reading and assigning accurate ranges.

Pot odds are obv important, but they're pretty easy game to learn and assess quickly in game.
  • edited November 2009
    looooooool, in NLHE cash games maths is by far and away the most important skill to have.

Of course u need 2 understand the game aswell, but if u dont understand the maths, then u r at a massive dis-advantage
  • edited November 2009
    You dont need to be a maths genius to know if your getting good odds on your hands etc, you can get a vague idea by looking at the bet/pot difference.

FWIW you are nearly NEVER getting odds to call for a gutshot in NLH
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: poker mathmatics?:
    looooooool, in NLHE cash games maths is by far and away the most important skill to have. Of course u need 2 understand the game aswell, but if u dont understand the maths, then u r at a massive dis-advantage
    Posted by SHANXTA
    Everything can be post analysed with math, but In-game Hand reading, Bet sizing /> Ability to quickly do math.

Ingame math is very very very easy.