You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM away??

Noticed last few games I have played, you get some players not play any hands IE: away.
Then later on in the game when blinds have gone up, Come back to play. (also 2 knocked out by then)

Is this a tactic used a lot in DYM games?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Generally i don't think it'd be a tactic that's used in DYM's , mainly due to the blinds going up so quickly it'd be counterproductive. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt, anyway if they are away it's more dead money!
  • edited June 2009
    in no way is it a tactic, been away on a few, cos of flashplayer/my crap*y laptop,does my head in, and ffs sky u cant type crap*y now?
  • edited June 2009
    thanks all - for reply.  cheers
  • edited June 2009
    You might well get one or two using this tactic.....I've seen it before. But as Tikay says about these DYM's In the early blinds you don't want to be playing marginal hands just in case you get outdrawn until you get a feel for the board.

I generally play quite tight in the early rounds and loosen up in the later rounds when you can put 'em to the sword!
  • edited June 2009
    i dont think its a very good idea,if you want to play that way why not just press the fold button because then if you are delt aces you wont have wasted them and you can play.just play mega tight rather than go "away".
  • edited June 2009
    Ive spoken to players who don't sit for first 10 minutes as a tactic.  Don't see the point really but each to their own.
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM away??:
    in no way is it a tactic, been away on a few, cos of flashplayer/my crap*y laptop,does my head in
    Posted by Blight1

If there's a problem with your connection (be it the computer, internet connection or whatever) then the timeout bar appears RED to the other players so they know there's an issue.

If it's normal GREEN then the player has chosen to be 'away'.

• edited June 2009
    Just depends though, the odd time i've been called away to do something else but it still shows the same, either way, very silly tactic.
  • edited June 2009
    If it's normal GREEN then the player has chosen to be 'away'.
    Posted by NoseyBonk

When I said "chosen" I meant either clicked the AWAY tickbox OR allowed the timeout bar to run-out thus switching the player to automatic 'away' :-) ... where you must click I'M BACK to return.

• edited June 2009
    You might well get one or two using this tactic.....I've seen it before. But as Tikay says about these DYM's In the early blinds you don't want to be playing marginal hands just in case you get outdrawn until you get a feel for the board. I generally play quite tight in the early rounds and loosen up in the later rounds when you can put 'em to the sword!
    Posted by bobcat52
    I would go along with this: Cheers
  • edited June 2009
    I destest it when people are deliberatly "away" in a dym. It happens all the time, and frustrates me.

They do it in the latter stages too and then pop back just as their bb is under attack.  People use it as a tactic imo... that way they can sometimes make the top three doing very little.

• edited July 2009
    I've been in a few DYM's with a specific player about ten times in the past 2 days and every single time they sit out until two people are out, they are a player who is pretty high in the league as well so it works for them but i really really don't like this tactic at all.
  • edited July 2009
    DYMs are soooo boring aren't they? I know they're the bread and butter for many players, but everyone plays so tight that they're just plain boring. They're one of the few forms of the game where a passive approach is more profitable than an active one.
  • FBSFBS
    edited July 2009
    mmm..

Maybe I should try it,...

Having just busted out at first level when my QQ came up against AA :(..

I raised 5 x BB, 1 caller, Villian shoves all in .. ( for 3rd time in a row )

I call

limper calls with 99

Villian had AA and held up  ( not a moan by the way )

If I had been away this would never have happened though would it...

In truth though I have been known to miss the first few hands of a tourney waitng for the kettle to boil and once I was away for ages mid tourney when my connection dropped, by the time I was back I had slipped from 2nd chips to low stack and on the verge of an exit, it was very obvious that the other 3 had realised I had problems and had just waited for me to blind away .. a good tactic by them and a risk to anyone who thinks being away is a good plan...
  • edited July 2009
    ive been in a dym when there was 4 of us left and shared the blinds equall amongst ourselves, just so the player who was away didnt cash, sad really! but there you go.
  • edited July 2009
    ive been in a dym when there was 4 of us left and shared the blinds equall amongst ourselves, just so the player who was away didnt cash, sad really! but there you go.
    Posted by ROBBIEROTT

Happens alot. I hate "away" players cashing lol.

Pretty sure I've played a few DYM with you too :-)